Netflix's Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga Movie Review & Comments

Watched it with my other half yesterday, didn't think it was that terrible maybe 6.5/10

Sure there are better films but it went down fine whilst we had a few drinks on a Friday night.

Thanks Tom. We watched it last night and didn't hate it, dare I say because of the low expectations of a WF film these days that I actually quite enjoyed it. I will agree that's it's a bit too long. Early on I did have the "have they seen Fr. Ted?" moment that you allude to - in fact I did question to the wife that they can't rip off the idea completely considering there's a Fr. Ted actor in it.

I've not watched the contest in about 20 years since I was a kid but I do think they captured the cheese, campness and dodgy video feeds of scoring very well. I agree with your estimations on the songs, they're "good", I think the Russian one was actually the weakest. There are a handful of bits that produced a proper laugh from both of us.

I'd probably give it a 6-7. A perfectly acceptable watch with a beer and big bowl of popcorn. Keep expectations low and you may actually enjoy it.

My wife is massive Eurovision fan - in fact, I’ve been to three (THREE) Eurovision Song Contests with her (plus friends) as payment for her coming to gigs with me - her level of excitement at this film is ridiculous. I can’t help but think it’s going to be a disappointment to her

My wife is massive Eurovision fan - in fact, I’ve been to three (THREE) Eurovision Song Contests with her (plus friends) as payment for her coming to gigs with me - her level of excitement at this film is ridiculous. I can’t help but think it’s going to be a disappointment to her
She'll likely love the last 45 minutes or so. It's pure Eurovision.

My wife wants to watch this tonight. Saving Private Ryan is on sky, gutted. 😭

This isn’t as terrible as I envisaged

Just finished watching this. Weirdly I thought it was great. My tip to turn out to be one of the films of the year! Great performances from Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens. The music sequences were tremendous, sounded great in Neural-X. PQ was great too in 4KDV at 15meg. 8.5/10 for me and I'm not really a Eurovision watcher.

EDIT: changed Ben Stevens to Dan Stevens

Last edited:
Yep, I genuinely enjoyed that.

I mean, it was awful - but it wasn’t as awful as I expected it to be

Well I'm 1 hour into this, I'll agree PQ is great, sound honestly little disappointed.

So far its that bad I'm laughing, but I know I have to finish it though. 5 is definitely about right.

Edit; my wife had just said "turn it off". Result.

Last edited:
We watched this tonight. Absolutely brilliant. Loved every minute of it.

Totally unable to reconcile what we just watched with the given score...

Thought this was amiable enough, just lacked any proper laughs.
No Atmos for me, just the DV popped up at the start. Did something go wrong !? 🤔

We watched this yester eve and if you’re a Will Ferrell fan, in other words ‘get’ his goofy persona, you will likely enjoy this film ...it’s not a watch for a serious personality i.e. if you walked out of the cinema offended watching Dumb & Dumber; it’s not for you.

I’d give it a 7 for what it is... :)

Hate Eurovision, but really enjoyed this, just avery astute pisstake, 7.5/10 for me.

What I could t get out of my head is having deepened Ben Stevens voice, he sounded like the voiceover guy from Jane the Virgin

What I could t get out of my head is having deepened Ben Stevens voice, he sounded like the voiceover guy from Jane the Virgin

You mean Dan Stevens :)

I thought he was the highlight of the film. Great Russian accent.

Nearly all Will Ferrell Films get bad reviews and I thoroughly enjoy every one of them. I completly understand why people don't like him but if you do, you'll enjoy this one as well.

(Quote from the review) "...Oh, and let me repeat, if you don’t harbour a deep abiding love (ironic or otherwise) for Eurovision – there is absolutely nothing here for you. "

I totally disagree.

You know exactly what you're going to get with a Will Ferrell film, and you either love him or hate him. I absolutely loved it.

Very very funny indeed and although I'm not a fan of the real Eurovision, I enjoyed all the cameos.

Stunning in Dolby Vision too.

Last edited:
Yes I enjoyed this as well - brought a smile to my face. I do watch eurovision but I’m not a super fan by any means. Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens we’re both good in this. The songs were catchy - so yes a 7.5 for me as well - george

"The elves went too far!" :)

As mentioned on the other thread, the final song is awesome too. The film is just a bit too long but still worth a watch, especially if you're a Eurovision fan.

Not seen Eurovision for years, but I’m guessing the Song a long featured loads of Eurovision acts !?

You know exactly what you're going to get with a Will Ferrell film, and you either love him or hate him. I absolutely loved it.

Very very funny indeed and although I'm not a fan of the real Eurovision, I enjoyed all the cameos.

Stunning in Dolby Vision too.
I don't love or hate Will Ferrell, I just don't find his films funny.
Not watched this yet I might give it a spin tonight if only because I do love 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍Rachel McAdams.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom