Netflix's Marriage Story Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks cas for the review. It’s on the list.

Christ, My List on Netflix is longer than my daughters Christmas list.

Thanks Cas.....I think.

Cheers Cas....was reading the review, and thought this sounds just like Kramer vs Kramer...and then you mention it!

Watched this yesterday. It is excellent. Reminded me of The Affair (series) in how everything felt very, very real and very, very true to how us humans are. That’s pretty rare, and so was this. Also a big shout out to the choice of film stock... the colour and the grain are both very pleasing on the eye.

Cheers Cas, a lot of folk been bigging this up the last few days. Not one that was near the top of my list, but it is now.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, wouldn’t have thought it was my cup of tea and definitely would’ve given it the swerve but glad I watched it now.

Agree with the above, it felt so real and despite the lack of everything I usually go for in a film, kept me gripped right til the end.

Ive now put the Meyerowitz Stories right to the top of my to watch list!

Great cast, great script and great everything.

The scene between Charlie and Nicole at his place after they come to blows in court is particularly mindblowing.

Its basically a Kramer vs Kramer 2019.

You will enjoy the 2hr 16 mins I predict!

9/10 all day!

Not an easy view for sure. Great acting, abut way too long and an unconvincing ending. I wonder how much money the lawyers earned, from all that kerfuffle...! Moral: don't get married...

Marriage Story features easily some of the best acting I have seen all year. It never feels flashy or being prepared for a awards clip, just natural unforced acting. Can we please get Ray Liotta's character in a spin-off. He was tremendous!

Not an easy view for sure. Great acting, abut way too long and an unconvincing ending. I wonder how much money the lawyers earned, from all that kerfuffle...! Moral: don't get married...
If the solution to avoiding this nightmare is don't get married, it also means don't have children. The Great Replacement advances even more quickly.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of Baumbach, but this was very good.

It's a little stagey and theatrical at times, with a few long actorly monologues, but Driver and Johansen really brought the script to life, their performances being so good that the characters and story were very involving and credible. Certainly had a few wince inducing scenes, part of the story of course, but there were some really confident flourishes in the latter half.

Can certainly see why this has had strong reviews.

Really enjoyed this too, while a different story I said the same thing to my wife @Hampy1972 this is the modern telling the classic Kramer v Kramer.

Really enjoyed this too, while a different story I said the same thing to my wife @Hampy1972 this is the modern telling the classic Kramer v Kramer.
Glad you enjoyed it, I did :) even tho I keep thinking of him as Kylo Ren

If the solution to avoiding this nightmare is don't get married, it also means don't have children. The Great Replacement advances even more quickly.
That's what I will be recommending to my kids. 100%

Thanks for the review Cas, was on the fence over this and so put in the list of to watch sometime, maybe.

Can anyone tell me the joke Alan Alda is trying to recount when Charlie asks him how much it will cost? And, does Alan Alda have Parkinson's? His right hand kept twitching and he tried to hide it under the table.

Can anyone tell me the joke Alan Alda is trying to recount when Charlie asks him how much it will cost? And, does Alan Alda have Parkinson's? His right hand kept twitching and he tried to hide it under the table.
What he told:
This woman’s at her hairdresser’s, and she says, “I’m going to Rome on holiday.”
He says, “Oh really, what airline are you taking?”
She says, “Alitalia.”
He says, “Alitalia, are you crazy? That’s terrible, don’t take that.”
He says, “Where are you gonna stay?”
She says, “I’m gonna stay at The Hassler.”
“The Hassler! What, are you kidding? They’re renovating the Hassler. You’ll hear hammering all night long. You won’t sleep! What are you gonna see?”
She says, “I think I’m going to try to go to the Vatican.” “The Vatican? You’ll be standing in line all day long—”

What was missing:
So she goes to Rome. She comes back, and the hairdresser says, “How was it?”
She says, “It was a great trip, it was wonderful.”
“How was the Vatican?”
“Wonderful! We happened to meet the Pope.”
“You met the Pope?”
“Yeah, and he spoke to me.”
“What did he say to you?”
“He said, ‘Where’d you get that f***ing haircut?’”

I think I'm alone on the planet. I found this tedious, a remake of Kramer vs Kramer if you will. My takeaway , divorce is messy, lawyers are greedy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom