Netflix's Messiah Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Very generous scoring, gave up after 4 episodes. Just wasn’t going anywhere, you could tell this 10 parter could have easily been shrunk down to 6 episodes. Plenty scenes were just fillers and dragging a very simple straightforward plot. Every scene is left ambiguous intentionally.

Well I binge watched it all on New Years Day, loved it as it’s not clear whether he’s the real deal or just a elaborate hoax.
Hopefully it will return for season 2.

8/10

Just watched 3 episodes and me & wife are liking it. I'd agree with the score at this stage. Not a classic but I like the premis and certainly watchable.

At this stage 6-7 for me.

Loved it, binged the entire season in a day, was only going to do one or two episodes but couldn’t stop watching it.
High quality production design with capable actors and a decent script. Many thought provoking moments and enough ambiguity to keep you guessing on where the story was heading. Highly recommended

Yeah, my opinion on this changed as it went on. Firstly, it’s very well made, and most of its logic passes the sniff test, unlike something like Jack Ryan which to me comes off as fan fiction written by a 45 year-old having a mid-life crisis. This in itself makes Messiah worthy of sticking with.

By around episode five, though, and with the core mystery still being ‘Is he or isn’t he?’ I began to wonder how long they could keep it up. I mean, scene after scene basically boiling down to ‘He IS the Messiah’, closely followed by ‘But is he, though?’ Can only go on for so long before you have to elevate the idea and take it somewhere else.

I was flabbergasted by the season finale, which continued the trend with 55 minutes of ‘He definitely is not the Messiah, he’s just a con man’, quickly followed by five minutes of ‘Oh, but he definitely is the Messiah’.

I actually got angry at it for wasting my time. The sheer gall of thinking they can string this same question out across multiple seasons. Unbelievable. So, I come back to what I first said. Enjoyable for the most part, but could have been so much better if they had just made a definite call on it. He IS the Messiah, so what now? What does that mean for him, for the world, and for those who wouldn’t believe? Would they still not believe? Would the world change? Would others seek to kill or silence him? It would become a lot more interesting at this point, but no. Is he? Isn’t he? That’s all we get.

I agree with your 6/10 here, on balance. But with the caveat that there is real craft and care at work here. It’s well written, beautifully shot and features some great performances. It’s just a shame it’s chosen to back and forth on the question of whether he is or isn’t to the point of parody.

Agree and I’ll put up my 2 pennies worth at some point though I was struck at the fear of those in power to a threat to “their” world order when the messiahs demands as you like had meaningful and peaceful intentions.

Watched 3 episodes last night, enjoying it so far, at this stage I would give it a 7, maybe 8.

He's meant to be a version of
The AntiChrist
. It was already spoilt because the Arabic title was clear to anyone who had even a basic understanding of Islamic theology. It didn't occur to them that millions of people (many who don't even speak Arabic) would still know the meaning of the title. The same thing happened in Homeland where they got Arabic graffiti sprayed for effect not knowing that the graffiti was actually making fun of the show.

Slow in parts and helpful that end credits at the end of each episode is over 3 mins long :)

Easy watch really and nothing that special..
Could have been better but the series tries to keep you guessing if the Al-M is fake or Baby Yoda.

7/10 for me.

Just finished it, Myself and Mrs Fingers enjoyed it. Makes a refreshing change from the norm. Not perfect, but what is?

Thumbs up from me! :thumbsup:

Yeah, my opinion on this changed as it went on. Firstly, it’s very well made, and most of its logic passes the sniff test, unlike something like Jack Ryan which to me comes off as fan fiction written by a 45 year-old having a mid-life crisis. This in itself makes Messiah worthy of sticking with.

By around episode five, though, and with the core mystery still being ‘Is he or isn’t he?’ I began to wonder how long they could keep it up. I mean, scene after scene basically boiling down to ‘He IS the Messiah’, closely followed by ‘But is he, though?’ Can only go on for so long before you have to elevate the idea and take it somewhere else.

I was flabbergasted by the season finale, which continued the trend with 55 minutes of ‘He definitely is not the Messiah, he’s just a con man’, quickly followed by five minutes of ‘Oh, but he definitely is the Messiah’.

I actually got angry at it for wasting my time. The sheer gall of thinking they can string this same question out across multiple seasons. Unbelievable. So, I come back to what I first said. Enjoyable for the most part, but could have been so much better if they had just made a definite call on it. He IS the Messiah, so what now? What does that mean for him, for the world, and for those who wouldn’t believe? Would they still not believe? Would the world change? Would others seek to kill or silence him? It would become a lot more interesting at this point, but no. Is he? Isn’t he? That’s all we get.

I agree with your 6/10 here, on balance. But with the caveat that there is real craft and care at work here. It’s well written, beautifully shot and features some great performances. It’s just a shame it’s chosen to back and forth on the question of whether he is or isn’t to the point of parody.

You must be new to Netflix. I don't think there's one series I haven't wished had been a 4 parter with a conclusion rather than a puffed up 10 parter left open for a 2nd series.

You must be new to Netflix. I don't think there's one series I haven't wished had been a 4 parter with a conclusion rather than a puffed up 10 parter left open for a 2nd series.

You missed my point. Few series flip-flop back and forth on a single question and resolve literally nothing after ten episodes. I never said I wished it were shorter, or that I take issue with endings being left open.

You missed my point. Few series flip-flop back and forth on a single question and resolve literally nothing after ten episodes. I never said I wished it were shorter, or that I take issue with endings being left open.
I don't think I missed anything you wrote. I also didn't say anything about whether you wanted it to be shorter or have an ending. What I wrote was how I feel about most (if not, all) Netflix series. I'm very happy for you to enjoy drawn out, inconclusive dramas if that's your thing.

I don't think I missed anything you wrote. I also didn't say anything about whether you wanted it to be shorter or have an ending. What I wrote was how I feel about most (if not, all) Netflix series. I'm very happy for you to enjoy drawn out, inconclusive dramas if that's your thing.

You said 'YOU' must be new to Netflix, which implies the opinion which follows is instructional on the content found on Netflix generally and aimed specifically at me. The instruction which followed, that, in your opinion, all Netflix series are drawn out and inconclusive, I reject. And I specifically said I didn't enjoy this as much as I could due to the inconclusive season finale, which sticks out as unusual when applied to just a single narrative question. But whatever dude.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying it, 7/10, and it seems to mirror the source characters life quite nicely. ...
Inconclusive first season finale left open for a second season:D

You said 'YOU' must be new to Netflix, which implies the opinion which follows is instructional on the content found on Netflix generally and aimed specifically at me. The instruction which followed, that, in your opinion, all Netflix series are drawn out and inconclusive, I reject. And I specifically said I didn't enjoy this as much as I could due to the inconclusive season finale, which sticks out as unusual when applied to just a single narrative question. But whatever dude.
LOL. You're perfectly entitled to misinterpret my words and argue the toss if that's what tickles your toes, carry on as much as you like, however, I probably won't reply further. :smashin:

Watched 6 Episodes so far I'm really enjoying it really good idea for a show.

Suspicious user name to be saying that sort of thing jDEVIL.
Just an observation:)

I enjoyed this, it's a little slow in parts and the series could have been cut to about 6-8 episodes.

And as someone else pointed out it keeps you guessing till the end.

Give it an 8/10

I hope a season 2 comes along.

Just watched 3 episodes and me & wife are liking it. I'd agree with the score at this stage. Not a classic but I like the premis and certainly watchable.

At this stage 6-7 for me.

So now watched it all and can't wait for next season. An 8 for me & wife.

As usual, can't go on "professional" reviews out on the web much of the time. Always see what "Joe Public" comments are.

please tell me i am not the only one who quotes Life of Brian when watching this? 'He is a very naughty boy!'

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom