Netflix's Space Force Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Initially found it really slow and not that funny, but then after the chimpanzee astronaut episode finding it hilarious and the characters are growing on me.

Loved it and binged it over an evening and morning.

There were some decent laugh out loud moments for me
'Julio, spacesuit' and the whole monkey and dog skit

The characters definitely settle in as it progresses, Lisa Kudrow does a decent job.

7 out of 10

I was looking forward to this, but after seeing the score and reading your comments I may give it a miss

Some nice ideas, and a great cast, but it just didn't work. Comedy is always about timing, and something about the pacing just jarred. I felt Carrell was trying too much to be a cross between Leslie Nielson and Steve Martin, but wasn't zany enough to be Nielson, or up tight enough to be Martin.

I got to the part where he started to sing 'Kokomo' and decided I'd had enough.

Shame it wasn't better.

Regards,
James.

No doubt the standards of the programs and people watching it have gone up in the last couple of years with the explosion of thousands of series over various OTT's. It def has broadened our views and opinions but not giving a chance to something like this is a total shame in my humble opinion. What do people expect these days from a show ? Does this series blow your mind ? it doesnt but com mon, its watchable and people should give it a chance I feel.

Quite enjoyed it, will be a forgettable bingable series, and mercifuly short.

There were a few jokes about POTUS and his ego, but was quite retrained IMO.
Pleny of visual/verbal gags about how the new spaceforce was trying to be all PC/Heath and Safety vs the Airforce just do it attitute to balance that out.

So overall quite neutral if people are concerned about politics first based programming.

It felt like they kept a fair few things back to build a methos/world around, but that could also be just poor writing and a wasted cast.

A few characters got a chance to grow in the short run though.

With Netflix's 2 series and then bin it stratery, probbaly for the best that most of their stuff has been forgettable with the exception of some of the big hitters.

7/10 for me, watch it if there is nothing else on, its enjoyable enough but not tentpole stuff, tbf like much of TV before on-demand.

I quite enjoyed this as well - good seeing malkovich doing comedy. Thought Carrell was a little restrained probably due to his part as an Air Force general. So a 7/10 from me - george

No doubt the standards of the programs and people watching it have gone up in the last couple of years with the explosion of thousands of series over various OTT's. It def has broadened our views and opinions but not giving a chance to something like this is a total shame in my humble opinion. What do people expect these days from a show ? Does this series blow your mind ? it doesn't but com mon, its watchable and people should give it a chance I feel.

I think the very fact that there is so much choice, and endless great content available, is the reason why programmes have to have a 'hook' very early on, to get people to keep watching. I like slow burners, but many US programmes are 24 episodes per season, and that's a big commitment to get through.

Long gone are the days of only 4 (3) channels available where you'd be happy to pass the time with anything that wasn't awful. 'Space Force' isn't awful in my opinion, but I'd rather cut my losses early on and watch something else that I really like. If others love it, or want to give it longer, that's great. But many of us just don't have the time to continue if it doesn't click within the first episode.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
Count me in the "enjoyed it" camp! Sure, it's not breaking the mould but it was a decent laugh.

Some nice ideas, and a great cast, but it just didn't work. Comedy is always about timing, and something about the pacing just jarred. I felt Carrell was trying too much to be a cross between Leslie Nielson and Steve Martin, but wasn't zany enough to be Nielson, or up tight enough to be Martin.

I got to the part where he started to sing 'Kokomo' and decided I'd had enough.

Shame it wasn't better.

Regards,
James.
I agree.

I couldn't put my finger on it at first but Carrell seemed to be pausing or timing off. After seeing him flow seamlessly in The Office he seemed to be way off in this but I have only seen 2.

Watched the first 3 episodes and it's not bad. Episode 2 was very funny imo. Looking forward to binging it the rest of the week.

Thank you for taking the time to respond @THX1138UK. Solid viewpoint and I got nothing to disagree there. I am only saying people setting the the bar so high can loose some descent shows. Not all series can be Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. Having read the comments and reviews, am sure atleast a minority of them would give this a miss. Sorry, I feel like a spokesperon for this show now lol. I will be the first person to admit I expected more from Steve Carell but it does have some some funny bits. Its a bit about perception too, right but yes of course people can watch what they please in thier own time :)

I managed about twenty minutes before switching off .Expected something a hell of a lot better. Started okay and then rapidly accelerated downhill.

Same here, I couldn't make it through the first episode, I thought it was dire. It could have potentially been great like Seth McFarlanes The Orville but I didn't find it funny, at all, and I didn't warm towards any of the characters except John Malkovichs or have any interest in seeing more.

"Great Telly" requires constant attention/investment... Sometimes it's nice to have an easy watch - and for us this was a pretty good "easy watch" with a progressive story line so we were happy. I totally get its a tongue in cheek show but the number of times my work life resonated with it significantly increased my engagement.

Its not the funniest show ever produced I don't think its meant to be, the first few episodes were a bit hard work but I've warmed to its style, the meetings of the Joint Chiefs is always good, its stupid but quite watchable and the cast is great...I've the last episode still to watch and look forward to it.

It kind of help I decided to watch the last episode first just to see what the big deal it's about and then watch as per normal. And I got hook to it.

Granted if I watch as per normal it would be a 6 but since I knew what happens in the end it's a 9 for me.

I think I am on episode 8 right now... it is OK to pass the time, but I can't say I actually thought any of it was very funny at all... seemed more American cringe jokes and puns which seemed very childish and simplistic (maybe their target audience) eg paintball.

I never saw the American version of The Office so I don't know what Carrell was like in that, but in this the way he speaks is grating... like a clown without the makeup. And the entire themes about him being loyal to wife and whatever the hell that entire subplot is about is just way too blue-pilled for my liking. Its just the 40yo virgin promoted to general here.

The only character/actor I actually think is good in this is John Malkovich - I love his dry humour and sarcasm - "I have some old school diaries that you could broadcast to the entire base". Some of the other actors come across very poorly in a lot of scenes.

Overall so far 3/10

Did you read the review?
Because I basically said the opposite of what you just said.
Also what you're describing, when applied to comedy, is called satire and is the bedrock for some of the funniest comedies of the last 50 or more years.
Yes Minister, The New Statesman, The Thick of It, Veep, The Daily Show, South Park...
Comedy without an agenda is like eating a burger bun with no burger inside.
I remember The New Statesman, Alan B'Stard was genius and brilliantly played by the legendary Rik Mayall. I'll give this a go, 6/10 is worth a visit and it could be an ozzzy 8

D78AEE88-29FE-4042-BB5F-B0E4B99432F9.jpeg

First episode done
3/10
We'll give it one more episode. Not impressed.

Very very odd, looks and sounds fantastic, i have got to episode 3 and the idea's are there but my oh my it just falls totally flat. It just manages to somehow not be funny or even a black comedy I just don't really know what I am to make of it.
It sort of reminds of Parks and Recreation in tone which was a slow burner. I don't think I will be watching much more, the only good thing in this is John Malkovich who tends to steal any of the scenes he's in no matter how brief and made some very sad observations re how much six billion is in actual physical human costs. That however will not be enough to keep going with this.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom