Netflix's The Stranger Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Fair review BUT, I seriously enjoyed this and binged it over the weekend. It does seem to know it's an overwrought soapfest and rolls with it.

Yes I also really enjoyed it - far from perfect, some poor acting (that kid that wanted to be the new James Cordon was as irritating as the real one) and a face palm worthy ending that ties all the threads together - but it was still entertaining. I gave it 7/10.

It may be a bit exaggerated, but I think it’s very entertaining .

Thanks Cas, I thought the trailer looked ok to be honest but based on that I think you may have saved me 8 hours (giver or take!) of my life! Cracking on with October Faction instead, which so far seems pretty good but to early to tell for sure.

Some days I really don't envy you, Cas. I gave this all of ten minutes before shouting 'Oh, just **** off' at it and consigning it to the forgotten pile.

We binged it over the weekend, but I thought the plot had more holes than a packet of Polos.

Thanks Cas, I thought the trailer looked ok to be honest but based on that I think you may have saved me 8 hours (giver or take!) of my life! Cracking on with October Faction instead, which so far seems pretty good but to early to tell for sure.
Just consumed the first episode, so far quite like it and a lot of acting talent thrown into the mix what could possibly go wrong? Loving October Fest!

First episode I enjoyed, second episode seemed a bit like they were making things up as they went along, sounds like it just gets worse from there. Thanks Cas, you may have saved me 6 hours of my life......

A fair review, a program which I really enjoyed it in parts but other parts came across very predictable.

I lasted two ep's, to see Jennifer's go at a 'serious' performance, after seeing her go on about how hard it was for her to not be comedic. She clearly never saw any of this and/or her performance that drifted all over the shop from lame melodrama to absurdity. Still, she wasn't helped by clap slap sound effects, poor action timing etc. that had me laughing.
All people in these things react the same to blackmail and secrets. It's amazing how not knowing one thing sends characters into a total free fall of despair about others.
Total mess.
Oh blimey, just noted the title with Season One...surely not more?!

Me and the wife really enjoyed it too - watched the whole thing over saturday and sunday.

Only seen the first ep which we enjoyed. I will persevere albeit with low expectation

I actually started to watch this last night as I read some decent reviews. So far after one episode it reminded me of a soap with a bigger budget, and posh people. Was debating whether to continue, but Cas' review has made my mind up. Hard to believe the plots become more ludicrous after the first episode though!

Wow! What a terrible review.

The things that bother the reviewer is what makes multi-layered crime drama so entertaining.

Either the 'critic' is unfamiliar with Harlan Coben's work or just isn't a fan of thrilling drama.

Please go watch 'Tell No One' and if you don't like that, then it is the former and therefore this can't be seen as a balanced and objective or fair review.

It's a bit weak and Hollyoakish..
Could have been better I thought.
Plot is weak and everyone lives in beautiful houses and drive posh cars..

5/10.

Wow! What a terrible review.

The things that bother the reviewer is what makes multi-layered crime drama so entertaining.

Either the 'critic' is unfamiliar with Harlan Coben's work or just isn't a fan of thrilling drama.

Please go watch 'Tell No One' and if you don't like that, then it is the former and therefore this can't be seen as a balanced and objective or fair review.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Did you have a problem reading beyond the score?

First line of the review: "Novelist Coben has proven quite popular on both the thriller front and the Young Adult front, with the output from the former genre seeking much French attention, including the excellent 2006 adaptation of Tell No One"

:facepalm:

I think the scores a little harsh and yeh some acting isn't brilliant and little dodgy script but it's definitely a decent enough watch.

I watched all of it tonight and enjoyed it but thought the ending was weak , can anyone tell me.
how did the cops know where the girls lived so they could burst in at the right time

@Obsgamer
Katz had Johanna‘s mobile in his pocket

Me and my wife really enjoyed it. I think some people want total perfection in movies and tv series and if it doesn’t meet that criteria it’s classed as crap. yes it’s not perfect but a very good series.. 7-5 out of ten.

In fairness, 'ludicrous mystery thrills, pointless teen angst and an abortive murderous sub-plot' sums up a fair bit of Shakespeare's output - if you're looking for an original storyline that's not been done before then you're inevitably going to end up disappointed - one man's contrived narrative is another man's killer plot twist.
Not that I'm comparing this to the Bard, but I doubt it's target demographic is the kind of audience who avidly re-watch Kurosawa's back catalogue or six hour Ingmar Bergman epics about the meaning of life.
I watched the first episode with the wife and it's not my cup of tea, but she loves it - sometimes you just want a bit of mindless candyfloss rather than intellectual stimulation.
Mind you, she loves Strictly so perhaps the intellectual bar isn't set particularly high.

Me and my wife really enjoyed it. I think some people want total perfection in movies and tv series and if it doesn’t meet that criteria it’s classed as crap. yes it’s not perfect but a very good series.. 7-5 out of ten.
I'm with you on that. Sure it is contrived and far fetched but it holds the attention nevertheless.

The by-play between the two cops was great.
The angst of the Armitage lead character interesting.
His eldest son pleasantly refreshing amongst the kids.
A level of suspense to try and bring it all together.

Couple all of that with some beautiful Manchester area scenes and its a winner for me.

Brilliantly put mtenga.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom