Netflix's Warrior Nun Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

thanks for the review

watched 6 episodes so far and agree a solid 8 and very engaging and entertaining show which i will finish today

very good presentation in DV and Atmos too

Accurate review, thanks, started watching last night , its good agree with the score, could it really be the new Buffy? time will tell.

Favourable Buffy comparisons? That's tonight sorted then. 😁

Great review, I'm in!🤣

Good review - on the watch list

Whoa there a minute, hold the door etc etc
Comparison with Buffy!

I'll have to watch this now!

What a coincidence! I just came across this show while googling for something else this morning. Started looking into it, saw the trailer and I'm a little worried.

Any other time I could see this as another Buffy. In current times I'm already wondering how they will mess it up to score virtue points. Even the final series of Buffy started down that path so I'm not hopeful. DC Universe Harley Quinn is another great show that started to go off the rails by the middle of season 2. I saw the warning signs but it's such a well written show I let it pass.

I'm not sure they can help themselves. We'll see I guess. I would love to be wrong.

I watched the whole series 'til 03.30 this morning, think that says it all, spot on review thanks Tom.

The fam' will give this a try.
However, voice-over's generally peeve me and the notion that paraplegia can make for lonely, self-talking people is perhaps a bit clunky too in these 'aware' days.
Tom, your still high overall caveat-laden score offers hope. But I certainly agree that Netflix' less than adept cramming (appropriate use of C word) always gives me a sense of reticence.

the notion that paraplegia can make for lonely, self-talking people is perhaps a bit clunky too
That's entirely my supposition about the reasoning for it. It could be that it's just bad writing.
Either way, it stops being intrusive around episode 3 or 4.

Last edited:
What a coincidence! I just came across this show while googling for something else this morning. Started looking into it, saw the trailer and I'm a little worried.

Any other time I could see this as another Buffy. In current times I'm already wondering how they will mess it up to score virtue points. Even the final series of Buffy started down that path so I'm not hopeful. DC Universe Harley Quinn is another great show that started to go off the rails by the middle of season 2. I saw the warning signs but it's such a well written show I let it pass.

I'm not sure they can help themselves. We'll see I guess. I would love to be wrong.
Yes. It's always fun to find out which woke issue of the moment a television show will shoehorn in, and lecture me about.

finished the series and thoroughly enjoyed it - will watch another season if made

I am half way through and i am quite enjoying it. Voice over reminds me of thought bubbles in comics and this is meant to be derived from a comic book - george

Hold on a minute, something decent on Netflix? That doesn't sound right but I'll definitely give it a try after your review.

Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood last night but I barely made it through the first two and I thought it was incoherent rubbish.

Might give it another go next week.

I've watched it all. I'm not sure what score I would give it as I found it very uneven. However, I thought the second half of the season was much better than the first. I'm gonna say 6.5/10.

Watched the first one last night and was really underwhelmed.
I'll watch the second episode later.
If it doesn't pick up I'll drop it.

I watched the first 2 last night and for me saw lots of potential for the coming episodes, I hope the plot goes as I hope already :D, a more up to date buffy'esk series for sure in my thoughts, was even hoping for a bit of True Blood humor too.

Favourable Buffy comparisons? That's tonight sorted then. 😁
Just hold on while you watch the first episodes. Not really that engaging. I think I went through 3 episodes and I am not wowed, but the show has a lot of potential, and I agree the characters are likeable but the producers and director can still turn this into a mess.

I agree that Netflix's Warrior Nun does appear to be following the pop culture trope of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' having a nubile young girl who gradually discovers her true destiny as a demon slayer, it also continues the recent trend for creating new lines of TV/movie female super hero Amazon Warriors.
'Motherland: Fort Salem', is another female-oriented series which also has a martial arts theme (of sorts) but it featured witches magic rather than the Catholic Church as a backdrop.
The Catholic Church has always been a handy institution for story tellers to bring in Heaven, Hell and the spawn of the Devil, those secret Vatican armies and devious Cardinals fighting evil and heretics alike leave the KGB for dead, but watching Warrior Nun you have to leave your brain on idle and go with the flow, Warrior Nun wants to take its time introducing subplots and characters even though the principal demon from Hell does appeared early, unlike the monster in 'Stranger Things'.
You would have to think Warrior Nun's story will expand as each season goes along, Warrior Nun has the potential to have a long run on Netflix, but we'll have to wait and see.
I agree with 8/10 rating.

Watched the first episode and it seems like it's made for children. Don't think I'll carry on.

Struggled with the first two episodes. Got into it as it progressed. Just watched the season end. Enjoyed it and hope it’s picked up for season 2.

Yep I agree last 3 episodes were pretty good. I hope Netflix pickup a season 2 as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom