Netflix's White Lines Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, I'm on Ep 5 and must say I had really high hopes for this one due to the back ground of the team Money Heist which I think is brilliant. Must say your review and score sum it up to date for me , I will watch it to the end but think its hit its level.

Surprised to see The Guardian gave this 4/5 today.

I only saw the trailer and it looked pretty awful, which doesn’t bode well.

Like others I find this show no more than a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best, yet I find myself up to episode 5 already, go figure. As is the modern way episode 1 is packed full of gratuitous nudity and a full blown orgy so that will get them hooked and coming back for more. A few episodes later watch out for the Spanish matriarch "convincing" the priest to bless her land.

I agree about the ridiculous contrived plot device of talking to the camera, it's cringeworthy.

The Manc accents are a bit ropey (speaking as a Manc) and Laura Haddock is just eye candy and doesn't have the acting chops to take a lead role.

Finally and a really trivial point that made me chuckle, but the policeman dad who they have made out to be as dull, boring, and old fashioned in his attitudes as can be, do you really think he would call a son of his Axel?

Oh well only another 5 episodes to go, there's one born every minute :)

Surprised to see The Guardian gave this 4/5 today.

I only saw the trailer and it looked pretty awful, which doesn’t bode well.
The Guardian reviewer in question didn't rate Chernobyl highly, so much so that The Guardian rushed out another review by somebody else when it was critically acclaimed. Ever since I have taken the view that our tastes are so different that I should ignore their opinion.

Have to say I'm quite enjoying it

Spot on review from AVF.

How did they manage to make this so bad?

It has all the right ingredients, and as someone who came of age back at the height of the rave scene, it was in theory right up my street.

Yet somewhere, around episode 4 I think, it turned into Hollyoaks. It wasn't helped by the fact the main character was so annoying. Are we meant to empathise and sympathise with her, when she was an absolute and insufferable knob? In fact virtually every character was unlikable, and the plot was just off-the-scale stupid, but not in a good way, more what I would expect in a pedestrian ITV soap opera.

Kept watching, but by episode 7 found myself thinking a really couldn’t care less who killed Axel.

5/10

Last edited:
Like others I find this show no more than a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best, yet I find myself up to episode 5 already, go figure. As is the modern way episode 1 is packed full of gratuitous nudity and a full blown orgy so that will get them hooked and coming back for more. A few episodes later watch out for the Spanish matriarch "convincing" the priest to bless her land.

I agree about the ridiculous contrived plot device of talking to the camera, it's cringeworthy.

The Manc accents are a bit ropey (speaking as a Manc) and Laura Haddock is just eye candy and doesn't have the acting chops to take a lead role.

Finally and a really trivial point that made me chuckle, but the policeman dad who they have made out to be as dull, boring, and old fashioned in his attitudes as can be, do you really think he would call a son of his Axel?

Oh well only another 5 episodes to go, there's one born every minute :)

Agree Laura Haddock isn’t good enough to carry off a lead role like this, but eye candy she isn’t. I actually found her quite unattractive.

Funny you mentioned the naming of Axel, I thought the same thing. Not way would he have been called that, especially in the 1970s when he would have been named.

I'm going to stick at it, I'm up to episode 7 now. A good litmus test for me as to how much I'm enjoying a programme is if I want to binge watch 2 or 3 episodes a night. With this one I'm afraid one episode per sitting is sufficient. I should really get a life. If you log onto my Netflix a/c it is full of "continue watching" . films and shows that I've started but just given up on. There really is some dross on there. I watched the film Extraction a week or two back, my god how bad was that!

Also, the scenes from the 1990’s were awful. I know we have been spoilt by shows like Stranger Things, but they did a poor job of portraying the era and the dance scene it was set in, the look and feel was all wrong. Didn’t even come close. It just came across like a few kids wearing slightly retro clothes, which of course they do now anyway.

It was also spoilt by the fact that obviously want to spin a few seasons out of this, and put a load of unfinished character and subplot developments in, which annoys me a lot when they do that.

Anyone else guess who the killer was? We did quite a few episodes from the final. It was obvious because they didn’t make it obvious. The only major character without motive, at least until it was revealed in the last episode. As with most who-dunnits, you simply think ‘who are they making me suspicious it could have been’, then immediately discount them. She was the only major character left. That’s just lazy script/story writing. At one stage I thought we might be spare the Father Brown level nonsense, but no it was as anticlimactic as I was expecting, which I guess is why it was an anticlimax, but I was still hoping for a slight twist. No joy.

I have to say if the awful and totally unbelievable jet washer scene, which was 100 times worse than the hocky FaceTime and talking head camera scenes, had been near the start of the season I would have definitely have not bothered watching to the end.

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed it despite negative reviews,okay it was not perfect but what is,
7/10 from me,worth a watch especially with the dribble on normal tv....

Also, the scenes from the 1990’s were awful. I know we have been spoilt by shows like Stranger Things, but they did a poor job of portraying the era and the dance scene it was set in, the look and feel was all wrong. Didn’t even come close. It just came across like a few kids wearing slightly retro clothes, which of course they do now anyway.

It was also spoilt by the fact that obviously want to spin a few seasons out of this, and put a load of unfinished character and subplot developments in, which annoys me a lot when they do that.

Anyone else guess who the killer was? We did quite a few episodes from the final. It was obvious because they didn’t make it obvious. The only major character without motive, at least until it was revealed in the last episode. As with most who-dunnits, you simply think ‘who are they making me suspicious it could have been’, then immediately discount them. She was the only major character left. That’s just lazy script/story writing. At one stage I thought we might be spare the Father Brown level nonsense, but no it was as anticlimactic as I was expecting, which I guess is why it was an anticlimax, but I was still hoping for a slight twist. No joy.

I have to say if the awful and totally unbelievable jet washer scene, which was 100 times worse than the hocky FaceTime and talking head camera scenes, had been near the start of the season I would have definitely have not bothered watching to the end.

The music is spot on with slam positive - education, age of love - age of love amongst other "proper tracks" from that time. I was expecting the normal poorly researched music to be played and not the music that was actually played at the underground events not just in ibiza but in clubs here. So was pleasantly surprised that they got that right.

I'm enjoying it up to episode 7 now.

The music is spot on with slam positive - education, age of love - age of love amongst other "proper tracks" from that time. I was expecting the normal poorly researched music to be played and not the music that was actually played at the underground events not just in ibiza but in clubs here. So was pleasantly surprised that they got that right.

I'm enjoying it up to episode 7 now.

True, there was a decent selection of tunes. That was probably the best part, I do wish there had been more. Having been the Ibiza 3 times, back in its hay day, aesthetically it was very unconvincing.

I really enjoyed this tv show, I only listened to it in 2ch but the club music scenes sounded really bassy

Really really bad Television.

How I sat through the whole 10 episodes I’ll never know. In fact, the only conceivable way I could’ve enjoyed this show is if I took an E.

Last edited:
The sound track is brilliant, the rest forgettable

I enjoyed the first 6 episodes but from 7 onwards it got abit daft IMO

I really enjoyed it overall despite its flaws and after binge watching it would definitely watch more episodes. I thought it had a good plot that carried the 10 episodes and overall good acting, although it was a little bit too far fetched in some places. As others have said the soundtrack is really good. Although it is a 'whodunnit' in the end it was more about Axels friends and families stories rather than what actually happened to him. I thought it was entertaining and something a bit different from other murder mysteries / hedonistic Ibiza films that hasn't, as far as I'm aware, been done before.

Wait, Hollyoaks On Drugs had a plot?

I guess that ‘someone died a while back, we will tell you who killed them in the last episode, meanwhile here’s a bunch of unlikable people mincing about...’, is technically a plot, but not much of one.

Last edited:
^ people at this level are often unlikable, that's how they stay successful.

The scene in the boardroom said it all - charging punters a larger mark-up for whatever they were selling in the restaurants and clubs than the mark-up on cocaine...

Parts of lower class Manchester still look the same as they did in the 70's - only the cars and the amount of rubbish on the streets changes over the decades...

I am quite enjoying this series, even if it does have a whiff of Death in Paradise about it - a jolly for most of the actors...

Looking for my lost brother but I will drink, do drugs and dance into the limelight as I am now here :)....... erm ok!

The only highlight for me and the most convincing character of that lot was *BOXER*
They could have completed this 6 episodes. Long, slow and characters you did not really care about in the end.....

I struggled with it big time tbh but got to the end.... Give it 6/10

Just started this... What's with the weird off center aspect ratio? Small sliver of black on top and big border on the bottom... Its the first time I've ever seen something like this and can't tell if it's my TV or something...

IMG_20200602_223828.jpg

Late to the party, we just started last night and watched the 1st two episodes. Enjoying it so far.

Mainly decided to give it a go as we've just finished watching all parts of Money Heist and really enjoyed that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom