Bargain Expired Network Bonkers Sale

A lot of folk wouldn't bother. They may well be putting customers off with that postal charge.

Bri

Agreed.

With some online businesses, the more you order, the less you pay in postage ..

Last edited:
Over the last couple of weeks have ordered:-

Terrahawks complete series blu ray
Sewers of Gold
The Hard Way
Defence of The Realm
Honky Tonk Freeway
Filmed In Supermarionation book

Wished they’d put on sale The Sweeney complete (14 discs) series dvd. I have the first series on blu ray and they aren’t planning on releasing anymore on blu ray. I emailed and asked them not long ago.

And The Worker with Charlie Drake and Henry McGee. I loved it as a kid but I doubt if it'd work now. I saw Henry in a play once and he was brilliant.

Bri
Charlie with Mr Pugh

I mostly just place Network orders for individual items as and when I decide to buy them. I don't really mind the repeated checkouts as it usually only takes a few extra clicks / moments to complete. This sale has ended up putting a fairly crazy amount of activity on my Network account though - just counted 20 orders, one of which did have 2 items (seemed natural to buy Second Thoughts & Faith In The Future together) plus another few items ordered from Zoom and Amazon. Thankfully they probably only average around £5 each, so the amount spent isn't too shocking!

Also spotted Sink Or Swim at Zoom for £8.40 on Saturday and intended to pick it up later but the price had doubled when I returned on Sunday. Incidentally they still have the aforementioned Warn That Man (BD) for a slightly lower £2.70 price.

I mostly just place Network orders for individual items as and when I decide to buy them. I don't really mind the repeated checkouts as it usually only takes a few extra clicks / moments to complete. This sale has ended up putting a fairly crazy amount of activity on my Network account though - just counted 20 orders, one of which did have 2 items (seemed natural to buy Second Thoughts & Faith In The Future together) plus another few items ordered from Zoom and Amazon. Thankfully they probably only average around £5 each, so the amount spent isn't too shocking!

Also spotted Sink Or Swim at Zoom for £8.40 on Saturday and intended to pick it up later but the price had doubled when I returned on Sunday. Incidentally they still have the aforementioned Warn That Man (BD) for a slightly lower £2.70 price.

I have to keep on having to putting my payment details in again which takes up more than a few moments.

Bri

Is it just me or is anyone else finding this sale a bit underwhelming?

It just seems to be a load of dreck that would end up clogging up the shelves unwatched and unloved.

And I know I'm now going to get loads of replies saying, "oh, but I bought 25 items and they're all brilliant!", and I did buy two bargains myself, but I would've been a lot happier if there'd been more Blu-Rays on offer.

Is it just me or is anyone else finding this sale a bit underwhelming?

It just seems to be a load of dreck that would end up clogging up the shelves unwatched and unloved.

And I know I'm now going to get loads of replies saying, "oh, but I bought 25 items and they're all brilliant!", and I did buy two bargains myself, but I would've been a lot happier if there'd been more Blu-Rays on offer.

Kind of agree to be fair, I bought some titles from Amazon for roughly the same prices as the Network bonkers sale but none of them were in the sale, just reminded me to get them.

The Outsider, Ransom, Unearthly Stranger, Waterfront, Victim, Warn That Man, Campbell's Kingdom, Mine Own Executioner all £2.99
Blue Money £3.99

I'm pretty happy with the sale having got some blus and some DVDs. The last series of The Professionals at £6 was rather excellent. On what we've seen it is the poorest of the four but we've still watched up to and including episode seven. That's very good going for us especially when we're watching quite a bit of other stuff at the same time. The Retro Action Blu was rather dire though.

Bri

I've just received this huge box.

20180913_102215.jpg

It contained just these.

20180913_102453.jpg

That's my viewing for the rest of the year taken care of.

:D
Bri

I still haven't started my box of The Saint monochrome series. I live in hopes that by the time I've finished it they will have released the colour series on Blu-ray. I keep resisting whenever the colour series DVD set comes up in sales.
The Retro Action Blu was rather dire though.
Oh dear. I usually avoid these, preferring to buy whole series, and waiting for them to make it to BD complete. However, at £2 I was intrigued by Shirley's World, and figured I would at least have HD versions of The Baron and Danger Man episodes to switch over to when going through the DVD boxsets.

I still haven't started my box of The Saint monochrome series. I live in hopes that by the time I've finished it they will have released the colour series on Blu-ray. I keep resisting whenever the colour series DVD set comes up in sales.

Oh dear. I usually avoid these, preferring to buy whole series, and waiting for them to make it to BD complete. However, at £2 I was intrigued by Shirley's World, and figured I would at least have HD versions of The Baron and Danger Man episodes to switch over to when going through the DVD boxsets.

Shirley's World was the worst of the lot I'm afraid. It's Wiki page claims it to be a sitcom. The episode presented certainly wasn't a sitcom. It's actually quite hard to describe what it was attempting. It was completely forgettable. It didn't ring any bells up front and I was wondering if it was even shown in our area. It may well be I caught one episode and never went back.

The Baron was clearly an early episode, Garrett said it's the third one, and it wasn't that good. I don't know if it improved later on.

Bri

I picked up Retro-Action 3 just for the Return of the Saint ep in HD, and to watch a Danger Man ep too.

Not fussed about anything else on the disc, was only £2 after all :)

I picked up Retro-Action 3 just for the Return of the Saint ep in HD, and to watch a Danger Man ep too.

Not fussed about anything else on the disc, was only £2 after all :)

I'm afraid I didn't rate that Saint episode either. They should have brought back Roger Moore. :D I already have that Danger Man on DVD and didn't need it that badly in HD.

Bri

That's the one I grew up with so will always be my favourite :)

A bit like your favourite Dr Who. :laugh: I can't remember if I watched it that much whereas I remember a lot of the Moore ones very well. Have you seen The Zoo Gang episode yet? That's pretty bad too.

Bri

Never seen an episode of that series, I will do though.

Picture quality was poor I thought on Saint, some shots lacked detail and looked out of focus. Sure it will look much better with a proper release.

Never seen an episode of that series, I will do though.

Picture quality was poor I thought on Saint, some shots lacked detail and looked out of focus. Sure it will look much better with a proper release.

Yes it was pretty poor that way. There were a few times on the disc when I was wondering if it was really HD.

Bri

Yeah obviously these were just plain transfers just put straight into disc, they need the TLC that the latest ITC shows have to make them look their best.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I hope you enjoy it Derek. Mind you I should just make do with my DVDs.

Bri

Thanks Brian.

Just out of interest, would you mind posting in the Department S Thread with an update comparing the two formats?

I know I've already made my decision, but I don't think there is any direct comparison between DVD and Blu posted on this site? Or maybe there is and I'm just incompetent at using the Search facility! It might help other people who may be interested.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom