New 4k advice

stanster59

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Been given the green light for an upgrade (Previous set is a 48 inch , 5 year old Samsung) .

budget is up to a grand, viewing distance is 2.5m, watch mainly sport and movies, only the 2 of us so viewing angle not high priority. We ditched the aerial so smart option important for terrestrial channels.
Seen the recommendations for a Sony 55XG9505 in the best value section , and I was leaving towards a sony it wondered what else I could short list .
Thanks.

With your budget and looking at 55" TVs you can afford OLEDs like the LG B9, Philips 7 series, you may even be able to go for the Panasonic GZ950 or Philips 8 series. These will be in a different class of picture quality to the Sony.

If you prefer an LCD TV though, the Sony is the only real option right now, with other LCD TVs being too expensive having just been released.

See: LCD versus OLED

I think 2.5m would be good with a 65”, but check the viewing distance guide: £1k for a 65” isn’t a huge amount, so you may struggle there. There was a fab deal on a Sony XF9006 at 65” a little while back, could be worth to see if there is any stock around. For 55” OLED is possible at £1k, as long as screen burn risk is low (again check the Dodge guides): if it’s an option and you can feed it good quality content (ie HD or UHD), it is very impressive.

At this time of the year, only 2019 models are good value. The 2020 ones are all overpriced, usually until Black Friday.

so If you can wait then some 2020 models will become worth looking at: Dodge will update his guide then and I would recommend going off that.

If not then I would say look through the guides (esp on viewing distance and panel type), and see where your preferences/requirements lead you too and this will help to refine your options. Sport to me says 120hz panel is a must.

I use my Sony TVs built in smart tv stuff: it works but it isn’t great and I know a separate box would perform much better. Just so you are aware TVs tend to have poor built in tuners/series link/etc.

hope that helps.

Yes, 2.5m is very far to view a 4k TV. But with a limited budget and the Sony XF9005 no longer available from usual outlets it leaves you with TVs that are quite a bit more inferior. If you could reach to the 65" XG9505 it would be a good compromise between size and quality.

Thanks, I'll have a look later today, maybe my best option would be to wait for deals.later in the year.
When do these deals start to appear ?

Got a friend who could possibly get me staff discount at JL

Sony Bravia KD65XH8196 would be in budget, any good ?

Quick update, he's trying to find me a LG B9 in store as there is no on line stock atm.

He says he can get me a good deal on the Panasonic TX 58 HX820b but I can't find any reviews on it ? any thoughts ?

Quick update, he's trying to find me a LG B9 in store as there is no on line stock atm.

He says he can get me a good deal on the Panasonic TX 58 HX820b but I can't find any reviews on it ? any thoughts ?

I've just gone for the Philipd 754 OLED for 890, may be worth a look:

Sony models that have H in the name are new 2020 models and aren't good value for money. If you go for a Sony, go for either the 65XG9505, 65XF9005 or buy a TV at a later time.

You won't find 2020 stock that is good value for money, and with a limited budget you are going to have to take a serious hit in picture quality by buying a 65" TV compared to a 55" one if you are choosing from only 2020 stock.

Thanks, Ill play the waiting game and hope prices drop in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom