New Amp but what!

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive just bought some Elac Debut B5.2 for my office and im looking for an amp to go with them.
I dont want to spend an absolute fortune as i have a good set up in the living room but want something i can enjoy in the office. So can i get some suggestions

Budget?

Features requirements?

Source?

Assuming you have a budget of £60 spave for a 430mm.wide unit and don't need a remote and use a cd player or radio tuner with line out as the source. i would look at a Cambridge Audio A1 mark 3.

Budget up to £400

Just needs to power the speakers and sound decent

A remote would be nice, just needs to have a couple of RCA inputs to allow two pcs and a laptop to be able to connect.

I'd point you in the direction of the NAD D3020 v2.0. Compact, well specified and typically involving NAD sound. A good combination of analogue and digital connectivity too.

There is a Marantz pm8005 in the classifieds just over your budget, its probably more than good enough on those elacs.

For new, a Rega IO may fit the bill. It's compact and a no frills quality amp.

Ive thought about the NAD 3020, Marantz pm6006 as well as the Rega IO

Other amp's I have thought about are the brio, but not sure if there was much else

Pioneer A40 AE

IMG_20201019_202128.jpg

By all accounts the IO is a bit special.

But there’s no need to spend that much for the

Here’s a couple of used amps I’d recommend,

And if you’d prefer new then one of these would be a good choice.

As a purely stereo amp the Rotel would get my vote.

But the 670 has a usb input which is likely to better any analogue computer connection.

The 402 also has digital inputs if any of your computers has an optical output.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I don't recommend the CA Azur 350 if it's anything like the newer Azur 351..Its not very refined and not quite as good as the Azur 540/640 v1 or v2.

The IO is £380 it's pretty much on par with everything above apart from the used ones

+1 for the Io. Stunning little amp and no bigger than a piece of A4 paper. 30 wpc will suit all but the largest speakers. It’s only got one downside: it will make you buy a Brio...... 😉

Just to add to @Paul7777x second hand recommendations, here’s another couple -

Musical Fidelity XA2 - good desk top size as well.

Here’s one on auction.

or the a100r with remote for a bit more

Arcam a19 - there are others cheaper on auction so worth keeping an eye out for them.

or the a29 for a bit more But this looks a really good buy.

Last edited:
+1 for the Io. Stunning little amp and no bigger than a piece of A4 paper. 30 wpc will suit all but the largest speakers. It’s only got one downside: it will make you buy a Brio...... 😉
I've got an elicit r in the living room. So I'm only after something good enough for the elacs... For now

Just to add to @Paul7777x second hand recommendations, here’s another couple -

Musical Fidelity XA2 - good desk top size as well.

Here’s one on auction.

or the a100r with remote for a bit more

Arcam a19 - there are others cheaper on auction so worth keeping an eye out for them.

or the a29 for a bit more But this looks a really good buy.

I'm not averse to anything second hand, had a look at a Roksan Kandy as well.

I actually bought a Rega IO in the end

Out of the pc straight into it! its awful. But I think that's because the DAC is needed (Oppo headphone dac ha2). It has some oomph to it.

I mean my speakers are ok they could be better

Out of the pc straight into it! its awful. But I think that's because the DAC is needed (Oppo headphone dac ha2). It has some oomph to it.

I mean my speakers are ok they could be better

I’m not surprised it sounds poor out of the pc. A whopping source of noise and hash on top of, at very best, an indifferent sound card.

These are quite superb if you have the cash.

And these are an exceptional bargain.

The headphone dac is making a good difference to be fair.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom