New Arcam AVR's

If it's any help, i always used to factory reset before doing the update too and although i know that things may be different on the HDA Series, i never had a problem with any updates on my FMJ Series.

If it's any help, i always used to factory reset before doing the update too and although i know that things may be different on the HDA Series, i never had a problem with any updates on my FMJ Series.

Yep always reset it before any updates!

Hi everyone I comment on my progress with the arcam, at the moment it works even well even upmix, except for two problems, one with dolby atmos and another that I discovered yesterday and that is that I tried to change the name of a source input from the av and it crashed 3 times It is not something excessively worrisome either since from the pc it does not give problems but also so that you know it and try to clear up doubts. The sound is good did not detect any distortion problems, upmix does a very good job leaving. A very worked bass although it leaves it low but once the sub is raised the bass is very good. I think we are the beta testers for arcam and while it shouldn't be, they will get it to be what they promised when it came out. I think they are on a good path to leaving the car where it should be but it is also based on the problems we reported to them. I hope you follow the. Evolution that so far is having. The other day I saw the overlord movie and I enjoyed it very much and I hope to continue enjoying Greetings from Spain and take care of you

Hi everyone I comment on my progress with the arcam, at the moment it works even well even upmix, except for two problems, one with dolby atmos and another that I discovered yesterday and that is that I tried to change the name of a source input from the av and it crashed 3 times It is not something excessively worrisome either since from the pc it does not give problems but also so that you know it and try to clear up doubts. The sound is good did not detect any distortion problems, upmix does a very good job leaving. A very worked bass although it leaves it low but once the sub is raised the bass is very good. I think we are the beta testers for arcam and while it shouldn't be, they will get it to be what they promised when it came out. I think they are on a good path to leaving the car where it should be but it is also based on the problems we reported to them. I hope you follow the. Evolution that so far is having. The other day I saw the overlord movie and I enjoyed it very much and I hope to continue enjoying Greetings from Spain and take care of you

Greetings from London, @piluja,

I hope you are well. I am glad to hear you are enjoying your Arcam now. I also hope positively for things to be resolved to a satisfactory state.

Take care of yourself, too and have a good day,

fallinlight

somewhere on the net i did see a mention of there being a fix for speakers clicking as an hda was turned off. i think it was changing 16 smd's (not easy) that might explain why the first av40 i tested clicked and the 2nd av40 does not. the 2nd was a later build, but without sight of the service info cannot tell for sure what is going on.

Thats right, it effects the pop on start/off and mute/unmute. That fix only applies to the XLR outputs so is not relevant to the receivers.

Thats right, it effects the pop on start/off and mute/unmute. That fix only applies to the XLR outputs so is not relevant to the receivers.

thanks thats the set up here (xlr), i was thinking i had imagend reading that !!, still it proves the point that there has been at least 1 h/w revision. since the 2nd av40 i have here does not pop

I purchased my UMIK microphones from @albriscoe - hope you are well, Allan. Will most likely be buying that second X7900 lamp before Christmas!!

i’m very well thank you 👍

please don’t leave it too late to order a lamp as they are really scarce atm

Allan

thanks thats the set up here (xlr), i was thinking i had imagend reading that !!, still it proves the point that there has been at least 1 h/w revision. since the 2nd av40 i have here does not pop

Reassuring to know as I wait for my later manufactured replacement (hardware is fixed, Arcam told my dealer) arriving tomorrow.

When I finish doing a few things I will put you some photos of my living room, what do you think?

My replacement AVR30 has the same Dirac distortion. I'm sending it back and will ask for a refund. I'm sick and fed up with it all now.

It said 1.34 FW on the front label. Was expecting 1.36 as I know some folks on here had replacements with 1.36. 1.34 is also installed. I wonder if this is not the correct unit from the new batch my dealer promised me.

Ed's last message from yesterday reads,

"Hi...

Regarding your dealer's ability to recreate the setup, at the very least they will have your unit, your settings, and be able to attach some speakers to it. If the fault is within the AVR itself at a hardware level, as I still suspect it is, then the faults will reproduce. I have only heard dirac make that sort of test tone twice -- once on a pre production unit that was broken, once on a beta that had something seriously wrong.

It has not occurred since, nor been reported to us on a main release software.

Your dealer needs to observe the faults and take appropriate action, as your unit is not behaving in a way that we have observed, or can reproduce. Therefore, holding onto something that you yourself say is causing stress and actual physical damage to your health on the hope that software can fix it is perhaps not the wisest thing to do.

If it is hardware, then no software can fix it. If it is software and there is something so unique in your set up that it only affects your unit (we in UK support get 2/3 of the world's cases) then we would happily swap it out to investigate what is actually happening, and why.

But again, it needs to go via your dealer.

Kind regards

Ed".

I am baffled as to why he only now told me that there were two previous instances of Dirac distortion, both due to hardware faults. It would have helped a lot to know this earlier at the time I raised the issue with him.

Ah well, I tried my very best. Will be doing without an AVR for some time I think but am putting a wanted ad for a Yamaha A3070 up now, this is my previous beloved AVR, and it just works. So very gutted that I sold it and lost it. That alone upsets me. That said, I had loved the sound of my Arcam AVR30 - as I always say, it is my dream amp sound wise, and having a 9.1.2 setup was amazing, I had always wanted to have front wides. However, at the same time it has been the worst product I have ever owned and used in my life. I am deeply gutted, but this experience and purchase has not been fair on me at all: I have spent a great deal of money on a product that is broken, and I have spent countless hours, days, weeks, months, bug testing and reporting, not sleeping, feeling anxious, having my ears damaged, and not being able to use my product properly. This was in all the worst time to date in my home cinema hobby. I am deeply gutted, let down and upset, but it is time to cut my losses and move on now.

Last edited:
My replacement AVR30 has the same Dirac distortion. I'm sending it back and will ask for a refund. I'm sick and fed up with it all now.

It said 1.34 FW on the front label. Was expecting 1.36 as I know some folks on here had replacements with 1.36. 1.34 is also installed. I wonder if this is not the correct unit from the new batch my dealer promised me.

"Hi...

Regarding your dealer's ability to recreate the setup, at the very least they will have your unit, your settings, and be able to attach some speakers to it. If the fault is within the AVR itself at a hardware level, as I still suspect it is, then the faults will reproduce. I have only heard dirac make that sort of test tone twice -- once on a pre production unit that was broken, once on a beta that had something seriously wrong.

Your dealer needs to observe the faults and take appropriate action, as your unit is not behaving in a way that we have observed, or can reproduce. Therefore, holding onto something that you yourself say is causing stress and actual physical damage to your health on the hope that software can fix it is perhaps not the wisest thing to do.

If it is hardware, then no software can fix it. If it is software and there is something so unique in your set up that it only affects your unit (we in UK support get 2/3 of the world's cases) then we would happily swap it out to investigate what is actually happening, and why.

Kind regards

Ed".

I am baffled as to why he only now told me that there were two previous instances of Dirac distortion, both due to hardware faults. It would have helped a lot to know this earlier at the time I raised the issue with him.

Ah well, I tried my very best. Will be doing without an AVR for some time I think but am putting a wanted ad for a Yamaha A3070 up now, this is my previous beloved AVR, and it just works. So very gutted that I sold it and lost it. That alone upsets me. That said, I had loved the sound of my Arcam AVR30 - as I always say, it is my dream amp sound wise, and having a 9.1.2 setup was amazing, I had always wanted to have front wides. However, at the same time it has been the worst product I have ever owned and used in my life. I am deeply gutted, but this experience and purchase has not been fair on me at all: I have spent a great deal of money on a product that is broken, and I have spent countless hours, days, weeks, months, bug testing and reporting, not sleeping, feeling anxious, having my ears damaged, and not being able to use my product properly. This was in all the worst time to date in my home cinema hobby. I am deeply gutted, let down and upset, but it is time to cut my losses and move on now.
Thank God!

"Hi...

Kind regards

Ed".

Sorry it's not working out with the Arcam mate, but then again no doubt that u have made the wisest decision by returning it and asking for a refund, honestly life is just too short for this needless stress and with what's going on in the world now we have a load of stress to deal with in our daily life.

"Hi...

Kind regards

Ed".

That's really sad to hear.
It's particularly annoying that you have to send back via dealer - they said because of insurance,
and would not accept any other option. I was right to be concerned as it sat with the dealer for 1.5 months on the way out and 1 month on the way back (and they didn't read the notes I wrote to reproduce the problem or test the power amp in any way). Dealer will not (did not) do any testing - they just forward back to arcam.

Annoyingly Ed prepared a special tested amp for me and notified the dealer twice by phone (and I updated them the same separately)- they ignored and just sent the next one that came in stock.
They weren't being malicious, just a series of unfortunate coincidences - annoying though.

Hope whatever happens next is easier/simpler and just works for you!

I think your dealer also do anthem and there are new models out soon for them...

That's really sad to hear.
It's particularly annoying that you have to send back via dealer - they said because of insurance,
and would not accept any other option. I was right to be concerned as it sat with the dealer for 1.5 months on the way out and 1 month on the way back (and they didn't read the notes I wrote to reproduce the problem or test the power amp in any way). Dealer will not (did not) do any testing - they just forward back to arcam.

Annoyingly Ed prepared a special tested amp for me and notified the dealer twice by phone (and I updated them the same separately)- they ignored and just sent the next one that came in stock.
They weren't being malicious, just a series of unfortunate coincidences - annoying though.

Hope whatever happens next is easier/simpler and just works for you!

I think your dealer also do anthem and there are new models out soon for them...

Thanks man, I appreciate your kind words and advice. Yeah, I half think this is not the unit that should have been sent out to me. Will ask my dealer to make sure. Will keep my eyes open on the market.

:thumbsup:

@fallinlight I admire your persistence with it all. Hope you find something that works out for you soon!

Did you purchase the P429 from the same dealer, and can it be returned?

Last edited:
Oh my word, giving it one final think and effort, I think I might have fixed the distortion issue - TRIMS on PA, in conjunction with lowering the slider(s) in Dirac for safe measure. I forwent the general advice detailed in the P429 manual, which states,

"Level trim These trims allow each channel output level to be adjusted in order to compensate for differences in speaker output levels due to their position within the listening environment. In normal use, these trims should all be set to the fully clockwise position".

I turned the ones down for speakers all the way anti-clockwise that were distorting and it did not distort. I turned down gradually till no distortion, so far so good. And set in Dirac -2 dB less than other speakers for safe measure. For the heights it makes sense, these are very sensitive and louder than all my other speakers. Not sure why my right wide sometimes distorts, then (it hasn't been today).

UPDATE: Distortion came back, so either I needed it even lower, or that was not in fact the solution. I then also noticed my PA PSU was loose, made it snug. Then I started to realise the white noise test tone in Dirac was fluctuating and breaking up from my right top height. Adjusting the trim back and forth did not help. Then I realised the speaker wires in my P429 for this speaker were not snug, re-seated them and tightened and tone played smooth again. On a whim, thinking that it might just be loose speaker wire(s), I put all trims back up. No distortion. Right Wide (the other speaker that used to distort a lot) test tone was smooth and speaker wires snug in posts. So, perhaps it was just loose speaker wires all along.

Odd thing now, is that my heights seem to be a few dB less hot, which makes sense because their speaker wires were not seated properly. This means I can turn their sliders down a bit and makes me feel a bit safer that right top height won't distort. Maybe adjusting the trims around and back to clock-wise (default) helped, too.

If anyone ever has the same problem I hope they might find this post.

No distortion upon power cycling and measuring in Dirac 3 times in a row, which is very positive. I will monitor throughout the weekend.

Now, do I try 1.40 or update straight to 1.36, which I know works for me for the most part? I would try 1.40 again but posts about Linux and leaving traces of bugs/ data behind makes me hesitant.

UPDATE: updated to 1.36 to be safe. Still no distortion.

Last edited:
Really glad to hear it seems like you've finally got it sorted!

Those two times were with preproduction hardware, and beta software, so neither were representative of what should be retail systems. If you don't already write software for a living, you probably don't want to know how that sausage is made :)

AV40 - faulty UHD hdmi input socket. (2 units).

Any new AV40 owners, since August, experiencing issues with the UHD hdmi input socket?
I've had two now, first failed after two hours use where the audio kept dropping out and re-acquiring again every few seconds. Confirmed this by using the Blu-Ray socket, which worked perfectly.
Recently got a replacement and connection is very iffy, sometimes it recognises the signal from the player, works, and shows Dolby Surround on the display.
Other times it fails to recognises the player signal, no sound from the speakers and shows Digital Stereo on the display.
So wondering if any other recent owners are experiencing the same issue, possibly a faulty batch?
Pretty sure both my processors were delivered in the same batch.

Really glad to hear it seems like you've finally got it sorted!

Same, thanks man! I just ran another sweep and still no distortion. Home cinema 101: make sure speaker wires are all firmly in - if that was indeed the issue. But whatever I did, that and adjusting trims, seems to have fixed the issue. I guess if I want to double back to make sure, I could loosen the speaker wires again.

Other notes:

- My new remote has a slightly more textured finish which I don't like as much/ the previous units remote was more akin to the smooth satin of my JVC X7900 remote.
- New remote is much more responsive! No delay when cycling filters for example, excellent.
- Remote battery cover is loose and rattles when handling it/ previous one was a firm fit. Annoying.
- The power off click on this unit is sharper or perhaps a tad louder.
- The new owner letter from Arcam, customary to their AVRs, was inside the box, but not in my first units box.

Just wondering if I was sent the correct unit as I know some on here had their replacements with 1.36 installed (assuming it says 1.36 on their boxes too) which I thought might be from the latest batch.

Film time tonight!

Last edited:

Any new AV40 owners, since August, experiencing issues with the UHD hdmi input socket?
I've had two now, first failed after two hours use where the audio kept dropping out and re-acquiring again every few seconds. Confirmed this by using the Blu-Ray socket, which worked perfectly.
Recently got a replacement and connection is very iffy, sometimes it recognises the signal from the player, works, and shows Dolby Surround on the display.
Other times it fails to recognises the player signal, no sound from the speakers and shows Digital Stereo on the display.
So wondering if any other recent owners are experiencing the same issue, possibly a faulty batch?
What's your chain, and which HDMI length are you using? I noticed Arcam have poor output compared to my previous equipment.

Panasonic UB9000, using both hdmi outputs, video goes directly to my projector.
Audio hdmi is 1.25 metres long.
Again, as in my first unit, the AV40 Blu-Ray hdmi input socket seems to be working perfectly.
Issue seems to be linked to the UHD socket.

I find with the Arcam units that my fibre HDMI works perfectly from a Vertex2, but plugged directly into the UHD output of an AVR20 I would get frequent sync issues.

I use a fiber hdmi cable from player to projector, no issues with the picture.
All the UHD socket has to do is handle the audio ..... and it's not.
1st unit audio dropouts, 2nd unit sometimes recognises the signal and outputs audio, other times it doesn't.
I've only had the 2nd unit a couple of days so far but that's my findings.

Got mine in August. Not had that problem but mostly using Plex on TV or shield (or net for audio)...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom