New Arcam AVR's

fallinlight

Really glad to hear it seems like you've finally got it sorted!
Same, thanks man! I just ran another sweep and still no distortion. Home cinema 101: make sure speaker wires are all firmly in - if that was indeed the issue. But whatever I did, that and adjusting trims, seems to have fixed the issue. I guess if I want to double back to make sure, I could loosen the speaker wires again.

Other notes:

- My new remote has a slightly more textured finish which I don't like as much/ the previous units remote was more akin to the smooth satin of my JVC X7900 remote.
- New remote is much more responsive! No delay when cycling filters for example, excellent.
- Remote battery cover is loose and rattles when handling it/ previous one was a firm fit. Annoying.
- The power off click on this unit is sharper or perhaps a tad louder.
- The new owner letter from Arcam, customary to their AVRs, was inside the box, but not in my first units box.

Just wondering if I was sent the correct unit as I know some on here had their replacements with 1.36 installed (assuming it says 1.36 on their boxes too) which I thought might be from the latest batch.

Film time tonight!

Last edited:

CaroleBaskin

AV40 - faulty UHD hdmi input socket. (2 units).

Any new AV40 owners, since August, experiencing issues with the UHD hdmi input socket?
I've had two now, first failed after two hours use where the audio kept dropping out and re-acquiring again every few seconds. Confirmed this by using the Blu-Ray socket, which worked perfectly.
Recently got a replacement and connection is very iffy, sometimes it recognises the signal from the player, works, and shows Dolby Surround on the display.
Other times it fails to recognises the player signal, no sound from the speakers and shows Digital Stereo on the display.
So wondering if any other recent owners are experiencing the same issue, possibly a faulty batch?
Pretty sure both my processors were delivered in the same batch.
What's your chain, and which HDMI length are you using? I noticed Arcam have poor output compared to my previous equipment.

chordguy

Panasonic UB9000, using both hdmi outputs, video goes directly to my projector.
Audio hdmi is 1.25 metres long.
Again, as in my first unit, the AV40 Blu-Ray hdmi input socket seems to be working perfectly.
Issue seems to be linked to the UHD socket.

CaroleBaskin

I find with the Arcam units that my fibre HDMI works perfectly from a Vertex2, but plugged directly into the UHD output of an AVR20 I would get frequent sync issues.

chordguy

I use a fiber hdmi cable from player to projector, no issues with the picture.
All the UHD socket has to do is handle the audio ..... and it's not.
1st unit audio dropouts, 2nd unit sometimes recognises the signal and outputs audio, other times it doesn't.
I've only had the 2nd unit a couple of days so far but that's my findings.

danielpugh

AV40 - faulty UHD hdmi input socket. (2 units).

Any new AV40 owners, since August, experiencing issues with the UHD hdmi input socket?
I've had two now, first failed after two hours use where the audio kept dropping out and re-acquiring again every few seconds. Confirmed this by using the Blu-Ray socket, which worked perfectly.
Recently got a replacement and connection is very iffy, sometimes it recognises the signal from the player, works, and shows Dolby Surround on the display.
Other times it fails to recognises the player signal, no sound from the speakers and shows Digital Stereo on the display.
So wondering if any other recent owners are experiencing the same issue, possibly a faulty batch?
Pretty sure both my processors were delivered in the same batch.
Got mine in August. Not had that problem but mostly using Plex on TV or shield (or net for audio)...

fallinlight

Damn it. I thought I was all clear. Got rid of one bug, another rears its head:

Atmos track distortion is still here. Intermittent distortion, mainly from heights.

UPDATE: tried factory reset. Did not help. Tried 1.40, same as with previous unit. Re-installed 1.36, distortion gone now, for now. Did get loud screeching noise on first load up of 2049, but all good since. So FWs seems to be behaving exactly the same as my last unit. Will run more sweeps later/ tomorrow to see if Dirac distortion is still absent.

Last edited:

AdamAttewell

Anybody know if you can use SUB 1 & SUB 2 outputs when using channels 13 to 16 for front & rear subs?

I believe I read that SUB 1 & SUB 2 are mirrored via software but does anyone know if EQ is applied to these outputs?

I did not have the subwoofer option set to present when I did my Dirac calibration so not sure if I will just be able to enable the option or if this will stop me being able to activate room EQ due to a change in speaker config.

I have some tactile transducers & would love to be able to use SUB 1 & SUB 2 for them & if they do not have EQ applied they would save me a job.

danielpugh

Anybody know if you can use SUB 1 & SUB 2 outputs when using channels 13 to 16 for front & rear subs?

I believe I read that SUB 1 & SUB 2 are mirrored via software but does anyone know if EQ is applied to these outputs?

I did not have the subwoofer option set to present when I did my Dirac calibration so not sure if I will just be able to enable the option or if this will stop me being able to activate room EQ due to a change in speaker config.

I have some tactile transducers & would love to be able to use SUB 1 & SUB 2 for them & if they do not have EQ applied they would save me a job.
Sub1 &2 are mirrored (seen as one by Dirac) with single filter applied. Not sure beyond that, but try and see...

fallinlight

Dear all,

Dirac distortion came back this morning, also from left surround speaker this time (AVR30 pre-amp) - I forgot that I had distortion from left surround a few times a couple months back. Tried everything again but no help. I've boxed the machine back up for collection and a refund.

I wish everyone on here happy enjoyment of their Arcam's and for those still encumbered, I hope the necessary fixes will come as soon as possible for you.

Thank you all for your support and kind advice.

Best wishes,

fallinlight

pierrebxl

Dear,

Any of you tried DTS-X already?
It's available now from my Xbox (you need to be insider and have Alpha Skip ahead installed). Has to be activated with the DTS app, and enable DTS for Home Teather. Same process as with Atmos, basically.

When activated, the Xbox show DTS:X Master (192Khz). It works perfectly, but with Dirac Bass Control, I have white noise only.

I didn't try DTSX before 1.40, so no idea if it's an old bug.

piluja

hola te adjunto las fotos de mi habitación, espero que te gusten, admito tips y mejoras
el equipo está formado por:
-av arcam avr20
-Amplificador de potencia emocional xpa gen 3.5
- Amplificador de potencia emotivo bas x 500 de 5 canales
-proyector epson eh tw 9400
- reproductor panasonic ub 424
-reproductor sony x800
-zidoo x10 jugador
- reproductor clon oppo 203
- Altavoces SVS prime tower, prime center y prime satélite
-2 subwoofer de borde xtz 17.12
-4 dynaudio magic fx4 v.3

Attachments

fallinlight

hola te adjunto las fotos de mi habitación, espero que te gusten, admito tips y mejoras
-av arcam avr20
-reproductor sony x800
-zidoo x10 jugador
I can't swear, but, beautiful. Any way you can clear your frontstage from your gear and rack?

goatlips

-av arcam avr20
-reproductor sony x800
-zidoo x10 jugador
Jealous❤

I would so love my own sound and cinema room!👍

piluja

Realmente no entiendo lo que quieres decir, pero quiero instalar un estante y hacer algunos cambios como insonorizar, cambiar sillas y colocar los parlantes detrás de la pantalla, pero eso llevará tiempo, ya que requiere trabajo y mucho dinero. así que hasta que lo guarde llegaré un poco tarde

DodgeTheViper

Realmente no entiendo lo que quieres decir, pero quiero instalar un estante y hacer algunos cambios como insonorizar, cambiar sillas y colocar los parlantes detrás de la pantalla, pero eso llevará tiempo, ya que requiere trabajo y mucho dinero. así que hasta que lo guarde llegaré un poco tarde
Can you post in English please.

Thanks

piluja

@piluja I see the M9702. What's the model below it? Reproduction Sony x800?
Sorry I did not explain well, the Sony I have removed and saved for emergencies, the bluray player that I have now is the Panasonic ub 424. The one below the M9702 is the zidoo x10 that is already 2 or 3 years old but it works very well although I hope to change both the bluray and the zidoo shortly for a zidoo z1000 pro and a Panasonic 9000

goatlips

Anyone getting audio dropout on NET via tidal? Cycle through the DSP mode and audio returns...🙄

Anthony-Howard

Unfortunately I fear the worst. I am looking at some Crowson Actuators and have been eyeing up the sub 2 output but I fear that it is just going to be a split at the very final stage of the output and therefore include EQ. If I go ahead I will update with my findings though. What transducers do you have just out of interest?

AdamAttewell

Unfortunately I fear the worst. I am looking at some Crowson Actuators and have been eyeing up the sub 2 output but I fear that it is just going to be a split at the very final stage of the output and therefore include EQ. If I go ahead I will update with my findings though. What transducers do you have just out of interest?
I am using custom built BOSS platforms for my front & rear row.

After thinking it through I cannot use the SUB1 or SUB 2 out in my setup as I also apply BEQ to my BOSS platforms so the outputted signal from the AVR needs to go via a 2x4 HD before getting to the amps.

I am already using two 2x4 HD's to apply BEQ to the channels 13 to 16 for my subs so I have no more inputs on my 2x4's available.

Short of buying another 2X4 HD I am going to need to work with one of the channels 13 to 16 outputs to supply my BOSS platforms.

Starts getting tricky as I need to apply delay to the subs as the BOSS platforms lag behind the subs as that is the nature of TR devices.

Anthony-Howard

I am using custom built BOSS platforms for my front & rear row.

After thinking it through I cannot use the SUB1 or SUB 2 out in my setup as I also apply BEQ to my BOSS platforms so the outputted signal from the AVR needs to go via a 2x4 HD before getting to the amps.

I am already using two 2x4 HD's to apply BEQ to the channels 13 to 16 for my subs so I have no more inputs on my 2x4's available.

Short of buying another 2X4 HD I am going to need to work with one of the channels 13 to 16 outputs to supply my BOSS platforms.

Starts getting tricky as I need to apply delay to the subs as the BOSS platforms lag behind the subs as that is the nature of TR devices.
Interesting about the delay. I was planning on using DSP amps such as the minidsp ICE so that I could take an unequalised output and apply a 20hz or so LPF with a steep 24dB. Never really thought about the delay so I may have to rethink my solution.

Either way I will have to find a way to test what is coming out of the Sub2 on the AV40.

marcos1975

Unfortunately I fear the worst. I am looking at some Crowson Actuators and have been eyeing up the sub 2 output but I fear that it is just going to be a split at the very final stage of the output and therefore include EQ.
Unfortunately this is exactly what's u gonna find out, as Sub.2 out are just mirrored from SUB.1, and anything that applied to Sub.1 will be also applied to Sub.2 at the final stage.

fallinlight

I just wanted to update you all, my 30 will be collected on Weds for a full refund. Some DPD hiccups withstanding, and not being directly their fault, my dealer has been nothing but helpful, empathetic and supportive - a top service from Hi Fi Corner, whom I can highly recommend. I feel bad for them having to go through this at their end, it can't be good for their business. And as I know they have had other(s) returned HDA units. Seems Arcam messed up with the replacement unit, since it was not the latest - as far as my dealer and I are aware, with FW 1.34. And of course, they had promised a bug free unit, hardware at least I had hoped, but again of course, that was not the case. An on the DPD side, there was a failed collection attempt(s) their end with their products and for some reason DPD took the replacement unit out of the outer box my dealer ensured was their for safety and took the return labels out, too!

I now have a good deal on a Yamaha A3070 which I intend to purchase later this week, so that is positive, and honestly, I can't wait to return to the Yamaha, it will now be my third return to the A3070! It was a toss up between the A3070 and trying an 850, but I found out that the latest FW bugs are not fit for me and my usage. And despite the older FW 4.xx being stable, £1,300 on top of the A3070 deal I currently have, is not attractive to me for something without transferable warranty and given the flaky nature of the hardware/ FW, regardless of if FW 4.xx is stable at the moment. Because after my experience with the AVR30, it has left me with a really sour taste and experience. And I would be approaching anything Arcam in future with extreme caution. Sad to say, buy true. At least the Yamaha is rock solid and just works and I know I love the sound, so hassle free.

Happy days ahead, whilst I can hopefully enjoy my home cinema again very soon, safely and happily, and I will keep my eye on the market at the same time. Also this time around, I should have some spare power on tap from the A3070, as I intend to use my P429 for my rears and front height channels. I had only ever used all 9 internal channels, and whilst it did sound excellent, adding rears and then especially rears + heights, I did notice a slight drop in sound quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lithe Audio AirPlay 2 ceiling speakers world's first
  • By Andy Bassett