Quantcast

New Arcam AVR's

josephvman

Standard Member
The salesman didn't indicate this, but I didn't ask either. I can't imagine that would be the case, but I'm going to check the Arcam website and see if there's any information there.

ti33er

I’d hope the OSD when changing Volume during a movie would be a bit more subtle than this horrible Luminescent blue and white box they currently have (like OPPO, slight translucent grey that is not so garish) - I know you can disable this OSD entirely so nothing comes on your screen, but it’s not always helpful to understand if the volume has been altered or not without some sort of OSD.

dmk1198

Seems to me they are just using the Arcam name now to push more product.
Silly question, we not related to Cambridge audio are we? I assume we came from AR Cambridge of old, I had that wooden amp and my old man had AR17 speakers,great they were
Still loving my 390, handles everything I throw at it really well,very happy
I bet richer sounds don't help set up Dirac do they? I think for layman that might be to much

dmk1198

Looking at the spec ,new DAC
WiFi, Bluetooth,eArc Google cast
Can't see much else, pretty much just a rebadge? Has it got properseparate sub outs this time? Proper missed opportunity not getting hdmi latest spec (2.1?) What else should they have done? Guess it shows how good harmen thought the originals were...
Will they offer trade in deal as incentive to upgrade I wonder?

dmk1198

I had to laugh at this review of 550
"The included microphone makes Dirac setup easy to do. Just put the microphone at the desired listening position and tell the receiver to calibrate itself from the menu. Done."
Surely not possible? Thought there was like 20 positions to make it worthwhile?

JoeSepi

Can't see much else, pretty much just a rebadge? Has it got properseparate sub outs this time? Proper missed opportunity not getting hdmi latest spec (2.1?) What else should they have done? Guess it shows how good harmen thought the originals were...
No not a rebadge, new chipset, the worst bit of the old Arcam range is new.

Thatsnotmynaim

As far as AVR390 to AVR10 goes I wouldn’t be rushing, but go up to AVR20 or above and you get 16 channels of processing....

Damp Squid

Standard Member
Last edited:

Thatsnotmynaim

Looks good, although more a hands on preview of a prototype, nice seeing it playing Qobuz, OLED display also looks good, but as ever will be interesting to see if the display can be seen from the seating position for me... Also didn’t see any osd menus...

Delija

OLED display = one more thing that could (and will) break :)

They could have learned from Naim...

Rambles

Distinguished Member
OLED display = one more thing that could (and will) break :)

They could have learned from Naim...
Anything can break, if we all had that attitude we would still be using a gramaphone and washing our clothes in the river!

Delija

With Naim, It's not the question whether it will break- it's just the question WHEN it will break ;)

BTW, the display costs just a few dollars in China, but repair by Naim costs a couple of hundreds of dollars. They've added some logic to show mirrored picture on display, so easy DIY swap is not possible.

I hope Arcam uses higher quality OLED displays.

Last edited:

ti33er

Lol they could just stuff in an iPhone screen ...I’ve never had one fail; until I dropped one of mine on the tarmac <cheeky>

Apollo

I think it is a back lit TFT, not an OLED.
Certainly the grey looking black doesn’t shout OLED to me :)

AdamAttewell

OLED is prone to burn in which makes it a poor choice for this application in my opinion due to the static nature of the content displayed. I highly doubt Arcam have implemented some sort of pixel shifting to minimize burn in.

It's not a matter of if but when burn in occurs if they are using OLED screens which would surprise me as on the FMJ AVR's they scrimped & saved on anything they could that was not vital to sound quality.

Apollo

dmk1198

So auro coming but not on av10
Weird...

All new Arcam AV receivers support Dolby Atmos, DTS: X, DTS Virtual: X and IMAX Enhanced. Later come for AVR20 and AVR30 update via Auro-3D in addition to the ingenious audio-Upmixer Auro-Matic with, only for the AVR10 not.

Dunners

IMAX Enhanced has 4 movies you can buy... I'm surprised more AVR companies aren't putting money into licensing it so that people can watch Angry Birds 2 with iMax Enhanced audio / video...

AdamAttewell

Spoke to my dealer today & he has just had two AVR 30's delivered, he says they are functional but Dirac is totally missing.

Apparently it is not ready yet & will be available in three weeks when Arcam will release a firmware update.

Diagnosticz

Spoke to my dealer today & he has just had two AVR 30's delivered, he says they are functional but Dirac is totally missing.

Apparently it is not ready yet & will be available in three weeks when Arcam will release a firmware update.
I have been offered an AVR10 from a dealers first batch that got delivered this week that I am considering. So surely they have a fully working Dirac

Thatsnotmynaim

No not yet, but from the paper based specs it doesn’t look much of an upgrade. The old ones can be picked up at good prices but the new ones will be much higher.. Will be pleasantly pleased to hear different if you've had a demo or plan too soon.

Diagnosticz

No not yet, but from the paper based specs it doesn’t look much of an upgrade. The old ones can be picked up at good prices but the new ones will be much higher.. Will be pleasantly pleased to hear different if you've had a demo or plan too soon.
On paper and actually hearing it is too different things.

I have not heard the 550-850 so I can not compare. I can compare it to a Marantz 8012 & Anthem 720. Once I get one in for demo next week

dave1956a

I personally don’t see much point of the AVR10 over the old models....

If the new models have true 2 sub support, less bugs than the FMJ's, extra surround/height outputs, more than one Dirac mem slot, and support for the Dirac BM add-on then some will see the point of the new models. but if none of those are of interest to the user. save cash buy an FMJ and get a bargain

Last edited: