New Arcam AVR's

I like the look of them, personally, but I'd want to see what the display looked like powered on. It would be a real shame if the AVR30 didn't have the ESS DACs, and a very strange move not to include HDMI 2.1. I'll watch with interest, for now. My AVR850 still sounds great.

You can see some internal shots of the new AVR30 here at a german site Arcam AVRs
Interesting thing is that the HDMI board is mounted upside down and I think the board does not
include any sound processing (you can see three chip on it, maybe only video chips and a second larger board just below). Maybe this will be replaceable.

So seems to be a couple of obvious omissions, no HDMI or USB ports on the front panel and no mention of more than one slot for Dirac.
Do we know if they will have assignable crossovers for the base layer and a more flexible channel assignment?

Do people think Arcam can be trusted to implement Dirac correctly this time? I like the look of the processor but past experience with Arcam worries me and also the fact that they have not corrected the latest firmware on the current range is a concern.

The current implementation of Dirac is fine. As for bugs, there will never be anything that is bug free software wise. They do seem ultra slow at fixing bugs right now though. That will have to improve if they want to keep their brand reputation.

Any news on if the sub outs will be independent and not an internal splitter ?

I've not heard anything about sub outs yet. I guess we will know soon exactly what features will be included as I'm sure there will be a more detailed press release in the near future as they begin their marketing campaign.

Personally, I'll wait until then and to see if they fix the bugs on the current firmware release. Until then, I'll keep my 850. If they don't fix the bugs and hang their customers out to dry, it won't matter what they include in the new models as my money will go elsewhere. That applies to Dirac too if none of the bass management modules are made available for the current run of AVRs and Processors.

Any news on if the sub outs will be independent and not an internal splitter ?

I think it will be a simple case of 16 channel processing, so 9.1.6 or 7.3.6, so multi sub. So the RCA labelled Sub 2 on the back of the units could simply still be a splitter for Sub one. You'll have the ability to use channels 15 and 16 for subs too though, maybe 13/14 too - 7.5.4 anyone!

I've not heard anything about sub outs yet. I guess we will know soon exactly what features will be included as I'm sure there will be a more detailed press release in the near future as they begin their marketing campaign.

Personally, I'll wait until then and to see if they fix the bugs on the current firmware release. Until then, I'll keep my 850. If they don't fix the bugs and hang their customers out to dry, it won't matter what they include in the new models as my money will go elsewhere. That applies to Dirac too if none of the bass management modules are made available for the current run of AVRs and Processors.

Do we know that the current AVRs are actually capable of implementing the bass management module? That bit isn't a huge deal for me, as I'm only running one sub, but if, as we've been told, the current models just use a splitter, doesn't that mean it's impossible? Also, is there any additional processing within the AVR required, and does it have sufficient "headroom" to manage it?

Do we know that the current AVRs are actually capable of implementing the bass management module? That bit isn't a huge deal for me, as I'm only running one sub, but if, as we've been told, the current models just use a splitter, doesn't that mean it's impossible? Also, is there any additional processing within the AVR required, and does it have sufficient "headroom" to manage it?

As far as I know, there are different versions of the BMM that will become available. The basic version of the module was supposed be for single subs. Maybe that changed.

I've read the JBL SDR35 (more attractive, and pricier sister to the AVR30) comes with the full Dirac Bass Management software on board (so no external kit required), and that the HDMI board will be removable/replaceable. Interesting post earlier in the thread about the Arcam having three Dirac saving slots? Let's see what Arcam say when they do their full reveal.

So do these new AVR’s mark the end of the FMJ line, or is there a possibility of new FMJ models in the future? Unless I’ve missed something, the new models aren’t a massive spec bump over the current line..
I really like the look of the current HDA range, but I’m really not sold the look of these new AVR’s, they look like a game of ‘pin the tail on the donkey’! Will stick with my AVR550 for the time being I think..

So do these new AVR’s mark the end of the FMJ line, or is there a possibility of new FMJ models in the future? Unless I’ve missed something, the new models aren’t a massive spec bump over the current line..
I really like the look of the current HDA range, but I’m really not sold the look of these new AVR’s, they look like a game of ‘pin the tail on the donkey’! Will stick with my AVR550 for the time being I think..
To be honest 16 channel is a massive spec bump, and you need next gen processing to do it, hence why they will be ale to do three slots for Dirac, have an up to date Dac and more than likely they won't be able to use there antique menu with these either, silver lining!

The current implementation of Dirac is fine. As for bugs, there will never be anything that is bug free software wise. They do seem ultra slow at fixing bugs right now though. That will have to improve if they want to keep their brand reputation.
Agree the current implementation is fine but it was a two year journey to get there, who's going to check Arcam's homework this time?

16 channel is a big spec jump for those that need it - but I imagine a lot of people will be limited by space considerations, so a good quality 7.1.4 channel will be more than adequate. Be interesting to see if these new AVRs are a significant step up in sound quality from the current FMJs (I have the 550 myself, used in 5.1.2 only).

I wouldn't hold your breath hoping that Arcam will have invested any particular time or money in nice new menus though!!! :)

Last edited:
16 channel is a big spec jump for those that need it - but I imagine a lot of people will be limited by space considerations, so a good quality 7.1.4 channel will be more than adequate. Be interesting to see if these new AVRs are a significant step up in sound quality from the current FMJs (I have the 550 myself, used in 5.1.2 only).

I wouldn't hold your breath hoping that Arcam will have invested any particular time or money in nice new menus though!!! :)

Unless they have improved something in the analog section, I doubt there will be any audible difference.

Agree the current implementation is fine
There are still unresolved bugs in the current firmware that were reported some 6 months ago with no resolution as yet. Owners have had to downgrade firmware to a previous version while Arcam twiddle their thumbs & look out the window.
who's going to check Arcam's homework this time?
There should be enough expertise in the Samsung family to get it right sooner rather than later this time. But if Arcam have been left to their own devices there's nothing to suggest they've learnt anything from letting their customers beta test.

Unless they have improved something in the analog section, I doubt there will be any audible difference.
That's what I was thinking, so unless proved otherwise I'll happily stick with my 550. :)

The silver volume knob and buttons are....ugly

I just splashed out £2k before the £500 trade in
Now this lol I'm jinxed

Might be of interest to some

A lot of talk about the"arcam sound" but is arcam still arcam or are the new AVR's just the same as all the other 2019 AVR's sold by the new owners of arcam? I am thinking badge engineering

Owners have had to downgrade firmware to a previous version while Arcam twiddle their thumbs & look out the window.

A very valid point but maybe the fix will come if and it is a big if the AVR's get the Dirac bass upgrade

Not holding my breath, I am sure Arcam will have their hands full with releasing firmware (very slowly) for the new AVR's. Going to be interesting to see what bugs there are this time round.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom