New Arcam AVR's

Interestingly, looking on Arcam site, these are under the HDA not FMJ range.

Someone at the Arcam copy-writing dept has dropped a cod

From the AV40 spec.pdf

"The AV40 boasts the dynamic class G amplification, powering the most complex speakers "

The AV40 does not have speaker outputs

I suppose a copy paste error by someone who knows nothing about the product

Reminds me of the LG TV wall mount - all over the net the same pic was posted nice pic but it was upside down - nobody bothered to look at the pic just used it as is

So aaving a look at the prices of the new Arcam stuff at audio affair I find

AVR10 - 2299
AVR 20 - 2999
AVR 30 - 4999
AVR40 - 3799

I get that the 10 has only 12 ch, the 20 has 16ch both with class ab amps, the 30 has 16ch with class g and the 40 is a pre-only

But if someone wants a 12ch or 16ch pre why buy the 40 when the 10 and 20 have pre outs for all ch?
at price premium of up to 1500 what does the 40 give apart from xlr outs?

Looks like a whole lot of money for not a lot extra, but maybe I have got it wrong

No different in principal to the current range, bar the channel uplift at AVR20 and earc, so:-

AVR390 -> AVR10 (12 ch, class A, frame PSU)
AVR550 -> AVR20 (12>16 ch, class A, toroidal PSU)
AVR850 -> AVR30 (12>16 ch, class G, toroidal PSU)
AV860 -> AV40 (12>16 ch, pre, toroidal PSU)

So as I thought the 40 brings nothing (apart from XLR outs) that the 20 does not have
800 is a lot of cash for XLR outs, for less one could buy unbalanced to balanced convertor boxes if XLR was so important

So as I thought the 40 brings nothing (apart from XLR outs) that the 20 does not have
800 is a lot of cash for XLR outs, for less one could buy unbalanced to balanced convertor boxes if XLR was so important
I thought the AV40 also had a better DAC

Have just been in touch with Fanthorpes HiFi about the AV 40 as they are offering trade in etc
As i currently have the AV860 i'm interested in the AV 40 and whether there is much to be gained by upgrading to it from my AV860?
So i asked some questions regarding the XLR outs and Sub outs etc and also the new bass management module and it only being Tier 1 included on the new models, with the end user having to pay direct to Dirac to get the Tier 2 functionality etc ..... they are going to get back to me once they have spoken to Arcam.

If i hear anything interesting i'll post here.

Someone at the Arcam copy-writing dept has dropped a cod

From the AV40 spec.pdf

"The AV40 boasts the dynamic class G amplification, powering the most complex speakers "

The AV40 does not have speaker outputs

I suppose a copy paste error by someone who knows nothing about the product

Reminds me of the LG TV wall mount - all over the net the same pic was posted nice pic but it was upside down - nobody bothered to look at the pic just used it as is
Not just the data sheet but the website too :facepalm:

No different in principal to the current range, bar the channel uplift at AVR20 and earc, so:-

AVR390 -> AVR10 (12 ch, class A, frame PSU)
AVR550 -> AVR20 (12>16 ch, class A, toroidal PSU)
AVR850 -> AVR30 (12>16 ch, class G, toroidal PSU)
AV860 -> AV40 (12>16 ch, pre, toroidal PSU)

Fairly significant difference is the 'approval' for 4ohm speaker loads on all models and not just the 850.

I can see 4ohm support would be a good thing, I do wonder given the new avrs are also sold under other brands in the group arcam are now a part of how much of the new range is really arcam tech. I guess the last range was a true arcam design but what about now ??

Wasn't the old range also badged under a few brands, not sure who created it in the first place, but Lexicon and I think another brand not well known in the UK were identical kit with different fronts..

I can see 4ohm support would be a good thing, I do wonder given the new avrs are also sold under other brands in the group arcam are now a part of how much of the new range is really arcam tech. I guess the last range was a true arcam design but what about now ??
I'm banking on some of the new tech not being Arcam, I think they were struggling with the more technical aspects of modern multi channel devices, especially on the digital side. Hopefully Harman have brought something to the party in this area.

Well having had, Pioneer, Denon, Anthem, Yamaha (in that order) before our Arcam the Arcam is by far the best for music as well as film soundtracks., and that was before Dirac was run. I would hope the new Avr range has not lost the "sound" the current range has

Update... I just got this from Arcam UK support

"As it stands at the moment we do not know what Version of Dirac Bass management will be available on the new range of AVR's as our product development team are still finalising things.

Announcements well be made in due course if our current (FMJ) or new range (HDA) will support any of the new functionality of Dirac bass management."

Last edited:
That's interesting seeing as in the video posted earlier they've already stated 'Tier 1' and 'Tier 2' will be a paid download direct from Dirac..... sounds like they need to get their act together and release some proper information, as opposed to what sounds like a 'non answer' with a bit of 'hedging their bets' thrown in for good measure.
Guess this was always going to be an issue when they are no longer the masters of their own destiny!
I'd also like to see 'Logic 16' appear in some format on the Arcam's too, wishful thinking though.

Can't do wides in my room 5.2M X 3.3M, but have prewired for extra heights in the loft space above when I built the house.

I'm not sure how much improvement going from 7.1.4 to 7.1.6 would bring, considering the extra cost to upgrade and I'd need extra amplification. Probably would go top fronts rather than an extra speakers between my current Atmos speakers.

Anyone planning on running six height speakers with these new 16 channel AVR/processors?

"I'm not sure how much improvement going from 7.1.4 to 7.1.6"

I wonder the same

"As it stands at the moment we do not know what Version of Dirac Bass management will be available on the new range of AVR's as our product development team are still finalising things.

Announcements well be made in due course if our current (FMJ) or new range (HDA) will support any of the new functionality of Dirac bass management."

So give it about six months & you will know something:facepalm:

I guess if you own an Arcam you should be used to waiting or should I say hoping.

Does make me wonder if they are holding back on releasing info about the bass management module so people pre-order/purchase the AVR's first & then drop the bomb that tier 1 will be the only option.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Had this message from Arcam earlier today when i enquired about the benefits of upgrading from my AV860 to the AV40

Hi Shane. The av40 supports airplay 2, google cast, mqa, roon endpoint, gapless playback and earc. On top of that we have worked on improving the processing potential of this range, meaning multiple discrete subwoofer outputs, up to 16 channels of processing, 3 dirac slots with dirac bass management support. On top of all that, we have worked on improving the output quality so hopefully it will represent a big upgrade in connectivity and performance.

Thanks for the update, I will wait until these are out in the wild in owners hands to see what we are actually getting.

Would not be the first time I have been told something by Arcam support for it not to come to fruition.

I hope it is all true & everything works as advertised but as I have said before being a AVR850 owner, once burned twice shy.

£4500 is far to much money to be a beta tester again for me.

Last edited:
Must admit i'm happier that the AV40 pricing is better than what i paid for the AV860, so fingers crossed there will be some sort of trade in deal to be had. The ability to have 3 Dirac slots and the promise of better sound quality and support for Dirac Bass Management makes it very tempting for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom