New Arcam AVR's

IMAX Enhanced has 4 movies you can buy... I'm surprised more AVR companies aren't putting money into licensing it so that people can watch Angry Birds 2 with iMax Enhanced audio / video...
Is that sarcasm I detect?

Spoke to my dealer today & he has just had two AVR 30's delivered, he says they are functional but Dirac is totally missing.

Apparently it is not ready yet & will be available in three weeks when Arcam will release a firmware update.

Spoke to my dealer today & he has just had two AVR 30's delivered, he says they are functional but Dirac is totally missing.

Apparently it is not ready yet & will be available in three weeks when Arcam will release a firmware update.
I have been offered an AVR10 from a dealers first batch that got delivered this week that I am considering. So surely they have a fully working Dirac

I personally don’t see much point of the AVR10 over the old models....

No not yet, but from the paper based specs it doesn’t look much of an upgrade. The old ones can be picked up at good prices but the new ones will be much higher.. Will be pleasantly pleased to hear different if you've had a demo or plan too soon.

No not yet, but from the paper based specs it doesn’t look much of an upgrade. The old ones can be picked up at good prices but the new ones will be much higher.. Will be pleasantly pleased to hear different if you've had a demo or plan too soon.
On paper and actually hearing it is too different things.

I have not heard the 550-850 so I can not compare. I can compare it to a Marantz 8012 & Anthem 720. Once I get one in for demo next week

I personally don’t see much point of the AVR10 over the old models....

If the new models have true 2 sub support, less bugs than the FMJ's, extra surround/height outputs, more than one Dirac mem slot, and support for the Dirac BM add-on then some will see the point of the new models. but if none of those are of interest to the user. save cash buy an FMJ and get a bargain

Last edited:
Agree, it’s the AVR20 and up that really have me keeping an eye on this thread...

It would be interesting if (and its a big if) the FMJ's get a firmware update to fix the bugs and can support basic Dirac BM.

They will then become sought after bargains

Agree, it’s the AVR20 and up that really have me keeping an eye on this thread...
The AVR10-20 are the same with different wattage AVR30 class G is the one that should be kept an eye on

Last edited:
The AVR10-20 are the same with different wattage AVR30 class Gi is the one that should be kept an eye on
Different processing channels too

I'll be interested to see the GUI / remote + general interface.
I believe what feels like DIRAC ver.2 could be an absolute winner.

The AVR10-20 are the same with different wattage AVR30 class G is the one that should be kept an eye on
20 has 16 processed channels...

So it looks like exactly the same remote control as current range, so still no "Display" Input :(

talking of the new range not working ootb as they should, now here is a funny thing, Arcam are now saying the new range was sent to distributors in order dealers could have them to demo to customers not to sell them 'cos they are not a finished product. Why do that? how can a dealer demo a product if it is not really working as it should. Arcam make a thing about all sales should be in a dealership not mail order so the customer knows what he/she is getting. how does that work then if the product is not fully working

I've been holding off for the avr30 but is the Denon x8500 the safer bet?
The Denon 8500 probably is a safer bet, but it might not sound as good, or at least, it will almost certainly sound different, and we don't know which sound you might prefer.

What AVR have you got now?

I've been holding off for the avr30 but is the Denon x8500 the safer bet?

For something that’s going to do what it’s supposed to do out of the box, probably yes.
Will the Denon have less bugs, no doubt yes.
Will you be less frustrated with the Denon, probably yes.
Will the Denon be easier to set up and use generally, probably yes.

There is no doubt that they will sound different though. I think most would prefer the sound of the Arcam over Denon.

I‘d be doing as much research as possible before deciding either way.

Dont forget as well that the Denon 8500 is guaranteed to take the new HDMI 2.1 board as a hardware upgrade once it becomes available,

Dan, have I heard correctly that it could be possible the HDA range will have the possibility of an upgradable HDMI board?

I wont hold my breath though :D

My understanding that the only models from D&M will be the Marantz 8805 & Denon 8500 and these will be a hardware upgrade a bit like the 7200/8802 range had the opportunity to do.

We are in the realms with the HDMI boards where some of the really new iterations might take a software update rather than hardware to but the information coming from the manufacturers and MDS is pretty poor at the moment and ive not yet had anything like this confirmed for sure. Definitely not had that confirmed from Arcam, as yet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom