New Arcam AVR's

Plugged mic in and my laptop reports it as an 'Arcam calibration mic', manufactured by Arcam.

Just tried installing Dirac 2.3; it can detect the new amplifier, but when I double click, it is showing an error message 'error connecting to device, with message "Failed to register proxy."'

The Dirac FAQ shows info for that error

"Please check that the communication settings are correct, it should be set to IP."

Is your AVR set to IP comms ??

This is looking half hopefull

Try powering amp off at wall, reboot but don’t try and connect to it via ip for anything except Dirac. On mine if I’d controlled it via ip it kind of locks the ip to that and Dirac couldn’t get in. It’s a bug in the old ones that the network is a bit flakey..

user manual Page EN-32

General Setup:-
Control – Enables or disables RS232 or IP (NET)
control, a system that allows control from various third-
party home automation systems. Note, only RS232 or IP
control can be used, not both.

I think that is the setting the FAQ is talking about not a network setup setting - might be wrong though

Last edited:
Or Dirac not live yet?!?! 🤔

General Setup:-
Control – Enables or disables RS232 or IP (NET)
control, a system that allows control from various third-
party home automation systems. Note, only RS232 or IP
control can be used, not both.

Currently the amplifier is set to IP vs RS232. As an aside, trying to use the DIRAC feature resulted in the amplifier needing a reboot. I never had any issues with DIRAC previously, ran through calibration 2 - 3 times without issue.

My suspicion is that the service may not be live yet? Will wait till the next firmware comes out and try again and report back.

The last I heard from my dealer the firmware that activates Dirac Live has not been released yet, I will contact him on Monday to get an update but Arcam being Arcam who knows.

They said three weeks for the firmware to be released two weeks ago so I will give them them benefit of the doubt that they will hit that deadline. :rolleyes:

If previous form is anything to go by they will probably push it to end users full of bugs to get the Christmas sales.

Seems to me at this point they should have delayed the launch date like NAD did till next year.

Last edited:
I took delivery of the Arcam AV40 yesterday and it’s going back, there are bugs in the product that make it unacceptable to accept as a finished product at that price point, HDMI switching is awful doesn’t work, you have to power cycle to get it to work, takes 20 seconds to lock onto any source, even an analogue connection from a CD is slow, one of the 12v triggers doesn’t work, the remote crashes and needs a hard reset every 5 mins, the major firmware update fixed nothing, the sound is great when it works, stereo is lovely, but I think I am going to have to return it for the Yamaha CX-5200 because I can’t live with a product with so many frustrating bugs.

Any pictures? Where did you buy from? Also thanks for 1st message today to contribute! 👍

Last edited:
I took delivery of the Arcam AV40 yesterday and it’s going back, there are bugs in the product that make it unacceptable to accept as a finished product at that price point, HDMI switching is awful doesn’t work, you have to power cycle to get it to work, takes 20 seconds to lock onto any source, even an analogue connection from a CD is slow, one of the 12v triggers doesn’t work, the remote crashes and needs a hard reset every 5 mins, the major firmware update fixed nothing, the sound is great when it works, stereo is lovely, but I think I am going to have to return it for the Yamaha CX-5200 because I can’t live with a product with so many frustrating bugs.

Out of interest, what power amp did you use?

I’ve had most of the issues you mention.

Did you check if you needed to press the AMP button to be pressed between sources as it’s behaviour is as per the FMJ models which can be annoying but guess I’ve gotten used to it.

I’m still persevering with my Arcam amplifier - managed to get the chrome-cast working last night and so far switching, whilst not trouble free, so far has been better on the 239 firmware, a couple of reboots but nothing like as bad as on the earlier firmware.

Will add 12v trigger and analogue tests to my testing regime. Thanks for your insights, it’s useful to keep track as keen to start flagging issues to Arcam to get them addressed.

Other than stability, the main features I’m still waiting on are running two HDMI outputs, MQA decoding & Dirac.
Hopefully there will be new versions of firmware soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any pictures? Where did you buy from? Also thanks for 1st message today to contribute! 👍
I got the AV40 from Sevenoaks, ordered it a couple of months ago after selling my Yamaha RX-A3060, still working on a switching bug with the Arcam, I can switch between an analogue feed from a Cambridge Audio 851n streamer to a Blu-Ray movie no issue, but as soon as I switch to Sky Q via HDMI, all the switching between sources fail, no sound. I have to power cycle the Arcam to bring it all back online. With Sky Q when it is working, as soon as I change to a different channel, the sound is lost, the picture is there !! Will log a support call with Arcam if I cant find a fix today, the unit is going back anyway because the 2nd 12v trigger doesn't work and the remote still requires a reset numerous times a day ? It does produce a great sound with film and music, I am wondering if I have a faulty HDMI port, checking that now !!

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpg
    IMG_3817.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
  • IMG_3819.jpg
    IMG_3819.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 306

Are both triggers supposed to work in your setup? ?

Page E-14 of the user manual shows Trig Z1 is for zone1, Trig Z2 is for zone 2

So if you only have a single zone set up then it looks like only Trig Z1 is supposed to work

Hope this helps

I see in the notes in the firmware file for the new AVR's Arcam still recommended using USB rather than network for updates and after doing an update as with the FMJ's a full factory reset

Last edited:

So if you only have a single zone set up then it looks like only Trig Z1 is supposed to work

Hope this helps

I see in the notes in the firmware file for the new AVR's Arcam still recommended using USB rather than network for updates and after doing an update as with the FMJ's a full factory reset
This trigger zone thing caught me out with the AVR550, so may just be the same...

I’ve had most of the issues you mention.

Did you check if you needed to press the AMP button to be pressed between sources as it’s behaviour is as per the FMJ models which can be annoying but guess I’ve gotten used to it.

I’m still persevering with my Arcam amplifier - managed to get the chrome-cast working last night and so far switching, whilst not trouble free, so far has been better on the 239 firmware, a couple of reboots but nothing like as bad as on the earlier firmware.

Hadn’t considered using pre/power amplifiers, that’s an interesting thought. Presumably it’d be possible to use Yamaha/Denon decoding and still have Arcam amplification? I came from a Yamaha amplifier a few years ago and had a Denon a few years prior to that and felt the Arcam had better amplification, but tolerated the more basic feature set. Hadn’t thought of getting a hybrid before...:rolleyes: interesting idea!

Will add 12v trigger and analogue tests to my testing regime. Thanks for your insights, it’s useful to keep track as keen to start flagging issues to Arcam to get them addressed.

Other than stability, the main features I’m still waiting on are running two HDMI outputs, MQA decoding & Dirac.
Hopefully there will be new versions of firmware soon...
I have logged a support ticket with Arcam today, I tried the AMP button like you suggested, but it doesn't do anything, if Arcam don't point me to something very straight forward in the setup to fix the issue then my short trip into the world of Arcam is over, I am not going to wait months for a firmware update, I will keep you posted on what they say:
Message to Arcam support:
(Took delivery of the Arcam AV40 yesterday, 2nd 12v trigger not working, Arcam remote requires a factory reset around 10 times a day, switching between HDMI sources results in loss of sound from ALL sources such as Blu-Ray, Sky Q and even the CD via an analogue connection loses sound. The only way to fix the problem is to power cycle the AV40. When watching Sky Q, as soon as you change channel, the sound is lost and you have to carry out the process mentioned above. The AV40 is also very slow at picking up it sources, takes up to 20 seconds to lock on, HDMI switching is very poor which I think is creating the issues outlined above. I cannot continue to power cycle the receiver every time it loses sound, is there something I have missed in the setup ? )

Hope this helps

You are right :) I can only use Trig Z1, so I have used a 12v loop from one of my amps to get round that, at least one thing has been sorted today !! Thank you

@JnyP
You merged your reply with the quote from @mattmk so I've copied it here:

JNYP said:
I have logged a support ticket with Arcam today, I tried the AMP button like you suggested, but it doesn't do anything, if Arcam don't point me to something very straight forward in the setup to fix the issue then my short trip into the world of Arcam is over, I am not going to wait months for a firmware update, I will keep you posted on what they say:
Message to Arcam support:
(Took delivery of the Arcam AV40 yesterday, 2nd 12v trigger not working, Arcam remote requires a factory reset around 10 times a day, switching between HDMI sources results in loss of sound from ALL sources such as Blu-Ray, Sky Q and even the CD via an analogue connection loses sound. The only way to fix the problem is to power cycle the AV40. When watching Sky Q, as soon as you change channel, the sound is lost and you have to carry out the process mentioned above. The AV40 is also very slow at picking up it sources, takes up to 20 seconds to lock on, HDMI switching is very poor which I think is creating the issues outlined above. I cannot continue to power cycle the receiver every time it loses sound, is there something I have missed in the setup ? )

You are right :) I can only use Trig Z1, so I have used a 12v loop from one of my amps to get round that, at least one thing has been sorted today !! Thank you

Glad to help, I guess it does make sense to do the trigs like that 'cos in a 2 zone system things would get difficult with both trigs working in tandem. I am rather surprised that the kit has come out with so many errors. Ok Dirac is to follow as it is on other new models i.e emotiva, but apart from that things should work ootb. Still on a plus point at least Arcam do provide a full printed manual (well the FMJ's come with one) unlike many other brands who give a 1 sheet quick start guide and the full manual is on line or a CD in the box.

Well this is not looking good, I can't believe Arcam & the dealers are letting them out in the wild like this to be honest.

Even basic functionality seems crippled. :facepalm:

Well this is not looking good, I can't believe Arcam & the dealers are letting them out in the wild like this to be honest.

Even basic functionality seems crippled. :facepalm:
Only Arcam could make Emotiva look less incompetent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom