New Arcam AVR's

The last time i was in contact with them it took nearly 3 weeks for me to get a reply, however, that was over the Christmas Holiday period.

Yeah, I reported a few things before Christmas. Got a reply about 2 weeks later saying they would attempt to replicate then last week they responded with successful replication and forwarding to dev team of one bug, need more info for another and will try to replicate in the next few weeks for the other. They are slow to respond but at least they are actually replicating and raising bugs properly; much better than support staff for some companies who cannot even escalate.

That's the main problem I have with mine. Hope it gets sorted soon, drives me nuts.
I followed what arcam advised and I’ve had no issue over the weekend with Spotify 👍

I followed what arcam advised and I’ve had no issue over the weekend with Spotify 👍

I don't quite understand that reply... Mines been playing up all day with spotify and the usual dramas with Netflix this evening.

FYI, I asked Logitech support to add the AVR10, AVR20, AVR30 and AV40 to the database for their Harmony remote ("hub") and gave them Arcam's documentation. They have just advised that this has now been done. Haven't had time to test it yet.

I asked Logitech support to add the AVR10, AVR20, AVR30 and AV40 to the database for their Harmony remote
Same codes as the FMJs so hopefully they just renamed that set. Otherwise you'll miss out on the Input DIsplay option.

Question, why don't they put the input "display" on the remote? I have to get up to switch it?🤔

Question, why don't they put the input "display" on the remote? I have to get up to switch it?🤔
Here is Arcam's response to that very question when i asked them that and several other questions
and to be fair, my AV860 does automatically switch to display & back again ...so check your settings.

• Is there a way to select the Display Input from the remote control?
A. The DISPLAY input can technically be accessed using the remote on both the AV860 and the AV40 by going to MENU > INPUT CONFIG > INPUT > DISPLAY. There is no direct single button or combination that you can press to hop straight there though.

The DISPLAY input in theory shouldn't need manual selection. The TV should send a CEC command to tell the processor to change to the ARC input (in this case DISPLAY) when a source of ARC suitable audio is selected. So for instance when you open the Netflix app or tune to a channel using the internal tuner.the TV should send a signal to the processor to flip to the DISPLAY input.

When you move away from the ARC audio source on the TV (for instance by closing the app) the TV sends another command which causes the processor to revert to the input it was on before ARC was invoked.

If you desperately want to change directly to the DISPLAY input then there are discrete IP, RS232 and IR commands that the unit will respond to in order to accomplish that but the remote can't emit the command. You would either need to use a third party programmable device or you could use the free iOS or Android control app if your unit is networked.

FYI, I asked Logitech support to add the AVR10, AVR20, AVR30 and AV40 to the database for their Harmony remote ("hub") and gave them Arcam's documentation. They have just advised that this has now been done. Haven't had time to test it yet.
Did a quick test and it failed to power on the unit. If others have time to test, I can provide feedback under the support case Logitech have open.

The DISPLAY input in theory shouldn't need manual selection.

If you desperately want to change directly to the DISPLAY input then there are discrete IP, RS232 and IR commands that the unit will respond to in order to accomplish that but the remote can't emit the command.

That’s making the assumption that “everyone” will use CEC commands as envisioned, which is quite a stretch. In Reality CEC is riddled with compatibility issues amongst brands, and has many unwanted behaviors and side effects (inputs on the receiver changing when the TV is switched on etc).

I always turn CEC off, and manually switch to TV Audio input when needed. It’s going to be a huge PItA to follow the steps above all the time.

Can someone confirm that if I am running four subs I can also run sixteen channels or is this not possible because four of the sixteen channels are assigned for subs?

Can someone confirm that if I am running four subs I can also run sixteen channels or is this not possible because four of the sixteen channels are assigned for subs?

My guess would be, seeing as we really don't know yet:

Not possible, because four of the sixteen channels are assigned for subs, as you thought. This is with each sub having an independent channel and hence can be used with the Dirac bass module.

Though you could use the standard sub out and the built-in sub splitter to run 9.2.6 or 9.4.6 and then handle the 2 or 4 subs the same as you can on the current range with a miniDSP 2x4 etc

My guess would be, seeing as we really don't know yet:

Not possible, because four of the sixteen channels are assigned for subs, as you thought. This is with each sub having an independent channel and hence can be used with the Dirac bass module.

Though you could use the standard sub out and the built-in sub splitter to run 9.2.6 or 9.4.6 and then handle the 2 or 4 subs the same as you can on the current range with a miniDSP 2x4 etc

That makes sense, still a little disappointing you lose those four channels, I am sure many of those looking at these AVR's were looking to expand their setup to a 9.4.6 to take advantage of those extra channels.

This a little misleading IMO as when looking at other AVR's when the amount of channels is quoted it is usually excluding sub channels.

I guess we will have to wait & see if this is how the bass management module is implemented but from early adopters it look like they are using four of the sixteen quoted channels for subs.

This a little misleading IMO as when looking at other AVR's when the amount of channels is quoted it is usually excluding sub channels.

Wonder how many competitors who exclude the sub channels will allow 4 individually calibrated sub channels.

I think others do it the same way, Emo XMC-2 was the same, they are described as 16 channel processors which is 9.1.6 not 9.x.6, if you want discrete sub channels they need processing unless you process them as 1 and split..

I guess this is a new quirk from the marketing departments now we are seeing independently EQed sub channels.

Just something to bear in mind when looking at these newer AVR's that provide independent sub EQ as I did think I was going to be able to run a 9.4.4 system using the Dirac bass management for the four subs.

This has never been the case, although did confuse me when I bought my XMC-2, but 9+4+4=17. On the XMC-2 some outputs are labelled as sub or height I think, there was physically only 16 XLR outputs. Not sure if it’s an option but you maybe able to run 9.1.4 by running the 1 sub output via another Dirac device (maybe MiniDSP) to EQ the sub signal separately.

I guess this is a new quirk from the marketing departments now we are seeing independently EQed sub channels.

Just something to bear in mind when looking at these newer AVR's that provide independent sub EQ as I did think I was going to be able to run a 9.4.4 system using the Dirac bass management for the four subs.

It is pretty much the norm that independent subs eat into your channel count. This is the norm for nearly all of the new products; Emotiva, Acurus, Monoprice, Some of the Storm Mk2s and others.

So if I'm reading this correctly, if running 5.4.6, are the four Subs independently EQ'd ?

Well I thought so, but if you look at the manual (I just had a look) that's a bit confusing to me as it has 17 outputs not 16, so I wonder if sub1 is EQ'd, but then not sure if sub2 is Eq'd or fed off the same Eq as sub1 but with separate level and delay or if it is separately fully EQ'd. I suspect all 16 channels are Eq'd so you'd plug extra subs into 12/13/14/15, just not sure what the 17th connection does..

If you can find a picture of the AV40 this may help, as it has only 16 XLR's and the XLRs are labelled as you'd expect, but with only 1 sub output and then extra it has 13/14/15/16..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom