New Arcam AVR's

S8 or S9 is better value I’d say and can be less noisey
S is the previous generation and without the screen
True.. so either way (10, 20 or 550) it’s still a minimum of 2 boxes for 5.1.4. My surrounds are 4 ohm, 85db sensitive.

it looks like the options are
AVR10: 3 Dirac slots, Dirac bass management, potentially future upgrades for sound formats etc
550: I’m guessing similar price to AVR10, better amps for my surrounds, limited crossover flexibility
AVR20: Better amps for surrounds, maybe independent bass management if I upgraded to 2 subs down the road
AVR10: 2 subs on one sub channel- don't know how Dirac BM will work on that if room is not perfectly shaped. Dirac will see them as one sub - same for avr550
AVR20: Up to 4 independent subs, so 7.4.4 (or even 7.5.4, or 5.4.6)
please correct if i'm wrong

I think the S & T are both the next generation models, identical inside and identical cooling and airflow specs, it’s just the T has a fancy screen and extra rear USBs if you need fans in your cabinet. I’ve recently had both side by side, for me the T screen was annoying and unnecessary, once I setup the T I realised I used the same settings that the S has by default anyway. For me the T was louder which steered me towards the S, although the led speed indicator on the S is a little bright so I’ve bought some dimming stickers... For me the 43% extra cost for the T over the S was not worth it so I sent the T back and kept the S..

But the AVR10 hasn't ;)
Yes I know, I wouldn’t rush for an AVR10, I’d say old series or AVR20 or above....or give up on Arcam and cast the net wider... Having just setup a Denon x6300 in another room using the iOS app instead of just the amp I must say I’m a LOT more impressed than I’ve ever been, I normally hate Audyssey with a passion on the 6-7 amps I’ve had with it previously, I usually give it a go (again) and then always disable it within a few days of setting it up...

Fyi the AVR20 is ok with 4 ohm.speakers.

AVR20: Up to 4 independent subs, so 7.4.4 (or even 7.5.4, or 5.4.6)
please correct if i'm wrong

That's correct, with extra amplification.

Given up on Dirac on my av40...Spent most of the day trying to sort it with no joy, spoke to Dirac and they have no idea what could be coursing the midbass distortion.

Given up on Dirac on my av40...Spent most of the day trying to sort it with no joy, spoke to Dirac and they have no idea what could be coursing the midbass distortion.
Are you seeing the correct speaker setup in Dirac now?

Last edited:
Are you using the standard Dirac auto curve for all speakers?
I’ve tried that and the Harman curve and a few others

it sounds like a digital distortion if that makes sense and I can't understand why the subs are so loud either

I’ve tried that and the Harman curve and a few others

it sounds like a digital distortion if that makes sense and I can't understand why the subs are so loud either
Are you using all 4 sub's, how have you got them configured/connected?

Are you using all 4 sub's, how have you got them configured/connected?
they are connected to channel 13/14/15/16

as ive said before without Dirac..no problems

I appreciated all the replies - thankyou 👍

they are connected to channel 13/14/15/16

as ive said before without Dirac..no problems
Might be worthwhile posting your Dirac curves, might help someone work out what's going on.

I appreciated all the replies - thankyou 👍
Not sure anyone else is running 4 subs yet, it could be the problem with Dirac implementation causing the distortion and loudness on subs. Might be worth trying with a single sub to see if the problem/s still exists. Though I appreciate it's a lot quicker to type that than it is to actually do!

Not sure anyone else is running 4 subs yet, it could be the problem with Dirac implementation causing the distortion and loudness on subs. Might be worth trying with a single sub to see if the problem/s still exists. Though I appreciate it's a lot quicker to type that than it is to actually do!
It had distortion before I had 4 subs. I was running 2 x12’s and still the samething happened, one thing I did try today was to just eq the subs..but I still had slight midbass distortion on my mains

im getting fed up with the word distortion 😂 it’s giving me the hump

How about if you just have them connected via sub 1 & 2, maybe it's something to do with how inputs 13 - 16 are configured?

slight midbass distortion on my mains

This is the bit that makes me think there is something going on with either the crossover region or how the sub's are interacting with the mains .... something isn't right?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom