New Arcam AVR's

Damn it. I thought I was all clear. Got rid of one bug, another rears its head:

Atmos track distortion is still here. Intermittent distortion, mainly from heights.

UPDATE: tried factory reset. Did not help. Tried 1.40, same as with previous unit. Re-installed 1.36, distortion gone now, for now. Did get loud screeching noise on first load up of 2049, but all good since. So FWs seems to be behaving exactly the same as my last unit. Will run more sweeps later/ tomorrow to see if Dirac distortion is still absent.

Last edited:
Anybody know if you can use SUB 1 & SUB 2 outputs when using channels 13 to 16 for front & rear subs?

I believe I read that SUB 1 & SUB 2 are mirrored via software but does anyone know if EQ is applied to these outputs?

I did not have the subwoofer option set to present when I did my Dirac calibration so not sure if I will just be able to enable the option or if this will stop me being able to activate room EQ due to a change in speaker config.

I have some tactile transducers & would love to be able to use SUB 1 & SUB 2 for them & if they do not have EQ applied they would save me a job.

Anybody know if you can use SUB 1 & SUB 2 outputs when using channels 13 to 16 for front & rear subs?

I believe I read that SUB 1 & SUB 2 are mirrored via software but does anyone know if EQ is applied to these outputs?

I did not have the subwoofer option set to present when I did my Dirac calibration so not sure if I will just be able to enable the option or if this will stop me being able to activate room EQ due to a change in speaker config.

I have some tactile transducers & would love to be able to use SUB 1 & SUB 2 for them & if they do not have EQ applied they would save me a job.
Sub1 &2 are mirrored (seen as one by Dirac) with single filter applied. Not sure beyond that, but try and see...

Dear all,

Dirac distortion came back this morning, also from left surround speaker this time (AVR30 pre-amp) - I forgot that I had distortion from left surround a few times a couple months back. Tried everything again but no help. I've boxed the machine back up for collection and a refund.

I wish everyone on here happy enjoyment of their Arcam's and for those still encumbered, I hope the necessary fixes will come as soon as possible for you.

Thank you all for your support and kind advice.

Best wishes,

fallinlight

Dear,

Any of you tried DTS-X already?
It's available now from my Xbox (you need to be insider and have Alpha Skip ahead installed). Has to be activated with the DTS app, and enable DTS for Home Teather. Same process as with Atmos, basically.

When activated, the Xbox show DTS:X Master (192Khz). It works perfectly, but with Dirac Bass Control, I have white noise only.

I didn't try DTSX before 1.40, so no idea if it's an old bug.

hola te adjunto las fotos de mi habitación, espero que te gusten, admito tips y mejoras
el equipo está formado por:
-av arcam avr20
-Amplificador de potencia emocional xpa gen 3.5
- Amplificador de potencia emotivo bas x 500 de 5 canales
-proyector epson eh tw 9400
- reproductor panasonic ub 424
-reproductor sony x800
-zidoo x10 jugador
- reproductor clon oppo 203
- Altavoces SVS prime tower, prime center y prime satélite
-2 subwoofer de borde xtz 17.12
-4 dynaudio magic fx4 v.3

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_141402.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141402.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20201018_141429.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141429.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20201018_141438.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141438.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20201018_141711.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141711.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20201018_141531.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141531.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20201018_141624.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141624.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20201018_141546.jpg
    IMG_20201018_141546.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 94
hola te adjunto las fotos de mi habitación, espero que te gusten, admito tips y mejoras
-av arcam avr20
-reproductor sony x800
-zidoo x10 jugador

I can't swear, but, beautiful. Any way you can clear your frontstage from your gear and rack?

-av arcam avr20
-reproductor sony x800
-zidoo x10 jugador

Jealous❤

I would so love my own sound and cinema room!👍

Realmente no entiendo lo que quieres decir, pero quiero instalar un estante y hacer algunos cambios como insonorizar, cambiar sillas y colocar los parlantes detrás de la pantalla, pero eso llevará tiempo, ya que requiere trabajo y mucho dinero. así que hasta que lo guarde llegaré un poco tarde

Realmente no entiendo lo que quieres decir, pero quiero instalar un estante y hacer algunos cambios como insonorizar, cambiar sillas y colocar los parlantes detrás de la pantalla, pero eso llevará tiempo, ya que requiere trabajo y mucho dinero. así que hasta que lo guarde llegaré un poco tarde

Can you post in English please.

Thanks

@piluja I see the M9702. What's the model below it? Reproduction Sony x800?

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20201018_141429_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20201018_141429_LI.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
@piluja I see the M9702. What's the model below it? Reproduction Sony x800?
Sorry I did not explain well, the Sony I have removed and saved for emergencies, the bluray player that I have now is the Panasonic ub 424. The one below the M9702 is the zidoo x10 that is already 2 or 3 years old but it works very well although I hope to change both the bluray and the zidoo shortly for a zidoo z1000 pro and a Panasonic 9000

Anyone getting audio dropout on NET via tidal? Cycle through the DSP mode and audio returns...🙄

Unfortunately I fear the worst. I am looking at some Crowson Actuators and have been eyeing up the sub 2 output but I fear that it is just going to be a split at the very final stage of the output and therefore include EQ. If I go ahead I will update with my findings though. What transducers do you have just out of interest?

Unfortunately I fear the worst. I am looking at some Crowson Actuators and have been eyeing up the sub 2 output but I fear that it is just going to be a split at the very final stage of the output and therefore include EQ. If I go ahead I will update with my findings though. What transducers do you have just out of interest?

I am using custom built BOSS platforms for my front & rear row.

After thinking it through I cannot use the SUB1 or SUB 2 out in my setup as I also apply BEQ to my BOSS platforms so the outputted signal from the AVR needs to go via a 2x4 HD before getting to the amps.

I am already using two 2x4 HD's to apply BEQ to the channels 13 to 16 for my subs so I have no more inputs on my 2x4's available.

Short of buying another 2X4 HD I am going to need to work with one of the channels 13 to 16 outputs to supply my BOSS platforms.

Starts getting tricky as I need to apply delay to the subs as the BOSS platforms lag behind the subs as that is the nature of TR devices.

I am using custom built BOSS platforms for my front & rear row.

After thinking it through I cannot use the SUB1 or SUB 2 out in my setup as I also apply BEQ to my BOSS platforms so the outputted signal from the AVR needs to go via a 2x4 HD before getting to the amps.

I am already using two 2x4 HD's to apply BEQ to the channels 13 to 16 for my subs so I have no more inputs on my 2x4's available.

Short of buying another 2X4 HD I am going to need to work with one of the channels 13 to 16 outputs to supply my BOSS platforms.

Starts getting tricky as I need to apply delay to the subs as the BOSS platforms lag behind the subs as that is the nature of TR devices.

Interesting about the delay. I was planning on using DSP amps such as the minidsp ICE so that I could take an unequalised output and apply a 20hz or so LPF with a steep 24dB. Never really thought about the delay so I may have to rethink my solution.

Either way I will have to find a way to test what is coming out of the Sub2 on the AV40.

Unfortunately I fear the worst. I am looking at some Crowson Actuators and have been eyeing up the sub 2 output but I fear that it is just going to be a split at the very final stage of the output and therefore include EQ.
Unfortunately this is exactly what's u gonna find out, as Sub.2 out are just mirrored from SUB.1, and anything that applied to Sub.1 will be also applied to Sub.2 at the final stage.

I just wanted to update you all, my 30 will be collected on Weds for a full refund. Some DPD hiccups withstanding, and not being directly their fault, my dealer has been nothing but helpful, empathetic and supportive - a top service from Hi Fi Corner, whom I can highly recommend. I feel bad for them having to go through this at their end, it can't be good for their business. And as I know they have had other(s) returned HDA units. Seems Arcam messed up with the replacement unit, since it was not the latest - as far as my dealer and I are aware, with FW 1.34. And of course, they had promised a bug free unit, hardware at least I had hoped, but again of course, that was not the case. An on the DPD side, there was a failed collection attempt(s) their end with their products and for some reason DPD took the replacement unit out of the outer box my dealer ensured was their for safety and took the return labels out, too!

I now have a good deal on a Yamaha A3070 which I intend to purchase later this week, so that is positive, and honestly, I can't wait to return to the Yamaha, it will now be my third return to the A3070! It was a toss up between the A3070 and trying an 850, but I found out that the latest FW bugs are not fit for me and my usage. And despite the older FW 4.xx being stable, £1,300 on top of the A3070 deal I currently have, is not attractive to me for something without transferable warranty and given the flaky nature of the hardware/ FW, regardless of if FW 4.xx is stable at the moment. Because after my experience with the AVR30, it has left me with a really sour taste and experience. And I would be approaching anything Arcam in future with extreme caution. Sad to say, buy true. At least the Yamaha is rock solid and just works and I know I love the sound, so hassle free.

Happy days ahead, whilst I can hopefully enjoy my home cinema again very soon, safely and happily, and I will keep my eye on the market at the same time. Also this time around, I should have some spare power on tap from the A3070, as I intend to use my P429 for my rears and front height channels. I had only ever used all 9 internal channels, and whilst it did sound excellent, adding rears and then especially rears + heights, I did notice a slight drop in sound quality.

Interesting about the delay. I was planning on using DSP amps such as the minidsp ICE so that I could take an unequalised output and apply a 20hz or so LPF with a steep 24dB. Never really thought about the delay so I may have to rethink my solution.

Either way I will have to find a way to test what is coming out of the Sub2 on the AV40.

Cant tell if yourself and @AdamAttewell have a spare sub XLR output but if you do.....

I asked Dirac if a feature could be added to ignore a subwoofer output for calibration so it could be used for tactile devices. They said I wasn't the first person to ask and likely would not be difficult to implement so if you contact Dirac support expressing interest they are more likely to add this feature.

I asked Dirac if a feature could be added to ignore a subwoofer output for calibration so it could be used for tactile devices. They said I wasn't the first person to ask and likely would not be difficult to implement so if you contact Dirac support expressing interest they are more likely to add this feature.

+1. I asked back in June, and Flavio replied with "your request to tell Dirac Live to exclude a speaker from compensation for transducers has been added to the wishlist, I cannot guarantee that it will be implemented but it's now a possibility :)"

Cant tell if yourself and @AdamAttewell have a spare sub XLR output but if you do.....

Fantastic idea. Sadly I am using all 16 channels as I have a CH and VOG but it is a good suggestion nonetheless.

So Arcam posted on their facebook page today about some review of the AV30 and of course some people responded that they arent working. I was then posting and noticed they have removed at least 3-5 critical comments from the post. Mine will be removed soon I suppose, but I posted this:

I noticed some of the earlier critical comments by other people have been removed... My AV40 sounds good - when it works. I wish Arcam would assign the needed attention to finishing the software in a timely manner. It's been way to long now and bugs are still present. My AV40 for example freezes when I switch from a Dolby soundtrack to a DTS one. Also still randomly very loud pops when starting a new movie. Very often I need to reboot it to get it working. Instead of removing comments maybe just explain what difficulties you are having and maybe we can understand better why it has taking many many months to get the product to even function decently. I think you still have a chance to save your reputation and good will from your otherwise loyal customer base, but you need some sort of announcement about whats been going on with these new AVRs before everyone looses complete faith in your ability to produce a stable product. It's incredibly hard and expensive to gain loyal customers and right now it seems to me you are throwing that out the window with a completely unfinished product which is a shame. I wish you the best in completing a new firmware that finally makes these new AVRs the very good products that you market them as.

As I mention in the end I truely hope they will make these products great, but history shows us otherwise, and it's a real shame:(

PS: Just "show all comments" in facebook you can basicly calculate how many they are deleting.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom