New ATV(3) owner - couple of comments

pavr27

Established Member
Reaction score
Loving this, in conjunction with my ipad. If I didn't have an ipad or iphone, i think it would be pretty redundant though.

One annoying thing is the number of presses one has to make to navigate around the various menus. A few shortcuts/favourites would be handy, especially for jumping to 'now playing' or your favourite music playlists or the settings, or the 'sleep' function.

I have noticed an odd thing when using it with my ipad:

I am using the Remote app to Airplay music on it, and have noticed that when I then try to use certain apps on my ipad, it starts interfering with playback (ie, by using the touch screen on other apps, it appears to be still controlling Apple TV)

This is rather annoying as I want to be able to multitask and listen to music whilst playing games on the ipad.

Another think I have noticed is that when playing certain games, the audio (only audio) streams to the Apple TV when I don't want it to.

Looking forward to the ATV3 JB

One annoying thing is the number of presses one has to make to navigate around the various menus. A few shortcuts/favourites would be handy, especially for jumping to 'now playing' or your favourite music playlists or the settings, or the 'sleep' function.

pavr27, looks like you've got a Harmony one from your sig. Why not use that and setup some macros for navigating?

I do indeed, and I've already explored this option. Macros, or 'sequences' on the harmony are limited to 5 commands, and unfortunately, unless somebody can correct me, this is not sufficient to navigate where I want to.

Shame as I was thinking of getting an ATV3 and using the Harmony to control it. No discreet commands listed on the Harmony database then I assume?

Well you can certainly use the harmony to control the apple TV, I just haven't found by additional advantages of using the harmony yet, it just mimics what the original remote does.

Hopefully a couple of shortcuts that will help:
1. If you have navigated down into a few menu levels then pressing and holding the Menu button will take you directly back to the main ATV screen without having to back up all those levels. This should be handy for any music you have as "Now Playing" as this is always displayed along the top row with the cover art.
2. Pressing and holding the centre button in the middle of the D-Pad will send the unit to sleep, no matter which menu you are in.

I too have a Harmony One and you're right - you can't really set-up macro's to increase functionality it just replicates what the original remote does.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom