new atv2 owner jailbreaking woes, any guru's available?

Chuck_Norris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi:)

purchased a new atv which arrived friday, with the intention of jailbreaking to put xbmc on for the bedroom.

basically having used the guides from the seasonpass site for the new untethered 4.4.4 i can get it to go through all the steps until itunes tries to do the restore of the modified ipsw, itunes then throws up this error:-

"Error 18 (or -18): This occurs when the media library on the device is corrupt and cannot be modified or updated. Updating to the latest version of iTunes and then restoring should resolve this issue."

when i click ok, it then seems to continue with the restore anyway, when i then connect to a tv it has the red fc logo on the dash to signify it jb'd, and i can also ssh into it via putty.

problem is it won't let me run any commands to install anything from the terminal. it throws up this error

"E: Type '.deb' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list"

i've literally tried it 10 times using different cables/usb ports, reboots, stock firmware restores and tbh am out of ideas.

does anyone else have any?

many thanks for your time if you've read this far:)

Hi Chuck!

i didn`t use putty to ssh into my appletv2 , i downloaded filezilla and ftp`d into it, putty for me kept throwing up errors. Give it a try:smashin:

cheers

hi jimbo, thanks for the reply mate.

how do you go about installing stuff via ftp? haven't seen that method before.

its been a while since I did it but i did have problems at that stage. I think the solution involved removing the power cable just as itunes was supposed to start up and then reinsert..

hi jimbo, thanks for the reply mate.

how do you go about installing stuff via ftp? haven't seen that method before.

Agree with Jimbo, this is easier. I personally use Winscp but any ftp client should do.

Download the client then just connect to the ATV using it's IP address (this is in the general settings menu of the ATV if you don't know it). Then log in using the un=mobile pw=alpine you can then just drop what you want to add there and finish the install on the ATV.

hi:)
"E: Type '.deb' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list"

It seems that there's a problem with your awkwardtv.list file.

Can you log in to your appletv and run command
Code:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

This should list contents of the file and when you paste it here, wecan see if there are any problems with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom