New Gaming Machine Boot Help

psikey

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
In last week I bought a pre-built gaming machine from ebuyer (usually build my own) which is built on the ASUS Prime X570-P motherboard with 3800X CPU, 3080 GPU and boots from a Seagate Firecuda 4.0 NVMe m.2 drive.

Strange boot issue.

When its first powered on it boots fine.
If I Restart it boots back in fine
If I power off then start some time later it seems to go past BIOS but then never boots Windows and just sits at a blank screen. If I press reset button it starts fine.

I just tried disabling fast boot but didn't make any difference.

When PC is off there are still RGB lights lit on the motherboard itself (maybe its still partly live for say USB charging when off).

Any ideas before I attempt to get any sense out of ebuyer support?

It starts fine from a sleep state. Seems to be just with a Soft Off state (S5) normal power off.

If power totally removed from PC then plugged back in and restarted it starts OK.

I think it’s a Windows issue as ever since I updated windows to the latest 2004 build then I have experienced a similar thing, I personally think it’s something to do with windows user login on boot up as it started happening when I set windows to auto logon at start up.

After I messed around with some settings it pretty much cured the issue but a couple of weeks ago it did it again just once on reboot from a windows update (hitting reset it was fine on 2nd boot) but I can’t remember what settings I actually changed as I think it was some suggestions when searching google ?

I think it’s a Windows issue as ever since I updated windows to the latest 2004 build then I have experienced a similar thing, I personally think it’s something to do with windows user login on boot up as it started happening when I set windows to auto logon at start up.

After I messed around with some settings it pretty much cured the issue but a couple of weeks ago it did it again just once on reboot from a windows update (hitting reset it was fine on 2nd boot) but I can’t remember what settings I actually changed as I think it was some suggestions when searching google ?
Unticking "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" in Windows power settings may have resolved it, but not had to do that with any other machine.

Need to do a few off/on's to check but has worked just now.

Also, should I set RAM to its frequency or just leave at Auto which then shows low in the BIOS? Its 3000 rated.

Unticking "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" in Windows power settings may have resolved it, but not had to do that with any other machine.

Need to do a few off/on's to check but has worked just now.

Also, should I set RAM to its frequency or just leave at Auto which then shows low in the BIOS? Its 3000 rated.

You should be able to select XMP profile in bios to set the ram to correct timing and speed.

Boot problem resolved anyway. Tested 4 times now.

Be glad when LG release the firmware fix for the C9/B9 OLED's with 3080/3090 too as even with G-Sync disable it still blanks on occasion but not in game thankfully.

Also does this weird shit on starting sometimes which you can only fix by unplugging HDMI cable or turning off Deep Colour on LG then on again.

20201022_193322.jpg

20201022_193417.jpg

Last edited:
For the RAM you need to go into the bios and under Ai Tweaker you need to turn on DOCP profile. This is the ASUS AMD equivalent of XMP.
Don't change anything else unless you know what you are doing. Just select the DOCP standard and it will do the rest for you.

For the RAM you need to go into the bios and under Ai Tweaker you need to turn on DOCP profile. This is the ASUS AMD equivalent of XMP.
Don't change anything else unless you know what you are doing. Just select the DOCP standard and it will do the rest for you.

Ah I'm a MSI user so didn't realise Asus called it something different. :smashin:

Leave CPU at Auto which some 3900MHz? If you choose the OC option it sets to 42 and 4200MHz ?

Last edited:
Set it to DOCP and it then shows all details of RAM and sets to 3000 but does pop a warming up that it could cause stability issue with 4.0 ? The 500GB NVME is 4.0. Seems to boot OK.

Set it to DOCP and it then shows all details of RAM and sets to 3000 but does pop a warming up that it could cause stability issue with 4.0 ? The 500GB NVME is 4.0. Seems to boot OK.
Only one way to find out. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom