New generation Freesat STB - Arris

All COM8 transmitters will be 1/2 FEC now. It's essential that all sites in a SFN broadcast the exact same data (and Arqiva only have one source, point to multipoint for that datastream anyway). The big transmitter sites are also remotely accessible via IP networks so probably easy to do, too, including an update to the SI/PSI kit.
Bilsdale is monitored on digitalbitrate and that confirms COM8 there is at 1/2 FEC.

Back ON topic.
From what I've read about this new Arris box range, it is very disappointing and a missed opportunity for an additional tuner or two from Freesat.
4k: It is most unlikely we'll see much broadcast over the airwaves from the UK. But these boxes will be ready for 4k Wimbledon etc.,. from iPlayer (and other sources).

iPTV is seen as the future delivery mechanism for "broadcast" TV.

@Rodders53: thanks for the update about the FEC changes. As for the Arris kit, it seems that most people are holding off doing anything until the PVR comes along, me included. That said, I'll wait for some reviews before I jump in. I'm not in the mood to beta test kit for Freesat.

Clem

So finally the first next generation 4K Freesat Box manufactured by Arris has hit the marketplace retailing at £125 at Amazon. This is the version without the record facility. Looks to be a little bit on the expensive side for a non recording box, but then I have no idea what the old Humax equivalent was when it was first released. It is a 4K version but with very little broadcast output in 4K we are not really going to be able to take full advantage of this feature for some considerable time - years not months!

The recording versions (500GB, 1TB and 2TB versions) are due to be released "soon" so we will have to wait to see what the prices on these boxes will be but it looks likely they will be more expensive than the old Humax boxes. I shall be keeping a close eye on the customer reviews once these boxes hit the streets.

One thing for sure, I will not be purchasing one initially until I am certain that any design bugs (both software and hardware) have been overcome - based on the previous Humax experience!

I would loved to be proved wrong by both Arris and Freesat with my assesment on the situation:)

The built in apps will support 4 K content. iplayer , Netflix and Youtube and Amazon Prime have 4K content. shame it lacks Prime.

Underwhelming. I can see a possible place for the receiver, but if the PVR, with the correct LNB, can handle 4 streams, you have the option to record 3 whilst watching a fourth live, so why bother with the receiver? Actually, it strikes me as a little odd releasing the receiver first, as Manhattan still offer one, cheaper than the Arris.

Clem

The linear TV model is approaching the end of the road. Many people don’t consume it that way any more. IPTV has its place, perhaps, but for many streaming is the norm.

Clem

IPTV is rubbish compared to broadcast TV.

To change channels, first back out of and close the app for the channel you're watching. Then find the app that has the program you want to watch and wait for it to load and start. Once it starts find the program that you want to watch in the sea of rubbish that you don't want to watch. Then wait for the program you want to to load and start.

It's got a long way to go to be better than a satellite PVR.

IPTV is rubbish compared to broadcast TV.

To change channels, first back out of and close the app for the channel you're watching. Then find the app that has the program you want to watch and wait for it to load and start. Once it starts find the program that you want to watch in the sea of rubbish that you don't want to watch. Then wait for the program you want to to load and start.

It's got a long way to go to be better than a satellite PVR.
There is no way that (for example) either of my parents could use an app (or apps) to watch programmes on demand.

So there still is a place for "broadcast" TV, with a set-top box and an EPG, it's just the method of delivery in question. Freeview (with an aerial) and Sky (with a sat dish) increasingly seem like relics of the old world, when we have fast and reliable IP networking. I'm not a massive networking buff but isn't this what multicast is for?

I'm also with Monster900. It's crap. WTF are those damn great big tiles all about? Are they designed for non readers?
Change fro BBC1 (Button 1) to ITV (Button 3), job done. Try that in catchup. No chance Mrs. TJT1 can handle catchup eithr. Daily Mail Weekend mag and the 0-9 control does her.

Ah, let's have 8 pretty pics on the screen instead of 3 hours of cover on 15 channels. :rotfl: But I suppose that you do need to be able to read to interpret them into something meaningful:facepalm:

Does anyone have any idea where the new boxes are manufactured / assembled?
Could the delay in the recordable boxes be down to where they’re manufactured, Far East.?

Does anyone have any idea where the new boxes are manufactured / assembled?
Could the delay in the recordable boxes be down to where they’re manufactured, Far East.?

I suspect it's down to a shortage of laptop form factor drives in the larger capacities, The box is clearly not large enough to accommodate standard 3.5" sata drives designed for AV use.

With the corona virus in circulation now I think that that they’ll be serious shortages of lots of stuff soon, certainly stuff made in China, which of course includes electronics...

Clem

For those wanting to know the prices of the new boxes, I found this:

"Here’s full pricing for the new devices

• Freesat 4K TV Box £124.99

• Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 500GB, £199.99

• Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 1TB, £229.99

• Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 2TB, £269.99"

The prices seem fair to me, especially the 1tb and 2tb boxes.
If a customer was paying Sky £27/month, even the most expensive box would be paid for in less than 10 months.

I guess it will depend on what features come with the recordable boxes, and how well they work. If it gives a Sky Q box experience it is probably worth it. Features like 4k, Bluetooth accessories, compatible with both LNB types, multi channel recording, sending video to "Satellite boxes" else where in the home, quick and quality processing? I'm not sure if we know the full feature list yet? Personally I'd like to see a way to export the recording to other devices (but that's not likely to ever be a feature lol)

But it's not the box though, is it? It's the available content. The box might be chock full of whizzy features, but Freesat is stuffed with low-rent SD channels. Until we see (and I doubt that we ever will) the HD versions of a lot of the channels that are available on Freesat any such comparison is pretty pointless.

Clem

But it's not the box though, is it? It's the available content. The box might be chock full of whizzy features, but Freesat is stuffed with low-rent SD channels. Until we see (and I doubt that we ever will) the HD versions of a lot of the channels that are available on Freesat any such comparison is pretty pointless.

Clem
Fair point about the extra content on Sky, more channels, more HD and even 4k UHD is available.
That said, I think they is a share of people who are on Sky, simply because they like the EPG and intuitiveness. Some people don't like the thought of being tied to a contract, or their TV not working should they no longer be able to afford it. For these people FreeSat is a good option.

I wasn't trying to suggest Sky is poor value, it think it's pretty reasonable. I was trying to say the cost of the FreeSat boxes seems fair, but we should all hold judgemental until we've actually used the box. If the box is simply to use, fast and displays an excellent picture it could be very good value. Let's wait and see the reviews.

Now a 4k capable box is available, they is a bigger incentive to produce 4k content for FreeSat. Fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath lol

Fair point about the extra content on Sky, more channels, more HD and even 4k UHD is available.
That said, I think they is a share of people who are on Sky, simply because they like the EPG and intuitiveness. Some people don't like the thought of being tied to a contract, or their TV not working should they no longer be able to afford it. For these people FreeSat is a good option.

I wasn't trying to suggest Sky is poor value, it think it's pretty reasonable. I was trying to say the cost of the FreeSat boxes seems fair, but we should all hold judgemental until we've actually used the box. If the box is simply to use, fast and displays an excellent picture it could be very good value. Let's wait and see the reviews.

Now a 4k capable box is available, they is a bigger incentive to produce 4k content for FreeSat. Fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath lol

There is 4K content available for free. Some of it even HDR. None of it broadcast though. iplayer had the excellent blue planet 2 in HDR, Available till the 4K UHD HDR Disk was released,

The 4K streaming content you get on a the new box has been available for a long time using devices like the 4K firestick ( mine cost £25,00). Sure it can upscale sub 2160p to to 2160P, but so can every 4K TV and every 4K capable AVR,

Recording wise it offers no more than the existing Humax G2 boxes as it only has two tuners, And these boxes also create 2160p upscaled pictures when connected to a 4K TV.

A tad baffled why did they not add the capability to add more than two tuners that the compatibility with the cheap Sky-Q wideband LNB gives. ? A massive mistake. My G2 humax box plus a £25:00 pound add on already offers more.

As the source broadcasts is the same why would the box offer a superior picture. ? The existing Humax boxes offer a excellent 1080p50 picture from the 1080i source that is the best you get on satellite. Hard to imagine the new box will improve on this. Anyone with a good quality 4K TV will be able to view this re-scaled to 2160P anyway,

Too expensive. 20% off those prices would see a more appealing price range for the mass market.
Yarp, too expensive for me.

Esp as they seem to be asking £75 for a 500GB disk, £105 for a 1TB, and £145 for 2TB.

Those are SSD prices, and I'm betting these will not feature SSDs, but loud mechanical units (as always).

There is 4K content available for free. Some of it even HDR. None of it broadcast though. iplayer had the excellent blue planet 2 in HDR, Available till the 4K UHD HDR Disk was released,

The 4K streaming content you get on a the new box has been available for a long time using devices like the 4K firestick ( mine cost £25,00). Sure it can upscale sub 2160p to to 2160P, but so can every 4K TV and every 4K capable AVR,

Recording wise it offers no more than the existing Humax G2 boxes as it only has two tuners, And these boxes also create 2160p upscaled pictures when connected to a 4K TV.

A tad baffled why did they not add the capability to add more than two tuners that the compatibility with the cheap Sky-Q wideband LNB gives. ? A massive mistake. My G2 humax box plus a £25:00 pound add on already offers more.

As the source broadcasts is the same why would the box offer a superior picture. ? The existing Humax boxes offer a excellent 1080p50 picture from the 1080i source that is the best you get on satellite. Hard to imagine the new box will improve on this. Anyone with a good quality 4K TV will be able to view this re-scaled to 2160P anyway,

I know about the 4k on-demand connect. My smart TV has a 4k tuner. I watched Dracula in UHD on BBC iPlayer in January.
I was talking about content transmitted via satellite. Currently the UHD test channel on 998 is the only 4k channel I can get via FreeSat.

Newer processors tend to display the picture better (I'm not sure what the science is here, and understand that "better" is subjective). My smart TV displays FreeSat better than my Humax 1100s (IMHO), which is why I gave the Humax to my mother. Apparently the newer Humax boxes displayed a better picture than the old FoxSat boxes, but I've not compared them myself. I thought this was due to the processor, but could be other factors like the HDMI port.

The Humax might display an excellent picture, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

I never new about channel 998 , what a great picture quality, I agree about the prices, £149 would of been a great price for the 500gb box, £179 would of been a more fair price I suppose. , I’ll wait for Black Friday to roll around.

A reviewer on Amazon has claimed this new box to be an "utterly amazing" picture on his oled TV compared to the Humax 1100s...

Screenshot_2020-02-24-23-27-08-1.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom