New GPU: Recommendations?

At the moment, mostly cities skylines and planet coaster.

These are the two that take the biggest frame rate hit after even modest sized cities/parks are created.

Maybe it's not down the the card capabilities, but rather the age of the card and how much it's been used through the years. Also worth noting that when doing any gaming, there's an annoying intermittent rattling that seems to be coming from the GPU, which I think is one of the fan bearings.
fan issue like that will give you a big hit on performance as card will down-clock to safe mode due to heat, worth taking out and looking at as cooler might be even blocked and change like for like fans, 980ti still a good card as them game engines are not that well optimised..

Last edited:
fan issue like that will give you a big hit on performance as card will down-clock to safe mode due to heat, worth taking out and looking at as cooler might be even blocked and change like for like fans, 980ti still a good card as them game engines are not that well optimised..

Already did it. I took it completely apart a while ago when the fans started sounding like a rocket taking off.

I cleaned the old bad thermal paste off with IPA and completely cleaned out the fans and the cooling block/fins before reapplying new thermal paste and reassembling.

The rocket firing up sound was gone, but the intermittent rattle was still there..

One of what? I'm just seeing an Amazon "a"
Ad blockers dont get to see the links like that, which is daft because that means less people clicking on them to bring in any money lol.

From my own experience, If the ads weren't so intrusive, and negatively affected my viewing of the forums to begin with, I wouldn't block them.

It's been a while now since I allowed them, but my recollection is that they messed the styling of the forums up, slowed down thread loading times considerably and just generally didn't make me want to spend any more time on the forums than I actually had to.

just disabled ad blocker to see if it was as intrusive as I remembered. Disappointed to see that it is.

From my own experience, If the ads weren't so intrusive, and negatively affected my viewing of the forums to begin with, I wouldn't block them.

It's been a while now since I allowed them, but my recollection is that they messed the styling of the forums up, slowed down thread loading times considerably and just generally didn't make me want to spend any more time on the forums than I actually had to.

just disabled ad blocker to see if it was as intrusive as I remembered. Disappointed to see that it is.
Its not going to change any time soon. Its a business first and they need to make money which i totally understand.

I can personally live with the restrictions they impose on ad-blockers. I used to move from blocking to not blocking a lot and used the classifieds now and then. Now I just buy and sell elsewhere.

I swapped my 1080ti for a used 2080Ti in April as I sold mine for £350 and got a RTX 2080Ti MSI Trio Gamer X for only £750 (£1250RRP) so only a £400 upgrade so I thought it was worth it.

Should get back what I paid for it nearly when 3080 out.

One of what? I'm just seeing an Amazon "a"
Screenshot_20200708-215116_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Already did it. I took it completely apart a while ago when the fans started sounding like a rocket taking off.

I cleaned the old bad thermal paste off with IPA and completely cleaned out the fans and the cooling block/fins before reapplying new thermal paste and reassembling.

The rocket firing up sound was gone, but the intermittent rattle was still there..
bearings on fans cant be fixed, may of been oil on blades even near the motor..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom