New House + Understanding Girlfriend = My first dedicated home cinema haven

Hi, really liked the installed you showed on the site. I'm replacing my Ket Reference Model 2's in Rosewood (matching yours), let me know if you would be interested in them - perhaps for the rears??

Thanks

Looks great. Did you make the Accoustic panels yourself?

I think ill be making some at that price!
They’re reasonably priced compared to some. To make them I would have needed two things: 1. Skill, and 2. Arsed ;)

Room looks really good. Great sub response before eq.

Gosh, I do like it

I take it the two grey panels on the side of the room are what’s mentioned above as acoustic panels or are the actually side speakers.

Do you mind me asking how far away from the rear wall is the sofa. I ask so as to gain in understanding of minimum distance from the wall (the one where the rear speakers are fixed) that a sofa needs to be

Thank you

Gosh, I do like it

I take it the two grey panels on the side of the room are what’s mentioned above as acoustic panels or are the actually side speakers.

Do you mind me asking how far away from the rear wall is the sofa. I ask so as to gain in understanding of minimum distance from the wall (the one where the rear speakers are fixed) that a sofa needs to be

Thank you
Yes, the grey panels are the absorbers!

The sofa is about 18-24 inches from the rear wall. This is much more ideal than having it right against the wall.

Hi again, I do like looking at this as the room looks so well finished.

May I ask, is your screen what is termed 16.9?

If it is, would I be right that a 2.4 (Cinemscope - I think) are not that good for things like you main sources except the blu ray player.

Thanks again

Yes it's a 16:9 screen. I'm not aware of any other aspect ratios being common in home cinemas!

Thought I'd bump my thread with a little update!

I decided the centre speaker being on regular 60cm speaker stands was a little too low. It's funny the changes you want to make after living with something for a year!

So I bought some brackets and wall mounted it at a more even height. Dialogue is slightly crisper now it's at ear height, and it just looks a bit neater.

TZxE934.jpg

Still my favourite room in the house and everything I watch feels like an occasion :)

I've been contemplating adding some front height speakers to move to 5.1.4 for a while now. My friend recently told me that he had some Kef Eggs spare that he bought from eBay but they were damaged in transit, and he ended up getting a refund. So I made him an offer and got them for basically nothing.

My intention was to strip them down, sort out the scratches and dented grilles, paint them satin black, and then mount them in the front corners.

So that's what I did.

s257VBl.jpg

TVuylox.jpg

Zc4tS2Q.jpg

32X7qCg.jpg

wPb8l3a.jpg

And here they are in their new home:

kERpL4M.jpg

The finish isn't 100% factory quality but as I'm sure you'll agree, they look pretty damn good for their purpose.

As for the sound... Well, to me, the upgrade from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 feels almost as good as going from 5.1 to 5.1.2. The additional coverage of height and ability to more accurately move things around the sound field is superb. Overhead effects are a lot more immersive. The whole thing sounds absolutely belting!

Technically my rear Atmos ceiling speakers are now located in the wrong position, but it's such a small room I don't think it really makes any difference.

Last edited:
Back in May, I also took the entire system apart with the intent of rearranging the cabinet, sorting the wires out, mounting sockets/devices/accessories to the wall, and generally being more efficient. After a couple of years of use, following a rather hasty connection of equipment, it was worthwhile. It meant the above additional speaker installation was easy and I could simply slide out the cabinet, plug the new speakers in, and slide it back.

PZ0pg2w.jpg

861xkGP.jpg

DxsCYdn.jpg

Sz5qtmf.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic room and and an amazing use of the space.

I haven't made many changes to my system since the last update - I've mostly been using and enjoying it!

That said, I have had a bit of a shuffle round of the stereo section of my system, adding some retro sources (a cassette player and a minidisc player), and the Meridian power amp has been replaced by a Rotel RB1582 mk2.

I have also found a nice pair of Kef R100 speakers to serve as an upgrade for the Q100 rear speakers. They have made a really positive difference and upped the detail, and brought the sound signature inline with my front three speakers!

Some updated photos:

PhF2ZiW.jpg

GpkYDnr.jpg

1Klj8cv.jpg

0SVjXL5.jpg

Jealous, not of your setup, just the understanding girlfriend 🤣

One of the best small rooms on AVF.

Love the big Kefs - but are they possibly a bit big for the room?

GREAT set up though, love the room treatment too 👍

One of the best small rooms on AVF.

Love the big Kefs - but are they possibly a bit big for the room?

GREAT set up though, love the room treatment too 👍

Thank you! :)

They're completely ridiculously overkill for the room but I've had them for a long time and I would have to spend a fortune to better them so it makes sense to keep them :)

Yeah I bet. As long as the amp driving them has current they’ll be fine aand the Rotel deffo has the juice!

I haven't made many changes to my system since the last update - I've mostly been using and enjoying it!

That said, I have had a bit of a shuffle round of the stereo section of my system, adding some retro sources (a cassette player and a minidisc player), and the Meridian power amp has been replaced by a Rotel RB1582 mk2.

I have also found a nice pair of Kef R100 speakers to serve as an upgrade for the Q100 rear speakers. They have made a really positive difference and upped the detail, and brought the sound signature inline with my front three speakers!

Some updated photos:

PhF2ZiW.jpg

GpkYDnr.jpg

1Klj8cv.jpg

0SVjXL5.jpg
hi, thanks for sharing, i like your setup very much, i am trying to make something similar, i have bought a yamaha rx-a2080

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom