Question New LG software version 4.71.04, anyone?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My LG TV is now nagging me about the above software update. According to the change log the only update is support for Nvidia devices, not something that I need. There could be other fixes, of course, but I'm loathe to update unless there's a real need, as there's always scope for the TV to be bricked, or worse, breaking something which is working now.

Clem

Well to be fair bricking the TV is probably worse ....but I agree about leaving it. Anything important would have (hopefully) been mentioned in the changelog as you say. Just hope one of the other members of the family don't click YES now think later when i'm not there.

That's the trouble. Every time the TV is woken-up, the message pops-up and defaults to 'Yes'. This link -- Apple TV+ on LG Smart TVs , see post #35, mentions release 04.71.05, which if correct, includes support for AppleTV, which I would be interested in. I've sent a message to LG to see what they say. If the .04 update only includes Nvidia support then I'm not interested.

Clem

I only updated the previous version after literally being nagged for months, I got sick of seeing that reminder. I immediately then had to update several apps before I could use them so I wasn't too impressed.

Yes, that's what I wanted to avoid. I'm hanging-on until I get some sort of response from LG. If the posts in the thread are correct, then I can't see the point of applying the .4 update if .5 is going to follow-on. However, it could well be that the .4 update does include the ATV+ app. Thenumbers are very similar.

Clem

When theres a newer version pending they normally remove the older. If its being offered OTA then I dont normally hold back, either through fear of 'bricking' where's the evidence of that happening? or not needing the features as rarely do bug fixes affect more than a percentage of people. The version numbers look like 2019 model updates. It will likely include a firmware part of the ATV support not the app itself.

@jwsg: That's what I'm waiting on LG to confirm. If you look at my earlier post there was a report of a .5 software update. It seems a bit too coincidental. As a precaution I also have the new firmware downloaded so that I can do a firmware update via USB, if needed. I suspect that it's the update that does contain the ATV+ update too, but it won't hurt to hold off for a couple of days. Moreover, I've just introduced a new PVR into my system and am having a few teething issues so I don't want to be troubleshooting too many problems at once.

When/if I get a response from LG I'll post it here.

Clem

Mine updated itself yesterday, nothing adverse shown up yet...

I’m hoping the Apple app comes through on this one! Trying to hold off buying an Apple TV!

I did the update this afternoon, around lunch time. As of 530ish, it'll no longer turn on. We'll, it'll turn on but about 5 second later it turns off.
I'm puzzled for a possible fix. Also, for the seconds it's on the screen has developed a thin black line.

There’s always USB. Works well enough, based on my experience.

Clem
This whole thread is missing one vital bit of information - what model you're talking about. The versions are different per SOC per model year.

In fact it's best to stick to individual owners threads. Also I always wait until there is a OTA pref. with release notes published - installing versions off USB I do not recommend.

Indeed. I suspect that the image file name is the same for all models. I always check the release notes for my LG TV model number and I grab a copy on USB stick. However, in this case my TV is whining about doing the update and I'll have to give in at some point I suppose. The release notes list compatibility for the following TV models:

55SM9800PLA 
65SM9800PLA 
55SM98007LA 
65SM98007LA 
49SM9000PLA 
75SM9000PLA 
86SM9000PLA 
55SM9010PLA 
65SM9010PLA 
55SM90107LA 
65SM90107LA 
49SM90007LA 
75SM8610PLA 
49SM8600PLA 
55SM8600PLA 
65SM8600PLA 
49SM86007LA 
55SM86007LA 
82UM7600PLB 
65SM86007LA 
49SM8500PLA 
55SM8500PLA 
65SM8500PLA 
86UM7600PLB 
82UM7650PLA 
OLED55B9PLA 
OLED65B9PLA 
OLED55B97LA 
OLED65B97LA 

What I find annoying is that I've already told the TV that I don't want to do the update at present, so it shouldn't keep nagging me every time that I wake the TV up from standby. Moreover, there's no way to recover from a failed update, which is also inexcusable.

Clem

I had a reply from LG just now. Not that helpful, but from what I get from the reply is that the .4 update does NOT include AppleTV+ support/app. How annoying. Apparently, it's still being developed, with no ETA available.

Clem

As I mentioned version numbers tend to apply to SOC and model year
So 4.71.04 was for a bunch of 2019 including the B9 OLED
4.71.05 was for the other 2019 OLED like the C9
As you mentioned in the O/P the only change in the release notes was gsync

AV release notes dont often include all the changes, but to keep things simple I just keep up with whatever's offered by OTA

I take the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and at present, my TV is fine, so I'd much rather not apply the update, especially, as for me, it offers me nothing new, only the stress of hoping that the update is applied OK, and doesn't kill the TV, or I have power cut in the middle of it. However, given that there's no way to suppress the nag message I'll have to give in soon. That, or I'll miss the option to decline. Gah.

Clem

Firmware updates are part of owning all devices, although TVs are often the most expensive but a policy of not taking updates is not really warranted. Most of us want more updates from manufacturers. There is likely to be other fixes going in not appearing in the release notes. I've seen issues raised on forums being fixed by an update more often then genuine reports of bricking. One way of putting your mind at rest might be to research the way that the programmers handle f/w updates, in terms of downloading, verification, programming, verification.

Having spent 36 years in the IT industry (before I got made redundant) instills a different viewpoint. Firmware updates were greeted with concern, simply because they could not only brick large servers, but could (and sometimes did) introduce more problems than they claimed to fix. Most modern servers from the likes of HP & Dell have the option to revert to an earlier firmware release should the need arise, but that facility is not present on consumer devices, although in real terms it's only pennies to introduce. As such, the policy was such that updates were only applied if the need was justified. I think that the same applies, perhaps to a lesser degree, to domestic products, but the updates are a one-way journey. I would feel more comfortable about doing updates if (in IT terms), there was a primitive recovery interface available that would allow recovery in the event of an update failure. It won't happen, of course, so I know that I'll have to bite the update bullet soon ...

Clem

Personally.... When it comes to updating my devices, I prefer to download the firmware/software over the internet and place it on a USB pen-drive. And upgrade manually.

Same here.I shall probably do the update tomorrow. I keep a few 1GB USB sticks fir just such a purpose.

Clem

It’s getting hard to not buy an Apple TV, wish this app would hurry up.

Typical Apple nimbyism... Despite us all living in a 'app' based driven world, they force people into buying one of their hardware products! Disney+ 'app' anyone?

Agree. I've got a free year's sub. that I would like to use, but don't really want to buy an ATV box if the app. for LG hardware is near. I don't know how long the free offer is good for though. I don't want to start poking around and inadvertently activate it.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom