New Lib Dem Leader

She thought her opinion was worth more than 17 million Brexit votes.
Got what she deserved.
Swinson was defeated by other remainers.

Thread needs new title :devil:

We received some more "literature" today urging us to vote Lib Dem... Bit too late :) Having said that Layla Moran increased her majority from 816 to 8943 which was impressive.
Oh bugger, Layla is still around? At least she should be quiet and not be on the TV much.

I think that the thread title needs to be changed now :clap:.

Oh bugger, Layla is still around? At least she should be quiet and not be on the TV much.

I hate to worry you:

The Liberal Democrats have held the previously-marginal seat of Oxford West and Abingdon with an increased majority.

Layla Moran, who won the seat from the Tories in 2017 by just 816 votes, has increased her majority to 8,943.

On a night that saw her party leader Jo Swinson lose her seat, Ms Moran did not rule herself out of the running for a leadership bid.

Asked whether she would stand, she said "we will have to wait and see".

My bold ;)

I hate to worry you:

The Liberal Democrats have held the previously-marginal seat of Oxford West and Abingdon with an increased majority.

Layla Moran, who won the seat from the Tories in 2017 by just 816 votes, has increased her majority to 8,943.

On a night that saw her party leader Jo Swinson lose her seat, Ms Moran did not rule herself out of the running for a leadership bid.

Asked whether she would stand, she said "we will have to wait and see".

My bold ;)
:facepalm:

I'm suprised remoaners not asking for another election.

After a buoyant autumn conference at which party insiders cited 80 seats as a likely minimum benchmark for an election, Swinson led the Lib Dems to their second-worst performance in the party’s 31-year modern history, better only than the slump from 57 to eight seats in 2015.

80?

Lose at the ballot box, get a place in the House of Lords.

Acting Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said he wanted her “back in Parliament as soon as possible” - and the party has the power to make it so if they nominate her in the Dissolution Honours

Acting Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said he wanted her “back in Parliament as soon as possible” - and the party has the power to make it so if they nominate her in the Dissolution Honours

It seems to be a ridiculous theme;

Zac Goldsmith in line to keep ministerial job with a peerage following his election defeat

As soon as possible- 5 years I would have thought. This route is a joke. The Lords has a disproportionate number of Lib Dem’s already.

can she be refused?

Neil Kinnock rejected twice by the electorate, made millions from Europe now in the House of Lords. And after criticising it for years.

At least he had led his Party for 9 years before that. This was also 14 years ago so not sure of the direct relevance, apart from pulling out a Labour politician in the face of criticism of politicians from both LibDem and Conservatives this week?

At least he had led his Party for 9 years before that. This was also 14 years ago so not sure of the direct relevance, apart from pulling out a Labour politician in the face of criticism of politicians from both LibDem and Conservatives this week?
Triggered quick? I have a problem with failed MPs automatically going to the the House of Lords, Kinnock stands out for me as someone who has well rode the gravy train. There are plenty of others.

I think it's bloody ridiculous having any ex-MPs/failed parliamentary candidates under 60 in the HoL, be it Swinson, Goldsmith, Warsi et al. Of course I also think the HoL is bloody ridiculous.

I expect Nicky Morgan will be elevated and possibly back in the cabinet, as she continued to be a Johnson surrogate and the (caretaker) Culture Sec during the election campaign, which was rather odd for someone who wasn't standing again.

Only she can refuse, and she may do so, especially if she wants to return to the HoC again having lost her seat again
Well that’s utter BS. Surely the government or someone has a veto for BS nominations?!

Well that’s utter BS. Surely the government or someone has a veto for BS nominations?!

What about nominations they make themselves :0)

Nope, parties are allowed to submit their set number of nominations for dissolution honours, and they're not usually refused. You can't just decline the nomination because you don't like her or her party. It's not a BS nomination, dissolution honours are a thing and have been for as long as I've known.

The system is BS.

Resignation honours are the worst.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom