New Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 Streaming amp

Good evening.

I wonder if anyone could clarify something for me?

I am looking for an integrated amp that has HT bypass which the TDAI 1120 has. If I use the pre-out to connect to my Denon AVR - x6400h to utilise this feature am I then not able to connect a pair of subs?

I have read through the 25 pages of this thread twice today and seem to now be confusing myself.

I demoed a 2170 and 3400 at the weekend (thanks @Rob Sinden) and loved the sound with my speakers but the 2170 is a non-starter as it does not have a built in streamer.

I loved the 3400 but with the added analog board it is difficult (but not impossible) to justify to myself when the 1120 with a good MM phono stage is less than half the price but still has RoomPerfect and should have ample power for my current set up.

I currently have a REL Strata 5 in a 5.1 system but I listen to music in direct mode on the AVR so the REL is only active when watching movies.

Might look to upgrade to a pair of boundary subs if I go with the 1120.

Thanks

That leads to the idea that Lyngdorf should make an installers version - no volume knob, no input selector, simple led string set to show inputs and a low cost case. Add a remote that only needs to have a power button, volume and mute control and input selector then you would have a significantly cheaper unit with all of the same functions. Concentrate on getting the web interface a bit slicker and it would be good to go.

Don't expect it to be "significantly cheaper" - the majority of what you pay for in a product like this is not the components themselves, but the development work etc.

Making such a special product that you suggest will only mean more development costs, which have to be covered by the relatively low sale. Also add the cost of having more different products in line, more production costs because of variations etc.

Although I am happy with the way my speakers (Linn Kan IIs) perform with the 1120 the more I listen the more I think I may be missing out. Of the people just using stereo speakers what are people using and what are their thoughts? I am thinking stand mounters at £1k or ideally less. I am tempted to give the KEF LS50 Metas a go? One review suggested Audiovector R3 Arretés were a good match so I Googled them to find they were floor standers, and that was the problem and definitely not the nearly £9k price tag!!

Have you considered these?

lyngdorfs notion is that as close to the wall as possible is a good thing.

Plenty of finish options too.

Don't expect it to be "significantly cheaper" - the majority of what you pay for in a product like this is not the components themselves, but the development work etc.

Making such a special product that you suggest will only mean more development costs, which have to be covered by the relatively low sale. Also add the cost of having more different products in line, more production costs because of variations etc.
The development of the internals has already happened, the cost of a 'smart' case can be up to 80% of the BOM for construction.

The development of the internals has already happened, the cost of a 'smart' case can be up to 80% of the BOM for construction.
I agree that the development of the internals has happened but presumably not recovered so early in the product life cycle. I am sure we would all like to buy products that had no R&D costs but assuming we are not buying dodgy copies it ain't going to happen. This is not meant to sound snotty it is just reality as I see it 😊

Good evening.

I am looking for an integrated amp that has HT bypass which the TDAI 1120 has. If I use the pre-out to connect to my Denon AVR - x6400h to utilise this feature am I then not able to connect a pair of subs?

I have read through the 25 pages of this thread twice today and seem to now be confusing myself.

I demoed a 2170 and 3400 at the weekend (thanks @Rob Sinden) and loved the sound with my speakers but the 2170 is a non-starter as it does not have a built in streamer.

I loved the 3400 but with the added analog board it is difficult (but not impossible) to justify to myself when the 1120 with a good MM phono stage is less than half the price but still has RoomPerfect and should have ample power for my current set up.

I currently have a REL Strata 5 in a 5.1 system but I listen to music in direct mode on the AVR so the REL is only active when watching movies.

Thanks

Your X6400 has both pre outs and sub outs, so you should be able to connect a stereo amp such as the 1120 and sub/s at the same time.

Your X6400 has both pre outs and sub outs, so you should be able to connect a stereo amp such as the 1120 and sub/s at the same time.

@hunt808 - Thanks but I would want the Lyngdorf to manage the subs with RoomPerfect so the 6400 having sub outs is not the answer to my potential problem.

I am tempted to give the KEF LS50 Metas a go?
That sounds like a very good idea, and definitely worth a demo. If it was me, I'd be looking at the LS50 Meta paired with a sub to match your room size.
At least I can definitely confirm that the original LS50s sound superb with the Lyngdorf (unless you're a fanatic LS50 hater, of course ;), the speaker's character doesn't change). I haven't even tried them close against the front wall, yet. Even in the preferred position pre-RoomPerfect I was very pleased with the difference RP makes. Immediately noticeable (at least in my room) is more bass extension. But really everything else benefits from not being covered by room mode boominess.

Order for a BK XLS200-FF has been placed. Good for BK, bad for me: They are currently pretty busy and the lead time will be something between two and three weeks.

One thing has struck me about my 1120 since I have had it and that is because I access almost everything through the web interface it could just as easily be mounted in a cupboard, out of the way with a IR repeater for the odd times I use the remote. That leads to the idea that Lyngdorf should make an installers version - no volume knob, no input selector, simple led string set to show inputs and a low cost case. Add a remote that only needs to have a power button, volume and mute control and input selector then you would have a significantly cheaper unit with all of the same functions. Concentrate on getting the web interface a bit slicker and it would be good to go.

Since I have had it I have not 'interfaced with the amp directly - using the controls on the fascia - once.
I'm still not convinced this option would create additional revenue for Lyngdorf. Savings made on the case could well be eaten up by more complex stock-keeping and logistics, for parts and finished units. Just speaking for myself I am actually surprised how often I use the fascia controls, not just for switching on and off. Since I'm still spinning records, the mute button comes in very handy there and I even sometimes do volume adjustments. Ironically, one of my main reasons to even consider replacing my trustworthy Quad 34/Quad 606 combo was the lack of remote volume control. Now that I've done it I must admit that even the phono input is better on the 1120 ... :)

@hunt808 - Thanks but I would want the Lyngdorf to manage the subs with RoomPerfect so the 6400 having sub outs is not the answer to my potential problem.
You could connect the REL up to the Lyngdorf by high level via the high level neutrik connection. Perhaps those owners count confirm this is possible for RP.
REL-Neutrik.jpg

You could connect the REL up to the Lyngdorf by high level via the high level neutrik connection. Perhaps those owners count confirm this is possible for RP.
View attachment 1390385
From the Lyngdorf manual

Connecting a subwoofer

Warning: Do not connect the TDAI-2170 to a subwoofer with speaker terminal inputs if they are grounded. Bridging the +/+ and -/- speaker output terminals will, because of the way a fully digital amplifier works, result in overloading the amplifier.

and

Warning!: Do not connect the TDAI-1120 to a subwoofer with High Level / speaker terminal inputs, as
this will seriously damage the amplifier.

From the Lyngdorf manual

Connecting a subwoofer

Warning: Do not connect the TDAI-2170 to a subwoofer with speaker terminal inputs if they are grounded. Bridging the +/+ and -/- speaker output terminals will, because of the way a fully digital amplifier works, result in overloading the amplifier.

and

Warning!: Do not connect the TDAI-1120 to a subwoofer with High Level / speaker terminal inputs, as
Exactly why I asked an owner to confirm.:smashin:

From the Lyngdorf manual

Connecting a subwoofer

and

I don't think that would work very well anyway, because the 1120 wouldn't be able to properly control the sub's output. You would have to rely on the sub's own cross over and other controls, defeating a lot of the point of room correction.

I don't think that would work very well anyway, because the 1120 wouldn't be able to properly control the sub's output. You would have to rely on the sub's own cross over and other controls, defeating a lot of the point of room correction.
Wouldn't work very well beyond destroying your amp? :eek:

IMG_20201028_140812519.jpg

Via a Logitech Harmony 350 and all the Lyngdorf items they list managed to get this to do:
Power on/off
Vol +/-
Mute
Source +/-
OK
I am pretty sure they were all on the 2170 apart from the power which was on the 3400.
This may not be as pretty as the Harmony but doesn't have 2 dozen useless buttons and I can now do vTuner and external sources without my phone. Pause would be nice if anyone has any ideas 🙂

I am sure I read on another thread that what I am asking is possible. Hopefully and owner will post up if they are incorporating a 1120 in a home cinema 5.1 system. Thanks for the input.

I am sure I read on another thread that what I am asking is possible. Hopefully and owner will post up if they are incorporating a 1120 in a home cinema 5.1 system. Thanks for the input.

I use a 3400, not the 1120, but the principles are the same. I connect my FL & FR speakers to the 3400 Speaker Outputs and my sub to the Analog Output on the 3400. The 3400 and RP then takes care of the the integration between my main speakers and sub for all my stereo use. The Analog Outputs from my Arcam AVR are connected to the Analog Inputs of the 3400. Speakers are set to Large with Sub set None in my AVR menu. Although my Arcam supports Dirac room correction, I don't use it as I greatly prefer RP and don't want to mix two different room correction software.

It works extremely well for me.

Good evening.

Thanks
It looks as if you are on the same journey as me but a day or 2 behind.
I have purchased a TDAI 1120 which came on Tuesday & is in its box in the spare room waiting to be powered set-up etc.
I intend to use it as a high quality stereo + sub amp for music (streamed from a Node 2i & cd etc via a CA CXUHD silver disc spinner) thro 2 new
Dali Rubicon 2s & REL Strata sub.
Crucially I intend to integrate the Lyngdorf into my home cinema set-up by connecting the L/R pre-outs on the AVR (CA CXR200) to it in HT bypass mode, the sub will be connected to the Lyngdorf , to get sufficient bass I expect to remove the sub from the AVR set-up menu & make sure the front L/R speakers are set to large, & let the room perfect do its thing. I am pretty confident this will work ok.
Unfortunately I wont be playing until this time next week to try it as we are having the whole flat re-carpeted in a few days & are having to prepare for that.
So to answer your question yes you should be able to connect your sub or new pair of subs to the TDAI 1120 & use it with the Denon for 5.1 duties etc being careful with the AVR speaker settings etc.

I intend to use it as a high quality stereo + sub amp for music (streamed from a Node 2i & cd etc via a CA CXUHD silver disc spinner) thro 2 new

Out of curiosity...why are you using an external streamer with the 1120? Is it to facilitate Tidal streaming without having to use Roon?

@Paul7777x have you sorted out the issue with the volume changes?
What was the dealer saying about it?

Indeed. it had nothing to do with the Lyngdorf.

The evil culprit was my iphone.

A complete erasure of ‘all content and settings’ has sorted out the airplay perfectly.

Not only that but erasing the phone and starting from scratch has fixed a few WiFi issues I was having with the ancient thing.

Hate Apple now.

Indeed. it had nothing to do with the Lyngdorf.

The evil culprit was my iphone.

A complete erasure of ‘all content and settings’ has sorted out the airplay perfectly.

Not only that but erasing the phone and starting from scratch has fixed a few WiFi issues I was having with the ancient thing.

Hate Apple now.

So what do you think of RP now then Paul? Happy with how it's all sounding?

So what do you think of RP now then Paul? Happy with how it's all sounding?

The jury is still out on that Steve. It has some superb properties, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to get used to what it does to the low bass.

Anything above around 90hz is simply superb, I’ve not heard anything like it.

The jury is still out on that Steve. It has some superb properties, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to get used to what it does to the low bass.

Anything above around 90hz is simply superb, I’ve not heard anything like it.

Strange. I'm guessing you mean you don't think there is enough low bass.

Forgive me for this, but can you remind me what speakers you have and also do you have a sub or subs?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom