New Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 Streaming amp

For those of us looking to pair a set of active speakers (the ELAC Navis’) with this amp, how much would we be losing out on by not being able to add (or, at least easily add) a sub/pair of subs?
The Navis play down to 44hz and have a good bass output.

The Lyngdorf app is extremely stable.
If it is dropping out it is a Wi Fi issue.
We use the app daily without issues.
No way, Sir.

Check out Google Play Store ratings for the Lyngdorf Remote app. It has an average raging of 2,7 stars because it's flaky and shaky and won't connect all the time. Can't see any issue with my WiFi setup (I do know a bit about this stuff). It is perfectly good for all other apps on all other devices. This explicitly includes remote apps e.g. for Onkyo and Yamaha devices, both official and 3rd party. They all work flawlessly.

Can't speak for the iOS or iPadOS version of the app.

The built-in device web page is a totally different object. It works extremely fast and reliably. It also features perfect responsive design, so using it on a phone is just as pleasing as on a tablet, laptop or big screen PC.

... most importantly volume.
Amen.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. But I read a test regarding the TDAI 3400. The review said you basically could place your speakers in no zone areas that audiophiles don’t do. Yes, I have my speakers 40 cm from the back wall, if not the bass gets muddy. I read the review in a Norwegian sound/picture magazine about the TDAI 3400.
My (limited) understanding is that room modes will give bass reinforcement (peaks) & cancellations (nulls). DSP can realistically only cancel peaks & not nulls because the null will always cancel itself, regardless of how much you boost it. So you just end up overdriving everything for little/no gain.

By placing the speakers up against the wall you are reducing the primary reflection that causes nulls, leaving the DSP to work on the peaks.

My (limited) understanding is that room modes will give bass reinforcement (peaks) & cancellations (nulls). DSP can realistically only cancel peaks & not nulls because the null will always cancel itself, regardless of how much you boost it. So you just end up overdriving everything for little/no gain.

By placing the speakers up against the wall you are reducing the primary reflection that causes nulls, leaving the DSP to work on the peaks.

That's my understanding too. I presume it also helps with the timing errors, i.e. the DSP doesn't have to deal with the bass which emanates from the back of the speakers and reaches the listener after the sound directly from the drivers. Those waves also interact with the reflected waves bouncing back behind the listener, and create room modes/bloated/distorted bass.

The main logic of placing your speakers against the back wall is to improve timing – so the bass from the front and rear of the speaker all arrive at the listening position at the same time.

So, each bang of a drum for example it heard once, not twice. You cannot remove this secondary bang with room treatment or EQ. Try it with drumming and the improvement should be very obvious.

Hey Rob. The subwoofers that Lyngdorf have are very nice, but I don’t necessarily agree that they are better then SVS, Rel subwoofers in the same price class. I can though understand that Lyngdorf own subwoofers can integrate better with your main speakers then a SVS subwoofer if you run a Lyngdorf amplifier. I have read about the voicing that Lyngdorf have. That’s seems very interesting. The problem with tone controls/eq is that you lose some headroom/sound resolution with analog tone controls, therefore Lyngdorf is interesting. But I have too admit I use the tone controls on my Marantz amplifier, not because it’s bad sounding in neutral/flat settings, it’s just that some recordings need some warmth, or 70’s of all recordings in history! :eek:

If your aim is getting the highest fidelity reproduction, Lyngdorf woofers are higher quality. They don’t have the output of a SVS………… or the distortion or resonances.

If you have an SVS and would like to bring it over to test it, I’d be very happy to demonstrate this.

If your aim is getting the highest fidelity reproduction, Lyngdorf woofers are higher quality. They don’t have the output of a SVS………… or the distortion or resonances.

If you have an SVS and would like to bring it over to test it, I’d be very happy to demonstrate this.
That would have been a very fun. But I live in Norway. Sadly my local dealer does not have Lyngdorf equipment in their physical store. They only have Lyngdorf equipment in their web shop. So that’s no fun. I do have the option to buy, and return it after 60-days if I’m not happy. But I would rather loan some Lyngdorf equipment from the store by paying some money to the store as a safety. But one question about tone controls. They are considered as a no go to use in the hifi equipment. I use it though it’s very handy too have to adjust some recordings. I was wondering why do Lyngdorf support tone controls/eq?

Last edited:
But one question about tone controls. They are considered as a no go to use in the hifi equipment. I use it though it’s very handy too have to adjust some recordings. I was wondering why do Lyngdorf support tone controls/eq?
The main reason they are scoffed at and frowned upon in hifi circles is precisely because in days gone by it could only be done in the analogue domain by adding components that would degrade the signal, into the signal path. Now that it can be done via DSP it’s a whole other matter. There is no degradation, so go with whatever you like the sound of. There’s no right or wrong - it’s about enjoyment at the end of the day.

Looking for an all-in-one solution to replace my Denon 2020ae/Aries Mini setup I’m currently looking at the 1120. The 3400 and Nad M33 are currently out of range and I’m yet to be convinced by the the M10 after listening to it for about 15 mins.
Room correction is one of the requirements on the list and I’m hearing good things about RoomPerfect.

When reading reviews on the TDAI-1120, often it is mentioned you shouldn’t be using more demanding speakers. I’m currently driving a set of Harbeth 30.1 monitors and was wondering if anybody has tested the 1120 with these speakers or speakers using the same BBC design? And how are they holding up?

No way, Sir.

Check out Google Play Store ratings for the Lyngdorf Remote app. It has an average raging of 2,7 stars because it's flaky and shaky and won't connect all the time. Can't see any issue with my WiFi setup (I do know a bit about this stuff). It is perfectly good for all other apps on all other devices. This explicitly includes remote apps e.g. for Onkyo and Yamaha devices, both official and 3rd party. They all work flawlessly.

Can't speak for the iOS or iPadOS version of the app.

The built-in device web page is a totally different object. It works extremely fast and reliably. It also features perfect responsive design, so using it on a phone is just as pleasing as on a tablet, laptop or big screen PC.

Amen.
I can only speak from experience using the app in our showroom and multiple Lyngdorf devices and client installations.
This is on iOS

This is on iOS
This might just make all the difference.

I'm not blaming Lyngdorf at all, I'm just stating the facts I observe. Android as a platform surely isn't any worse (nor better) than iOS in theory, but in practice the diversity of hardware and software variants is just frightening from an app developer's point of view.

I have been playing around with all settings regarding energy saving and background activity and nothing seems to work better than default settings.

Anyway, this minor annoyance would never keep me from buying the 1120 or any other Lyngdorf gear (hint to @LuniCycle). The app ist still usable for me and there still is the web GUI.

I didn't try any el cheapo programmable 3rd party remote, as I got my Lyngdorf remote more or less for free. I would have paid the list price otherwise, because it is such a great piece of gear to use and look at.

When reading reviews on the TDAI-1120, often it is mentioned you shouldn’t be using more demanding speakers. I’m currently driving a set of Harbeth 30.1 monitors and was wondering if anybody has tested the 1120 with these speakers or speakers using the same BBC design? And how are they holding up?
There aren't that many reviews so far. Which of these mentioned to avoid "demanding" speakers?

I wouldn't even call the Harbeth a "demanding speakers". It's really a rather modest load.

The 1120 drives my LS50 with absolute ease. In contrast to what KEF says these are nominally 4 ohms speakers. Efficiency is given as 85 dB/watt/meter, but this number only holds true if you (incorrectly) stick with the 8 ohms rating, where 2.83 Veff would equal 1 watt. Relative to an input voltage of 2 Veff (1 watt into 4 ohms) the efficiency is only 82 dB at 1 meter distance.

The 1120 drives will drive those speakers with zero perceivable distortion to the point when they suddenly start to make puffing noises because the woofers have been driven beyond their max. excursion. And that point really comes as a surprise because everything sounds clean and crisp up to that very point.

I'll also give my pair of KEF R7 (which are on sale) a try tomorrow. They are approaching 3.2 ohms in the power hungry region around 150 Hz, but I am absolutely confident that the 1120 will be able to control them tightly.

There aren't that many reviews so far. Which of these mentioned to avoid "demanding" speakers?

I wouldn't even call the Harbeth a "demanding speakers". It's really a rather modest load.

The 1120 drives my LS50 with absolute ease. In contrast to what KEF says these are nominally 4 ohms speakers. Efficiency is given as 85 dB/watt/meter, but this number only holds true if you (incorrectly) stick with the 8 ohms rating, where 2.83 Veff would equal 1 watt. Relative to an input voltage of 2 Veff (1 watt into 4 ohms) the efficiency is only 82 dB at 1 meter distance.

The 1120 drives will drive those speakers with zero perceivable distortion to the point when they suddenly start to make puffing noises because the woofers have been driven beyond their max. excursion. And that point really comes as a surprise because everything sounds clean and crisp up to that very point.

I'll also give my pair of KEF R7 (which are on sale) a try tomorrow. They are approaching 3.2 ohms in the power hungry region around 150 Hz, but I am absolutely confident that the 1120 will be able to control them tightly.
Thanks for your reply. I've seen it mentioned in two reviews, which made me take notice. There was a review on The Ear which specifically mentioned the P3ESR that made me wonder if the 30.1 would be be a good match. A Dutch review on hifi.nl also mentioned to avoid "tricky" speakers. Think the efficiency and nominal ratings for the P3ESR are pretty much the same as the 30.1 if I'm not mistaken.

Then again The Ear also mentioned the amp not showing any distortion on higher volumes thanks to the class D design. It's the fact that we've recently moved to a bigger house, bigger living room (hence also the room correction wish) which makes me think I sometimes need to up the volume a bit more than I used to do.

As for the puffing noises from my poor speakers, that'd be my worst nightmare after only acquiring these late last year and really enjoying them ;-)

Looking forward to getting one of TDAi-1120 steaming amps at home to play with very soon. I know I enjoyed the TDAi-3400 and it will be interesting to see how different the two models are within my system :smashin:

We spent the day listening to our showroom 1120 paired with Lyngdorf MH3 speakers and a BW3 boundary woofer.
It really is an excellent streaming amplifier. We threw everything at from classical to hardcore house. Spotify, Tidal and bluetooth streaming.
Really pleased pleased with it and ease of use. I will be getting one for my home office.
17B86EC8-B3DB-4B1B-93AE-FAC9050C5CA3.jpeg

We spent the day listening to our showroom 1120 paired with Lyngdorf MH3 speakers and a BW3 boundary woofer.
It really is an excellent streaming amplifier. We threw everything at from classical to hardcore house. Spotify, Tidal and bluetooth streaming.
Really pleased pleased with it and ease of use. I will be getting one for my home office.
View attachment 1370923
Looks like the volume was nice and loud there 😄

View attachment 1370923
I've supplied a couple but yet to hear it...
your Clic Cabinet looks fantastic Richard...had ours for 18 months now and love it.

Hi Steve,
Really pleased with the Clic so much so that we are getting another two in for the showroom.
The 1120 has really impressed us. Stopped a few of our team in their tracks yesterday as they couldn’t believe it was the 1120/MH3 system playing.

Hi Steve,
Really pleased with the Clic so much so that we are getting another two in for the showroom.
The 1120 has really impressed us. Stopped a few of our team in their tracks yesterday as they couldn’t believe it was the 1120/MH3 system playing.
I have three Clic cabinets in my lounge all in a row -----about 3.5m long in the Dark Grey with Brass cable covers to match the Model S speakers, mixture of fabric and solid doors, 2x have the Lyngdorf BW2 cutout in them....supplied one recently and looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks.....what is really cool is that the BW3 will fit inside behind a fabric door.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom