New Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 Streaming amp

I have three Clic cabinets in my lounge all in a row -----about 3.5m long in the Dark Grey with Brass cable covers to match the Model S speakers, mixture of fabric and solid doors, 2x have the Lyngdorf BW2 cutout in them....supplied one recently and looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks.....what is really cool is that the BW3 will fit inside behind a fabric door.

Earlier today:

Gets excited.
Checks the price.
Goes back to Kallax.

😂

A practical question regarding the BW3, are the grills cat proof? With them being at ground level I would be somewhat concerned about my feline friend!

A practical question regarding the BW3, are the grills cat proof? With them being at ground level I would be somewhat concerned about my feline friend!
You could try a small metal mesh fire guard in front of the BW3, wired up to the mains.

Is it just me that reads the conclusion first? Will read full article when I am not working. I would like to see Mr Darko do a video review if for no other reason than that I like his presentation style

Last edited:
I’ve read a lot about Lyngdorf Room Perfect digital eq software, it seems very interesting. You adjust the sound settings with a microphone from where you are sitting, plus many other settings. Around the whole room also. I can then understand that it can/we’ll have a great impact when you’re listing to music.

Last edited:
So, the 1120 has arrived at home for me to play with. Cannot wait to see what it sounds like, getting excited :thumbsup:

Hi,

First post!

I just picked up the 1120 and I'm considering pairing them with Dynaudio Evoke 20 speakers. I'm worried about Dynaudio's reputation of being power hungry. I know the 1120 is very new, but is there anyone in this thread using the amp with similarly (supposedly?) hard-to-drive speakers, or anyone who's successfully paired the Evoke 20s with lower-power amps?

I'd be using them in a fairly small space (3.5m from speakers max) and never at ear-shattering volumes (always under 75dB -- estimate based on a free Android sound meter app, no idea about accuracy).

For reference, the Evoke 20s have a sensitivity of 86dB (1W/1m) and a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, and apparently can drop down to 2.8 ohms. That's against the 1120's 2x120 W RMS @ 4 ohm and 2x60 W RMS @ 8 ohm.

I'm very new at component matching (coming from active speakers) so any advice is welcome.

I've just unpacked the 1120 I'm testing at home (it will take me a little while to sort my system out as its not just a simple plug and play - so I expect it to be Monday before I'm up and running properly - so I hope you can wait).

My speakers are very difficult to drive correctly and usually show weakness up in amps of past I've used, so once I've got it set up, I shall let you know. I know it will be a 60w per channel down on the power I'm using at home, so, it will be interesting to see how it works together

Just a thought...

Is there any way to play high quality Tidal tracks on the 1120 without using Roon? Airplay 2 downsamples to 16bit/48 as I recall.

I've just unpacked the 1120 I'm testing at home (it will take me a little while to sort my system out as its not just a simple plug and play - so I expect it to be Monday before I'm up and running properly - so I hope you can wait).

My speakers are very difficult to drive correctly and usually show weakness up in amps of past I've used, so once I've got it set up, I shall let you know. I know it will be a 60w per channel down on the power I'm using at home, so, it will be interesting to see how it works together

I can wait, no rush. Very interested in your findings. Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Please let us know the speakers you're using and how the 1120 compares to other amps and streamers you're familiar with.

Just a thought...

Is there any way to play high quality Tidal tracks on the 1120 without using Roon? Airplay 2 downsamples to 16bit/48 as I recall.

I have no experience with it, but this review...

...mentions McConnect HD as an alternative to Roon to do just that.

I have no experience with it, but this review...

...mentions McConnect HD as an alternative to Roon to do just that.

I have a TDAi 3400 and have been experimenting with streaming on it. As part of those experiments, I've compared Mconnect HD and Roon and for me, Roon is far superior, but more demanding on my network. Mconnect HD sounds OK with Tidal (and Qobuz), but Roon/Tidal/Qobuz provides greater clarity of sound, better quality bass, better timing and a much greater soundstage.

I'm still trying different things and still not sure if I will finally go with a Roon subscription (still have 15 days to make a decision), but as the 3400 doesn't have AirPlay 2 yet, I'll probably end with Roon for a year at least.

I'm interested in what experienced users have to say about AirPlay 2. Can it play back Tidal natively, i.e. CD quality and Hi Res?

Very much looking forward to hearing more thoughts on this.

I have the wireless KEF speakers but suffer with bass resonance due to a less than ideal living room. So the TDAI 1120, Room Perfect and the new passive LS50 Meta's sound very intriguing!

Made an appointment to have this unit tested at our house. So I can check out RoomPerfect as well. They're also bringing the Naim Uniti Atom, so I've got ample opportunities to have these measured against my current setup

I have the wireless KEF speakers but suffer with bass resonance due to a less than ideal living room. So the TDAI 1120, Room Perfect and the new passive LS50 Meta's sound very intriguing!
I agree but the outgoing LS50s can be picked new for very good prices if you don't want to latest thing and the other thought I had was the Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary very traditional looking but getting good reviews. When the structural changes have been made to my lounge my plan is to try it out with my existing vintage Linn Kan IIs and take it from there.

Would be interested if anyone has tried it out in anger on Wi-Fi and how well that works, the majority of my listening is FLAC rips of red book CDs but I do have a smattering of 192/24 stuff that might challenge Wi-Fi.

I agree but the outgoing LS50s can be picked new for very good prices if you don't want to latest thing

I'd still give the LS50 Meta an audition if you can. The reviews suggest a big step forward, which means it's jumped above the R3 in some respects.

The original LS50 already was above the R3 in some respects, at least for my taste.

Also, LS50s (outgoing) are already pretty much sold out in many markets. Sure you can go second hand, but that would only make sense if you know for sure that you're not missing important things in comparison to LS50 Meta. So I agree, auditioning the Meta is a good idea, if you're in business for a speaker of that kind.

We spent the day listening to our showroom 1120 paired with Lyngdorf MH3 speakers and a BW3 boundary woofer.
It really is an excellent streaming amplifier. We threw everything at from classical to hardcore house. Spotify, Tidal and bluetooth streaming.
Really pleased pleased with it and ease of use. I will be getting one for my home office.
View attachment 1370923
Hi Rich, I'd be very interested to hear how these speakers compare with the smaller MH3/BW3? Do you have them or any thoughts? I'm currently doing research about possible options and the TDAI 1120 with the MH3/BW3 is very much in my mind. Space is an absolute premium for me and I would probably have to mount one speak slightly higher than the other - not generally ideal but I understand the Lyngdorf system can compensate for that.

EDIT -just ignore me - you are running the smaller speakers! Doh

Hi Rich, I'd be very interested to hear how these speakers compare with the smaller MH3/BW3? Do you have them or any thoughts? I'm currently doing research about possible options and the TDAI 1120 with the MH3/BW3 is very much in my mind. Space is an absolute premium for me and I would probably have to mount one speak slightly higher than the other - not generally ideal but I understand the Lyngdorf system can compensate for that.

EDIT -just ignore me - you are running the smaller speakers! Doh
Yes we have the MH3/BW3 on demonstration. Really does sound excellent. So much so we are going to install the same in my office at home.
You are welcome to visit us to take a listen.

New member here, hoping for some advice!

A little background... current system is an old Audiolab 8200CD (CD and DAC) into Naim Nait XS, Naim NAC A5 cable into Linn Majik 2019 standmounts. I mostly play FLAC (ripped from CD) and Spotify Premium, from a laptop via USB to the Audiolab DAC but recently been trialling Amazon HD, Tidal and Qobuz.

I like the system but ready for an upgrade. I've been looking at replacement amps, as the XS is quite old and at 60W into 8 Ohm, possibly not really up to driving my Linn 109's (4 Ohm, 88dB efficiency). I've been looking at typical integrated amps from Naim and others but have been offered a used Lyngdorf TDAi 2200.

A bit of research and I'm very interested in Lyngdorf technology. My room is a 6m x 3.5m lounge diner family room - not an ideal listening space at all, so room perfect sounds very interesting.

I was set to take a gamble on the TDAi 2200, then came across the TDAi 1120. My audiolab CD DAC has recently failed so either the 2200 or 1120 look like a great one box replacement but I would like to add streaming capability. I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi/DigiOne and have a Chromecast Audio on the way, which are obviously on the low cost end of streaming but may provide a good short term solution along with the 2200 but the 1120 seems to cater for all possible streaming needs.

So my main questions/concerns are:
- Whether the 1120 would happily drive my speakers? (2200 would clearly be able to handle far bigger/better speakers).

- Whether either the 2200 or 1120 would sound dry/cold/fatiguing compared to my old Naim (although I gather filters could be used to address, if I found this to be the case?)

- The file resolutions supported by the various streaming services ie 320kbps on Spotify Premium and particularly the resolution supported by the built in Chromecast feature. The Naim ND5 XS2 specifically mentions support for 192kHz sample rate with it's Chromecast implementation, so wondered whether the 1120 is the same? If so, this would be ideal, as I'd like to be able to stream direct from mobile or PC, rather than having to go via a 3rd party app like Roon or mConnect.

Thanks!

But it has Spotify Connect (320kbps) built in so why would you use the Chromecast feature which is typically 256kbps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom