Question New phone recommendations

Rosstopher

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new phone and I am trying to look outside the box, seeing as I have been a Samsung Fanboy since the s2. Been on the s8 note for a couple of years now, as the s9 note and s10 note didnt seem big enough upgrades to justify it.

Before my inner fanboy just buys another Samsung (likely s20) are there any phones I should seriously consider?

My only requirements are:

- Slightly smaller than the note
- Half decent camera
- Wireless Charging
- Compatible with the BMW/Mercedes 2020 media setups (torn between the two manufacturers at the moment).

I don't play games on my phones and pretty much just aimlessly browse the web and watch videos, so nothing too strenuous imo.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,

Ross

What did you go with mate, interested as theres no shops to go and play with them...!!!

I'm on the s9 and the s10 or s20 are the next upgrades.

Always fancied a galaxy note but never went for one... same usage as me, no gaming, just a few websites and a bit of Johnny Vaughn every now and then...😋

What did you go with mate, interested as theres no shops to go and play with them...!!!

I'm on the s9 and the s10 or s20 are the next upgrades.

Always fancied a galaxy note but never went for one... same usage as me, no gaming, just a few websites and a bit of Johnny Vaughn every now and then...😋

I ended up going for an s10 (standard one, not the note) in the end, solely for the fact I managed to pick up a new one for £300. For the money, I couldn't find anything better and like you said, there are no shops to try them out, so went with the devil I know for now.

I ended up going for an s10 (standard one, not the note) in the end, solely for the fact I managed to pick up a new one for £300. For the money, I couldn't find anything better and like you said, there are no shops to try them out, so went with the devil I know for now.
Just to flag that in terms of "Compatible with the BMW/Mercedes 2020 media setups ", BMW only currently support Apple CarPlay - Android Auto isn't supported. BMW are bringing Android Auto to new cars with iDrive 7.0 but it isn't 100% clear what / if any route there will be for existing cars to get an upgrade (though in theory it should just be an online software download for them). Note though that not all current BMW's have iDrive 7.0 at the moment (the current 5 series is on v6.5 I think).

Bluetooth etc. will still work for streaming music etc.. but if you wanted to Google Maps or Waze etc. for satnav, it won't work with a BMW currently.

Just to flag that in terms of "Compatible with the BMW/Mercedes 2020 media setups ", BMW only currently support Apple CarPlay - Android Auto isn't supported. BMW are bringing Android Auto to new cars with iDrive 7.0 but it isn't 100% clear what / if any route there will be for existing cars to get an upgrade (though in theory it should just be an online software download for them). Note though that not all current BMW's have iDrive 7.0 at the moment (the current 5 series is on v6.5 I think).

Bluetooth etc. will still work for streaming music etc.. but if you wanted to Google Maps or Waze etc. for satnav, it won't work with a BMW currently.

Ah I wasn't aware of that. I'd read here: Android Auto now officially available on BMW models alongside CarPlay that it should be compatible July, so I booked test drives for early July. Hopefully, it's going into new builds, as I was starting to tilt more towards the BMW.

Ah I wasn't aware of that. I'd read here: Android Auto now officially available on BMW models alongside CarPlay that it should be compatible July, so I booked test drives for early July. Hopefully, it's going into new builds, as I was starting to tilt more towards the BMW.
As it's only being built from July, it usually takes several weeks for a car to go from factory to road, and as test drive cars are usually kept for several months, you might struggle to find a model that supports it for a while. This also assumes they switch over every model at the same time, which might not happen!

I've been in the same boat as you @ Ross L. Been a Samsung boy for many years. I started out with the Galaxy Wave about 10/11 years ago 😂 !

I had an S9 which was due an upgrade this month. After reading reviews / watching YouTube videos I opted to go for the S10 instead of the S20. Naturally I would have gone for the S20, but I had read soooooo many complaints from people that have the S20 in the UK; and the fact that it comes with a different processor/chip to the one they offer in USA, which means the processor here in the UK is terrible and it over heats to the point of burn ! There is pages and pages of complaints about it.

The S10 is great and I am very happy with it. I'm sure you will be :thumbsup:

S10 saves me about 25 quid a month s20 is about the same.... time to get on YT and look at a few reviews....

I am tempted to keep the s9 as it does everything I need it to with ease... pay as you go is about 10 quid...!!!

To be fair I'd say the S9 was the best phone I've ever had. I'd either keep S9 or upgrade to S10 if I were you BigA1

As it's only being built from July, it usually takes several weeks for a car to go from factory to road, and as test drive cars are usually kept for several months, you might struggle to find a model that supports it for a while. This also assumes they switch over every model at the same time, which might not happen!

That is very true, not really considered that. However, I think the decision has been reached. The better half wants the Mercedes and I preferred the BMW on paper, so it looks like we're getting the Mercedes haha (well as long as the better half still likes it after being passenger in it).

I've been in the same boat as you @ Ross L. Been a Samsung boy for many years. I started out with the Galaxy Wave about 10/11 years ago 😂 !

I had an S9 which was due an upgrade this month. After reading reviews / watching YouTube videos I opted to go for the S10 instead of the S20. Naturally I would have gone for the S20, but I had read soooooo many complaints from people that have the S20 in the UK; and the fact that it comes with a different processor/chip to the one they offer in USA, which means the processor here in the UK is terrible and it over heats to the point of burn ! There is pages and pages of complaints about it.

The S10 is great and I am very happy with it. I'm sure you will be :thumbsup:

Yeah the s20 issues really put me off - overheating, camera glass breaking etc. If it wasn't for all that, I would have gone with the s20, but in all honesty, the jump in performance from the s8 note to the s10 is great enough to keep me happy.

Keeps the better half happy as well, as I'm not blowing money on tech, so it's a win win haha

I am an S6 user who would have upgraded to an S20 but for the consistent poor battery life issues raised by those using the European model.
I am therefore going to go with the OnePlus 8 Pro.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom