New Star Wars trilogy from Rian Johnson

I haven't seen The Phantom Menace since it came out, but at least it tried something different

Because clearly Johnson tried nothing different in The Last Jedi and thats why it's controversial?

Also - all the people who complain about the humour in TLJ need to be forced to watch a loop of all the Jar Jar scenes, a la Clockwork Orange, until some perspective is achieved.

Because clearly Johnson tried nothing different in The Last Jedi and thats why it's controversial?

Only in the sense that he did lots of really stupid things. King core characters for no reason is a really dumb thing to do.

How did the admittedly already weak story from The Force Awakens advance in The Last Jedi? It didn't. Why did Johnson waste half an hour on a subplot on comedy horse planet which went nowhere? Just so he could allude to Obi-Wan disabling the tractor beam in A New Hope? Or maybe he just loved the bad CG creatures in the prequels?

Your 'horse planet' Canto Bight, despite its unpopularity, is a prime example of the prequel style world building you just said was missing.

I also cannot fathom how anyone can claim Darth Maul is a 'more interesting character' than, say, Kylo Ren. Maul is incredibly cool I agree, and an awesome warrior, but his character isn't interesting. It's not even existent.

The Phantom Menace is by far the worst of all the films in the Star Wars universe. That's just not even questionable.

Will be popping up my new thoughts on TFA and TLJ this week, but I'm feeling much better about them now than I did. TLJ in particular.

Only in the sense that he did lots of really stupid things. King core characters for no reason is a really dumb thing to do.

But a minute ago there wasn't anything new..... unlike "The Phantom Menace"

Now it is new but just "Stupid" ... but "maybe" some people think the "new things" in 'The Phantom Menace" were stupid.

You've just falling into a trap of having an opinion and have convinced yourself that that represents "Star Wars Fans" ... It doesn't.

Humour is subjective but for all I thought some of the humour in TLJ felt a little flat or forced for me, it was nowhere near as bad as CGI animals farting.

Also, it looks incredible, I mean incredible. How anyone can say it didn't look good is beyond me. Some of the visuals are stunning. The hairs on my neck still stand up when I see the Holdo maneouvre.

Humour is subjective but for all I thought some of the humour in TLJ felt a little flat or forced for me, it was nowhere near as bad as CGI animals farting.

Also, it looks incredible, I mean incredible. How anyone can say it didn't look good is beyond me. Some of the visuals are stunning. The hairs on my neck still stand up when I see the Holdo maneouvre.

The prank call, Luke throwing away the lightsabre, the lightsabre clobbering Ray on the head during the Snoke battle, those porg plushie things. It was all awful. The "humour" in the Phantom Menace was also awful.

Phantom Menace is a terrible movie, but it did at least serve a purpose in introducing young Obi-Wan, Anakin, the Jedi council and it showed the republic before the empire. It also introduced possibly the coolest Sith Lord in any Star Wars movie, it had the best light sabre battle in any Star Wars movie too. Plus it had a great score, I would argue the last great Star Wars score. Since then Williams has sadly been running on fumes.

To me The Phantom Menace is a 2/10 movie. A near total failure which at least tried.

The Last Jedi is a 1/10 movie. It simply doesn't work as a narrative. It has virtually no story and what little is there makes no sense.

So they're both utter disasters, but to me, The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie. It was a struggle not the leave the cinema, and my recent painful rewatch did nothing to change my opinion. For what it's worth I would give The Force Awakens a 5/10. I'm expecting the new one to be somewhere around a 5 as well.

To me The Phantom Menace is a 2/10 movie. A near total failure which at least tried.

The Last Jedi is a 1/10 movie.
I would give The Force Awakens a 5/10. I'm expecting the new one to be somewhere around a 5 as well.

Clearly Star Wars hasn't been working for you for some time.

That shouldn't of course stop you enjoying the original trilogy.

Perhaps it might be time to find something else new you do enjoy rather than fuelling your hate and negativity that seems to motivate you to keep wanting to tell others that do enjoy it how shit it is.

6/10 for me. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that good. Far, far too much goofy comedy and cute CG creatures which will surely all make for very profitable merchandise. It was deeply into Ewok territory, if not worse.

Pointless side plots too which did nothing for the already bloated run time. It could easily have been half an hour shorter.

At least it wasn't a straight Empire remake, even with the numerous Empire callbacks.

Does that mean you used to rate The Phantom Menace as 7/10 then?

Last edited:
The prank call, Luke throwing away the lightsabre, the lightsabre clobbering Ray on the head during the Snoke battle, those porg plushie things. It was all awful. The "humour" in the Phantom Menace was also awful.

Phantom Menace is a terrible movie, but it did at least serve a purpose in introducing young Obi-Wan, Anakin, the Jedi council and it showed the republic before the empire. It also introduced possibly the coolest Sith Lord in any Star Wars movie, it had the best light sabre battle in any Star Wars movie too. Plus it had a great score, I would argue the last great Star Wars score. Since then Williams has sadly been running on fumes.

The Last Jedi is a 1/10 movie. It simply doesn't work as a narrative. It has virtually no story and what little is there makes no sense.

So they're both utter disasters, but to me, The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie. It was a struggle not the leave the cinema, and my recent painful rewatch did nothing to change my opinion. For what it's worth I would give The Force Awakens a 5/10. I'm expecting the new one to be somewhere around a 5 as well.

Maybe you should find something new in your cinematic life, Star Wars is clearly doing nothing for you.

If I felt like you seem to, I would simply not bother. Also, coming here and spreading your negativity seems strange.

I don’t think Johnson fully got or understood the characters from the OT or Prequels and the ones he introduced weren't great. I don’t think he is a bad film maker, far from it. I would let him create his own trilogy in a galaxy not only far away, but far in the future from the events in the current series. This will allow him to create his own world and not be tied to the past (too much) and we could get something very good from it.

It’s a pity Disney wouldn’t sanction him doing a more adult filled Star Wars aiming for a 15 rating, more in the way Nolan’s Batman universe was compared to the other Batman movies.

I don’t agree with the story or characters direction in Last Jedi but it is not a 1/10 movie, saying so just really makes you lose validity, same way Phantom Menace is not 2/10. Some very nicely shot scenes and some well thought out special effects such as Luke not throwing up red dust when he moved against Kylo or as you point out, the phantom menace has Darth Maul, fantastic battle scene, a great score by John Williams but it’s only 2/10?

What is your highest rated SW movie, and why?

Maybe you should find something new in your cinematic life, Star Wars is clearly doing nothing for you.

If I felt like you seem to, I would simply not bother. Also, coming here and spreading your negativity seems strange.
He's right though (imo of course!) on the rubbish humour. I love the old trilogy, can't stand the prequels and feel ambivalent towards the new trilogy. There's still time for redemption with 9 and my god I absolutely adore the mandalorian. There is hope!

I don’t think Johnson fully got or understood the characters from the OT or Prequels and the ones he introduced weren't great. I don’t think he is a bad film maker, far from it. I would let him create his own trilogy in a galaxy not only far away, but far in the future from the events in the current series. This will allow him to create his own world and not be tied to the past (too much) and we could get something very good from it.

It’s a pity Disney wouldn’t sanction him doing a more adult filled Star Wars aiming for a 15 rating, more in the way Nolan’s Batman universe was compared to the other Batman movies.
I don’t think many ‘people’ get Star Wars either, considering there has been 11 films; 3 excellent ones, 2 great and rest being completely average or poor.
When compared to many other franchises like LOTR/Harry Potter/James Bond/Marvel/etc
Star Wars is easily the poorest from them all if looking at it as a complete franchise.

The best thing for Star Wars would be to take a 3 year gap, everyone looks quite fatigued with it at the moment

I really hope that never happens. Not every kids series needs to become "adult" and dark. Let Star Wars be Star Wars.

I don’t think many ‘people’ get Star Wars either, considering there has been 11 films; 3 excellent ones, 2 great and rest being completely average or poor.

I wouldn't class Solo as great in any universe.

I say bring George back. He knows Star Wars better than anyone and I dare say he's learnt a lot since the prequels.

We have Dave Filoni now. He combines an understanding of George’s mindset with a true love of Star Wars, and good storytelling to boot. As long as he’s in the mix, we don’t need George.

We have Dave Filoni now. He combines an understanding of George’s mindset with a true love of Star Wars, and good storytelling to boot. As long as he’s in the mix, we don’t need George.
Yep, Filoni and Favreau all the way. Lucas and Filoni seem to talk and share ideas still but Lucas had his go.

I really enjoyed the Madelorian and Favreau is certainly a tried and tested talent and a brand builder.

Filoni I dont particularly have the same confidence in. A few good episodes of The Clone Wars in a 133 episode, 7 season run doesn't bring the confidence of someone i would want overseeing one of the most cherished franchises in cinema.

I really enjoyed the Madelorian and Favreau is certainly a tried and tested talent and a brand builder.

Filoni I dont particularly have the same confidence in. A few good episodes of The Clone Wars in a 133 episode, 7 season run doesn't bring the confidence of someone i would want overseeing one of the most cherished franchises in cinema.

I think the Clone Wars amounts to way more than a few good episodes. I am near the end of season 4 in a re run before watching the finale and I would say the filler episodes are in the minority with the majority being good or very good.

I really hope that never happens. Not every kids series needs to become "adult" and dark. Let Star Wars be Star Wars.

Im saying to avoid Fatigue with the current format. It may interest the folks who grew up with Star Wars OT as many are now easily, very easily 40+ years old and what works for todays generation may not work for them. Look at the reception of that Batwoman TV show as an example of forced identity politics. This is why two series may make the most sense.

Further to this, Rian is a talented Film Maker but maybe he doesn't see Star Wars the way George does; so instead of forcing him to make a movie that way, let him make his own which maybe is perhaps more grounded in reality, like the Nolan Batman series. They don't have to be dark. We have never heard fuel mentioned in Star Wars until the last Jedi, so it show Rian had this reality on his mind.

We have never heard fuel mentioned in Star Wars until the last Jedi, so it show Rian had this reality on his mind.

I do feel that it's at least implied by Han in ESB.

Ultimately, it's a plot point, so from a storytelling perspective, it only needs to be mentioned (or created) when necessary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom