New to PS4 - Horror games and platformers

nightofjoy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get hold of a PS4.

We have the earlier consoles but haven't played them in a couple of years. We're hoping the new one will kick start us again.

We always liked horrors and platformers. We're going to have to flog the old PS2 to make room, but my missus really likes Kingdom Hearts.
Are the versions for PS3 & 4 Just as good? Or better?

My favourite was Enslaved: Odyssey to the West on PS3, And Ratchet & Clank. Can anyone suggest any PS4 platformers that play simiarly to any of those?

Also I've been Googling PS4 HORROR GAMES and I'm seeing the same titles crop up over and over, then I saw one on a different page called Little Nightmares which looks great. INSIDE is on the list, too. Any horror/creepy games you can suggest, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in Advance.

Horror games/series to look out for:

Outlast
Resident Evil
Until Dawn
Alien Isolation
Soma

Little Nightmares is a creepy game, but I'd say its more a platform game. So is a lovely game called Limbo, which Inside is it's spiritual sequel. Other platformers I've enjoyed would be Rayman Legends, Tearaway Unfolded, the Ratchet and Clank remaster, Unravel 1 & 2 and you also have remasters of the classics such as Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, etc

I've not played Kingdom Hearts, but you have several option with Kingdom Hearts 3 being the latest, all good I believe. If you do like this type of game, I can recommend Dragon Quest XI, Ni No Kuni 1 & 2, Persona 5 and of course there are several Final Fantasy options with FFXV being the latest.

Have fun :smashin:

Hi. Yeah, Little Nightmares appeals as it seems to tick both boxes. I'll give it a whirl. I think you can get Limbo and Inside as a dual pack, so I'll definitely give that a go. It looks like the kind of point & click platformer I play on my phone.

I've seen Soma on a few of these lists but I can't seem to find a copy of it on eBay - my go to spot for used games.

Thanks for the tips!

Soma is digital only.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 remix gives you all of the games prior to 3 so might be worth getting if you like those games.

Definitely get Little Nightmares, Limbo and Inside. They are absolutely superb although just had a look at the prices on PS store at the moment and....ouch. I bought them last year when they were on offer.
Think I paid just over £6 for Little Nightmares Complete Edition at the end of October, that's currently at £24.
Bought the Limbo and Inside pack in May, again for £6.49 and that's now £22.
They are all brilliant games but it may be worth holding off to see if they pop up on sale again.

Definitely get Little Nightmares, Limbo and Inside. They are absolutely superb although just had a look at the prices on PS store at the moment and....ouch. I bought them last year when they were on offer.
Think I paid just over £6 for Little Nightmares Complete Edition at the end of October, that's currently at £24.
Bought the Limbo and Inside pack in May, again for £6.49 and that's now £22.
They are all brilliant games but it may be worth holding off to see if they pop up on sale again.
Cheers, hopefully I'll save a few quid buying used..

Inside + Limbo is £24 at CEX! Little Nightmares is £15

A little patience and you'll definitely get both cheaper on the PS Store

I think I'm gonna give Until Dawn a miss. It looks like it has too much video content for me, which I find usually takes me out of the game...

I think I'm gonna give Until Dawn a miss. It looks like it has too much video content for me, which I find usually takes me out of the game...

It is like playing an interactive slasher movie, its really well done and me and my misses loved it. But it is a choose your own path with quick time events to add some tension..

Horror Games

Resident Evil 7, 2 & 3 Remakes
Dying Light/Days Gone
The Evil Within/ The Evil Within 2
Man of Medan/ A Plagues Tale
Until Dawn

Platformers

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy
Little Big Planet 3
Rayman Legends
Ratchet & Clank
Oddworld New N Tasty
Spyro Trilogy

It is like playing an interactive slasher movie, its really well done and me and my misses loved it. But it is a choose your own path with quick time events to add some tension..
Yeah I don't think it's for us, I'd really prefer as little video as possible in any game. Most of the time I skip through the intro videos that set the story up. I like to cut to the chase and pick up the story as I go.

I have another question, which is likely to make me sound a bit daft, but Hey-Ho.

I now have my PS4 (Not played it yet) and a nice little stash of games. Many of the games make a big song and dance about the incredible look of the world they depict - which is cool, but a lot of the reviews I read beforehand were talking about resolution and frame rate...

Will I need to alter my TV settings for each game accordingly, to get the best experience? And if so, will I be prompted, otherwise how will I know what to set?

I never usually touch the TV settings, we're a one-size-fits-all kind of couple 😃

Thanks.

Nah. You can always have a look in the TV forums here and see if anyone may have posted settings for your TV model for gaming. If you find some, try them, they will only change the input that the PS4 is on.

Otherwise, just leave as is and enjoy.

A lot of games may give you the option when starting to adjust brightness levels in game etc, again you can change those in the video options if each game.

You shouldn't need to change anything on the TV after you initially set up the PS.

Nah. You can always have a look in the TV forums here and see if anyone may have posted settings for your TV model for gaming. If you find some, try them, they will only change the input that the PS4 is on.

Otherwise, just leave as is and enjoy.

A lot of games may give you the option when starting to adjust brightness levels in game etc, again you can change those in the video options if each game.

Cool, thanks. It just seemed to mention different levels of HD for some games, but I won't fiddle 😉

Another question.

Two player games (local). Any suggestions?

We usually take turns with the platformer/horror games, the other person helps navigate, but it might be nice to try some 2x player options.

The only thing we ever found that we liked playing together on the previous console was Portal 2...

Little Big Planet, any of the Lego games, Minecraft....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom