Answered New to Smart Tech - Lights, Windows, Sound

Delltron

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Completely new here, and i've read a number of posts but im struggling to find anything that describes my lighting situation and a solution for it. So thanks in advance.

I've been reading up online this week about various smart technology and I understand enough to know i already want to purchase the following:
  • Sonos One (with Alexa)
  • Velux Windows (I already have them, just waiting for the ability to control via zigbee
  • Hive
I am now looking into Lighting and I want to start in the Kitchen. Again I know I want the following:
  • Alexa integration
  • RGBW
  • Under Cabinet Lighting
I immediately went to look at Philips Hue and realised its only 12v, but they do also appear to have Philips Hue Plus which is 24v. However I need a hub and the light strip plus so it definitely comes in at more than the cheaper end of the market.

I looked at lifx which is cheaper, and actually has some better features but again its only 12v so the distance i need it to travel it just woudnt work. Plus a lot of gripes online about its a faff to setup and if wireless drops its a faff to setup again.

I've seen a lot of talk about getting "FLS-PP" and a bit of DIY with non branded lighting strip.

The problem I have is that I need LED strip under my 3 cabinets, but they are not joined with minimum of 1m gaps between them. I am not going to run ugly wires in sight, and im also not going to chase out walls (i've just moved in after renovating for 15 months and everything is brand new). My wife would kill me :p

Is there a way of plugging in the control end (of any solution) above the first cabinet (near the light switch/feed) and then taking the lighting ring wiring 2x1.5+1 and wiring this direct to the strip or in some way.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more detail please ask.

Thanks
DT
kitchen_layout.JPG

Just buy 3x hue light strip plus kits and connect each one to the lighting ring drops over each cabinet

Thanks for the quick reply Mushii.

Seems really expensive way of doing it though. Is there not an alternative thats cheaper and just as good, or is it a case of "cake and eat it" :)

I was wondering if I could put a plug top on the first cabinet then just drop fly leads from each cabinet down to the hue lightstrip and just wire it directly. Or does it need a transformer/driver for each cabinet? Even if its 24v?

You can tell im not an electrcian :)

If I went with the philips hue would I just terminate the loop on the lighting ring above each cabinet into a plug top. Then plug the light strip transformer into the plugtop. Then run an extension cable down the wall and connect the light strip?

Pretty much. I understand that it’s expensive but unless you can run some 5 core ribbon between each cabinet, I don’t see an alternative.

I suppose another alternative would be:
3x fls-pp transformers/controllers and a 3m real of LED strip
or another product like Lombex that is Alexa compatible but again I need 3 strips

I was wondering if there was a way of wiring the 24v philips hue controller into the start of the ring, and then connecting the lighting ring with an adapter to the cut Hue strip in all 3 locations or does it just not work like that?

Thanks again by the way, appreciate the quick responses

Your problem is that you need 4 or 5 core cable (depending on RGB or RGBW to join the sections of LED ribbon together) if you only wish to use one controller / transformer. Otherwise each section of LED ribbon will need its own PSU and controller

excuse my ignorance but why is using 4 or 5 core cable a problem? Or do you mean the cabling in the wall I've already buried should have been 4 or 5 core instead of 2x1.5+1

I meant your existing cabling does not faccilitate joining lengths of LED ribbon to use a single PSU and controller. Sorry if I was unclear.

No its fine, your advice has been really useful so dont apologies. Im new so probably just my lack of understanding.

Do you know if the Hue controllers are purchasable as a separate item without the strip, as I could then just buy the 1m extensions and save some money.

Unfortunately Philips only sell the controllers soldered onto the lighstrip. So it isn’t possible to purchase the controller separately.

Hi,

Sorry to ask again, been having a re-think and because i dont fully understand I figured it was safer to check/ask here.

I think based on an early repsonse one of the problems I had with my idea of running Hue lightstrip around my cabinets on the existing lighting ring, with a single driver/transformer is that I am only use 1.5mm 2+1 lighting cable and HUE is RGBW and therefore 3+1 would have been better.

If I was to replace the wiring (think i found a way of rodding/pulling) with 3+1 is it possible to do it based on my kitchen layout above?

Failing that if I have 3+1 wiring what is the best setup I could use (not neccesarily Hue)?

Hopefully that made sense.

Thanks
DT

Last edited:
Hue is actually RGB and 2 white for 5 channels so you'll need 6 cores.

RGBW is 4 channels so will need 5 core cables.

God now im even more confused. I should stop asking questions reqlly. So it sounds like you always need 1 more core than the number of channels, whats the n+1 core for?

If I put 6 core through the walls is the above then possible.

Basically whats the easiest, cheapest alternative to have RGBW or RGBWW that works with Alexa?

Sorry all!

The extra is a common positive connection (with each channel having a variable negative) you've correctly hit on the fact it's one more cable than number of channels.

Apologies I asked this in another new thread but nobody seems to answer. To spark interest I've added it here, but cant figure out how to delete the other so please ignore it.

If I purchase a Philips hue light strip pack it comes with 2m of led cable.

The 2m is enough to do the 3 cupboards I have.

If using my lighting ring I put a plug top above each of the 3 cupboards can I then:

1. Plug the Philips hue driver above the 1st cabinet, run a connection lead down the back, connect and cut the first part

2. Purchase 2x FLS-PP drivers, cut the hue strip again into 2 pieces, connect each to the FLS-PP and plug each driver into its own plug top above the cupboard.

This saved me purchasing anymore LED strip and saves me about £60 over all.

please can somebody answer this, it would be great to know if im thinking along the right lines?

Thanks in advance

The FLS-PP will not drive Hue LED Ribon. The FLS-PP is a 4 channel controller and Hue is 5 channel Ribbon. If you want to use an FLS-PP then you need generic 5050 LED RGB or RGBW LED ribbon. Hue ribbon will only work with Hue controllers. Sorry.

Firstly - thanks for answering my plee :)
Secondly - thanks for the information, I had misunderstood flspp. If I have to buy 3 FLS-PP controllers and the ribbon it's not really any cheaper than buying the 3x Philips hue as original recommended and I clearly see why now.

Thanks again your answers have been really helpful throughout

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom