New TV 65" not OLED

Derkster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have had my Oled TV now for 4.5 years and it has gone in for a second repair under warranty. Although I can fault Oled I have decided that I fancy a change but to what?

If currys decide that my TV can't be fixed because of parts I will be offered a voucher. I don't know what the value of the voucher will be but if they do offer one I need to start looking.

So my remit is

65" or over
Between 1k to 2k
Not OLED
Need to come from Currys

I have had a look through this forum and read magazines but I always find the user the best source of information.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Assuming there's no nearby stock of the Q85R or Q70R (or you're not keen on Samsung) then the XG95 is your best bet.

That's about the last of the 2019 stock, most of the other ones are 2020 models which are much worse value at this time of year.

Assuming there's no nearby stock of the Q85R or Q70R (or you're not keen on Samsung) then the XG95 is your best bet.

That's about the last of the 2019 stock, most of the other ones are 2020 models which are much worse value at this time of year.

I'd go for the Sony over those Samsungs. Depending on the amount on the voucher go for the XH95. If you like the saturated colours of the Samsungs then I'd be tempted with the Q90R if they have any in stock.

Can i get some advice? Basically:

My voucher is for ÂŁ1100 so is am thinking of getting this TV Samsung QE65Q75TATXXU ÂŁ1499. Currys are doing a deal where it comes with a soundbar which is valued at ÂŁ150 which hopefully I could sell on and I could get a Samsung HW Q800T soundbar for ÂŁ400.

Does this sound like a good deal? I am not in an immediate rush and could hang on if anybody thinks that prices will be reduced.

Whats your opinion?

No, it's not.

It's a 2020 TV that's just been released so is currently at it's highest price. Significant reductions won't happen on these TV's historically until Black Friday.

A similarly or better spec 2019 TV will cost less as they're now being sold at their cheapest to make way for newer 2020 models, however, it's now at the stage where finding 2019 models is getting harder.

The TV's EndlessWaves has linked to are far superior although none of them will touch the blacks and dimming you get with OLED.

You don't mention how you watch your TV either, OLED has excellent off axis viewing whereas better quality LED TV's don't. The best LED TV's, like the ones EndlessWaves has linked to are all VA panels but for good viewing angles you'd need an IPS.
Watching an IPS panel after owning an OLED would make my eyes bleed.

Last edited:
I'd go for something Sony. Their motion is lovely.

No, it's not.

It's a 2020 TV that's just been released so is currently at it's highest price. Significant reductions won't happen on these TV's historically until Black Friday.

A similarly or better spec 2019 TV will cost less as they're now being sold at their cheapest to make way for newer 2020 models, however, it's now at the stage where finding 2019 models is getting harder.

The TV's EndlessWaves has linked to are far superior although none of them will touch the blacks and dimming you get with OLED.

You don't mention how you watch your TV either, OLED has excellent off axis viewing whereas better quality LED TV's don't. The best LED TV's, like the ones EndlessWaves has linked to are all VA panels but for good viewing angles you'd need an IPS.

I agree, just the TV on its own doesn't seem like a good deal but bundled with a soundbar etc looked attractive enough.

My main watching is Netflix. Sky Q etc I don't tend to watch blurays anymore, this was a driving factor of not having Oled. I do like Oled but fancied a bigger TV this time, unfortunately I can't afford a 65" Oled one.

This is on my list but it's on the top end of my budget so was looking at options

It's ÂŁ300 cheaper than the one you were looking at and far, far, superior.
A ÂŁ150 "free" soundbar you might get ÂŁ100 back for from selling doesn't make up for the fact that TV will be near half that price at this time next year.
The Sony we're saying is a cracking buy was ~ÂŁ2500 this time last year.

My main watching is Netflix. Sky Q etc I don't tend to watch blurays anymore, this was a driving factor of not having Oled. I do like Oled but fancied a bigger TV this time, unfortunately I can't afford a 65" Oled one.

It's not just what you watch, it's how you watch it.

Are you looking at the TV near head-on as if you're looking at a sharpish angle a good TV with a VA panel probably isn't going to work for you.

Also is your Netflix, Prime etc 4K as they also have HDR and good HDR is what you're paying for. If you have no use for HDR and don't believe you will with this TV then save a pile of money and buy a HiSense or something with perfectly decent picture quality but without decent dimming or a panel capable of decent HDR brightness.

Thanks for the above.

I was more interested in the Q800T soundbar to be honest as it had 400 quid off and had decent reviews, especially on this site. The 150 quid one was more of a bonus to take off the cost of the TV.

Regarding viewing angles, i will be sat face on but the missus is looking at an angle. She cant tell the difference between SD and 4K half the time! so i don't think she will be that bothered but i may end up sitting there at some point though.

I was looking at a Sony 65HX9505BU at ÂŁ1899, can you tell me which one you are referring to?

I was in the same position as you 3-4 weeks ago, my 65" Panny CR852 4k LCD tv developed a fault after 4yrs 3 months I had paid ÂŁ1499 from Currys with 5yr warranty. They picked it up but couldn't repair it so gave me a ÂŁ1050 e-gift voucher which would have got me a new 65" 4k LCD tv.

However I wanted an OLED and bought a Panny 65GZ950 from them for ÂŁ1799 and couldn't be happier the picture quality is outstanding, I don't think I could go back to LCD now after using an OLED for 3 weeks. :D

I know, the Pannys are out of stock now so it would be LG OLED65B9.

But if i was to get this i would probably get the Sony instead, again its still at the end of my budget. I would still need to put ÂŁ800 to these TV's

Yes looked at that but they are now out of stock.

They have the kd65xh8096bu though for ÂŁ1100

Forget this model. Its not what I am looking for

Last edited:
Bear in mind that in Samsungs only the 2020 Q8 and above have local dimming (2019 Q7 and above had). If you go from an OLED to an LCD set without local dimming you will regret it.

I enjoyed my old OLED and my neighbour has one of the newer LG's but i will sitting 12ft away from the screen and I just think a 55" will just not be big enough. Talk about a first world problem LOL...!

Look at the Sony Refutb centre. 65" OLED AG8 for ÂŁ1400

No, it's not.

The samsungs above Q80 have ultra wide angle filter, also some SONY models, but I don't know which ones right now

At viewing angles on those models there is no problem at all

I'd go for the Sony over those Samsungs. Depending on the amount on the voucher go for the XH95. If you like the saturated colours of the Samsungs then I'd be tempted with the Q90R if they have any in stock.

Like any TV it can be adjusted, and I think that the theme of samsung and saturated colors has long since passed into history.

Now if you buy it and put the dynamic mode it's a problem of the owner not of the TV.

Even less in the 2020 models that have filmmaker mode.

Thanks mate

I do like the Sonys but it seems i am buying the TV and the worst possible time. Its just a pity that I couldn't have got one if the 2019 models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom