New TV after 10 Years & Sound System - Final Advice Needed

cnagra1

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a whole new setup for my living room. 55inch is the biggest I can honestly go.. and I've narrowed it down to either LG or Sony OLED.

It seems for performance and features it’s LG, but for OS and motion it’s a Sony. Both my two current TVs are Sony and been ok.. but not brilliant. The best thing about my current living room Sony LED TV is its still works well after 10 years.

I’ll be using it for mainly watching sports (Cricket, Football, NFL, F1), movies from a NAS, and vary rarely PS4 gameplay (have no plans to purchase a PS5 for a few years).

I stream across Plex, Netflix (UHD Sub), Amazon and IPTV, and currently have a standard SkyQ Sub (Which I will upgrade).

Viewing angle: The TV is located in the corner of a rectangle on a TV cabinet, angled towards two sofas in a L shape.

Anyone recommend me the ideal TV?... or as someone mentioned is it best to wait another year after disappointments of 2020 OLED range.

Finally I will be upgrading my current Yamaha 5.1 amp and speakers to the new Sonos 5.1. So want a TV that will be compatible and get the most out of that?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Philips OLED754 about the only good value OLED left now, available at Crampton and Moore and Peter Tyson when I last checked. Philips are similar to Sony, strength is with motion.

If you don't fancy that, wait to buy at a later time. Black Friday 2020 being the absolute soonest.

Btw, Sony's strength is not with OS. They run Android TV which is probably the worst OS of all. LG by comparison have the most favored OS in WebOS.

Thanks for the feedback. I have never owned a Phillips, despite the cost saving is it worth waiting to see if LG or Sony have stock closer to Black Friday? I am happy to wait as I hope this will be my main TV for many years.

Really interesting to hear your feedback on Android iOS... I just assumed it would be the best as its built by Google, and they would ensure the hardware is good enough to run it.

You've now got me really interested in Phillips TVs, something I never considered. Opinions on Philips 55OLED805?

Thanks for the feedback. I have never owned a Phillips, despite the cost saving is it worth waiting to see if LG or Sony have stock closer to Black Friday?
Sony tend to keep prices higher. The LG BX may be a similar price come Black Friday.
Really interesting to hear your feedback on Android iOS... I just assumed it would be the best as its built by Google, and they would ensure the hardware is good enough to run it.
Its not as bad as it used to be. Android TVs from both Philips and Sony had under powered chipsets. Now the chipsets are more up to date and software is more up to date too, but the OS is still very poor and intuitive compared to other platforms.

The Philips OLED754 runs its own in house smart TV though. Not android.
You've now got me really interested in Phillips TVs, something I never considered. Opinions on Philips 55OLED805?
Philips models with the suffix 5 are 2020 models, and thus will be expensive to buy right now. Last years 804/834/854 (all 8 series) would be better value, but likely sold out by now. If you want a 2020 model you are best waiting until Black Friday, possibly later.

Thanks for the feedback. I have never owned a Phillips, despite the cost saving is it worth waiting to see if LG or Sony have stock closer to Black Friday? I am happy to wait as I hope this will be my main TV for many years.

Sony are up to Android 9.0 now and it's excellent, fast, organised and easy to navigate. I have no idea why it still gets negative comments. Personally I'd wait for this year's OLEDs to come down in price and look for Panasonic, Sony and LG, and probably in that order.

Any opinions on skipping this years models and waiting for next, as they have been a bit of a disappointment... I read that not one TV has hit all the buttons we was expecting (e.g. HDMI 2.1, HDR10+). Overall.. it seems LG is the closest to being the best all rounder?

Any opinions on skipping this years models and waiting for next, as they have been a bit of a disappointment... I read that not one TV has hit all the buttons we was expecting (e.g. HDMI 2.1, HDR10+). Overall.. it seems LG is the closest to being the best all rounder?

I can't remember a year when there was ever the full tv package. If you aren't desperate for a new set it never hurts to wait to see what's new next year.

Nah not desperate, as its a new setup after 10 years want to get it right (also the expense).

Sony: Having had a Sony for 10 years, for me it seems they are a good solid brand that always do well. But the issue is the HDMI 2.1 was missing on the 2020 models.
Panasonic: No offence to them, but their design is pretty horrible.
Phillips: This is one I never considered, so need to learn and read about them.
LG: Expensive, but seems to be the one most people recommend. No sideloading apps, and no HDR10+

Nah not desperate, as its a new setup after 10 years want to get it right (also the expense).

Sony: Having had a Sony for 10 years, for me it seems they are a good solid brand that always do well. But the issue is the HDMI 2.1 was missing on the 2020 models.
Panasonic: No offence to them, but their design is pretty horrible.
Phillips: This is one I never considered, so need to learn and read about them.
LG: Expensive, but seems to be the one most people recommend. No sideloading apps, and no HDR10+

Sony is my preference as I prefer the natural image and superb motion that you get.

Panasonic OLEDs give amazing dark room viewing but the operating system isn't brilliant.

Samsung seem to have lost it a bit this year and the LG OLEDs have reports of technical issues with it's gaming picture tearing. If you are happy to wait and are looking at the top end models I'd see what next year has to offer. I'm not fussed about HDMI 2.1 as I don't game so if you're not a big gamer maybe see what is coming out in 2021 and if it's not worth waiting for prices to fall try to bag a 2020 model which by that time will be at rock bottom prices.

Think this is what Ill end up doing. Technical question... is HDMI 2.1 vs 2.0 hardware difference or software? For example, is it something Sony may update their TV's to handle, or is that not possible?

For example, is it something Sony may update their TV's to handle, or is that not possible?
Its a mix of both, for all features, namely VRR physical HDMI 2.1 ports are required. Some features otherwise can be bolted on to HDMI 2.0 ports.

With Sony, only the XH90 has promised HDMI 2.1 support. The other TVs, including more expensive Sony models have a limitation in chipset design which means they can't have the full set of features.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom