New Tv Help

Ok been to currys previously didnt seem to help but i might try again if i can get some time off to go there.

had a look at the Philips OLED754 but found one review that said the cons against the tv were " Saphi interface can be a chore and Motion settings need fine tuning ". As i had problems with the motion on the samsung i think this one might be out of the running.
Saphi is one of the shortfalls going for a budget OLED and is one of the reasons I suggested looking at the more premium models. With a strict budget you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

Motion on the Philips is very good, you can expect to tweak motion on every TV now. The fact you have to tweak it has no bearance on how good the motion is on a TV.

So is your budget £1100 or not? Because if it is you can't consider TVs like the C9.

budget is £1100 but if its worth stretching i can.
Stretching to what? As Dodgexander et al have said, there are compromises that have to be made with your budget and some sets are completely out of reach.

The classifieds might be a better bet for a used higher end model from last year's ranges.

PS- if you discount things solely on a line in a review which mentions a specific issue, you're not going to make any progress at all. Reviews are subjective, susceptible to bias and prejudice, and in some sources are funded by the manufacturers. There is no substitute for your own eyes.

things i need in a tv,

1. good freeview sd/hd (or as best as i can get),
2. good 4k(only 4k i have access to is xbox one x and ps4 pro as my internet is too slow for 4k),
3. good interface but doesnt need to have all the apps as i can use my now tv box etc,
4. good motion, good 720p/1080p upscaling as i watch things through kodi on my mini pc.
5. 55" because when i went back to my old 42" is was way too small.

these are the main things i need in a tv.

Stretching to what? As Dodgexander et al have said, there are compromises that have to be made with your budget and some sets are completely out of reach.

The classifieds might be a better bet for a used higher end model from last year's ranges.

PS- if you discount things solely on a line in a review which mentions a specific issue, you're not going to make any progress at all. Reviews are subjective, susceptible to bias and prejudice, and in some sources are funded by the manufacturers. There is no substitute for your own eyes.

You are probably right, well i know you are, budget can stretch to 1300-1500 depending if i get a full refund for the tv i have sent back. Only place i can go and look is currys but its no exactly near me.

You are probably right, well i know you are, budget can stretch to 1300-1500 depending if i get a full refund for the tv i have sent back. Only place i can go and look is currys but its no exactly near me.
I've had another look at your requirements above and I'd recommend a Sony XF or XG9x series. My usage is similar in the living room (TV, Xbox, occasional film, wide angle viewing, well lit room) and I can't fault my 55" XE9005 which I picked up used from this forum about 18 months ago. I'm delighted with it.

Yup I think in the bottom end you need to look at LCD TVs like the Sony XG9505 or XF9005 but you get narrower viewing angles than the Samsung Q85R.

With OLEDs on a strict budget the Philips OLED754 is by far the best choice.

Pushing over budget your next best options to get both an OLED and the best picture processing you need to think about the Panasonic GZ950 or Sony AG8.

At the moment if i stretch my budget i have been looking at the Panasonic 55" GZ950 whats your thoughts.

budget is £1100 but if its worth stretching i can.
Having read through the thread I suspect you're suffering feature creep and possibly unrealistic expectations on the SD/Freeview front. Also I'm not sure you're properly taking audio into the equation. Especially with the Sony, you'd want to spend £1-200 on a half decent soundbar (JBL Bar 2.0 or M Acoustics M3) so your TV budget is likely closer to £900. At that price I'd have gone for the Samsung Q80R but since you didn't get on with the Q85R then the Sony is likely the next best choice. You should be able to push 65" at that price point, might be a better idea than a smaller entry level OLED?

I'm rocking the Sony 55XF9005 paired with the JBL Bar 2.0 and I've absolutely zero complaints having myselft just come from a 42" Panasonic plasma display. I'm finding Android TV 8.0 (Oreo) a pleasure to work with, very user friendly even for tenchophobe family members. Unplugged the sound bar once for a test and - never again - nowhere near the old Panny's audio quality. TV is serviceable under SD (noticeable pixelation on the morning local BBC news) and just plain outstanding in HD/UHD/HDR. The picture and sound in this setup is far far superior to the Panny it's replaced.

Depends. Some is highly compressed and won't look great on anything but some will be fine.
Generally, you throw better content at it and it just goes from good to amazing
I'm guessing this will be broadly the same for any TV at this price point regardless of make/model? Probably not wildly different from the OPs previous Q85R?

I'm guessing this will be broadly the same for any TV at this price point regardless of make/model? Probably not wildly different from the OPs previous Q85R?

Absolutely, and of course poor content can look worse on bigger TVs so cheaper or older smaller TVs can look better, but I just think good quality TVs like the q85r or an oled deserve quality content...

Having read through the thread I suspect you're suffering feature creep and possibly unrealistic expectations on the SD/Freeview front. Also I'm not sure you're properly taking audio into the equation. Especially with the Sony, you'd want to spend £1-200 on a half decent soundbar (JBL Bar 2.0 or M Acoustics M3) so your TV budget is likely closer to £900. At that price I'd have gone for the Samsung Q80R but since you didn't get on with the Q85R then the Sony is likely the next best choice. You should be able to push 65" at that price point, might be a better idea than a smaller entry level OLED?

I'm rocking the Sony 55XF9005 paired with the JBL Bar 2.0 and I've absolutely zero complaints having myselft just come from a 42" Panasonic plasma display. I'm finding Android TV 8.0 (Oreo) a pleasure to work with, very user friendly even for tenchophobe family members. Unplugged the sound bar once for a test and - never again - nowhere near the old Panny's audio quality. TV is serviceable under SD (noticeable pixelation on the morning local BBC news) and just plain outstanding in HD/UHD/HDR. The picture and sound in this setup is far far superior to the Panny it's replaced.

Thanks for the advice, 55" is as big as i can go, Looked at the 55xg9005 but the viewing angle could be a problem.

Been looking at the Panasonic 55GZ950B but how does it compare to the LG C9 anyone know.

It's worth taking the time to re-read your thread. There are various thoughts and comparisons with the GZ950 already. I can't really add more than I have already. The info is there if you look for it!

So i went and had a look at currys today, all showing their own demo 4k content, asked one of the guys there for some help and he called over the Panasonic rep and he said the Panasonic is the best obviously but did say the panasonic was best for movies but the lg was better for gaming.

So i went and had a look at currys today, all showing their own demo 4k content, asked one of the guys there for some help and he called over the Panasonic rep and he said the Panasonic is the best obviously but did say the panasonic was best for movies but the lg was better for gaming.

Did you look at the viewing angles at all? What did you think? You've had a lot of advice on here from Dodge. Did you manage to look at any of the sets you have mentioned or him? Manage to ask for a remote and have a play to see what you this of the OS response etc?
You've mentioned you can't do much until it's clarified about a refund etc so what's the rush.

Had a look at a lot of the tvs mentioned, hard to tell because of the way its organised in there you cant really stand back from them because you have another tv behind you, the viewing angle seemed good but i could only stand back maybe half a metre at most. Only the demos were being shown. Some of the tvs were at different heights also so not great way to compare them. The guy was more interested in listing all the features the tvs had and turning the volume up to the max. One of the problems i had with the tv i sent back was the audio so i used a soundbar but in currys there was no real way to test the sound eg talking on a tv program as all they had to show was the demos.

Got a question if anyone can answer, on one of the other threads on this forum somebody said if you previously had a plasma you should go for a oled is this true or just an opinion as i currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma.

Looking for a new tv, upgrading from a 9 year old 42"Panasonic, looking at either a 49/50" or 55", will be using it for various things like freeview sd/hd, Xbox one x, 4k movies and blu ray. Still watch a bit of standard definition freeview so looking for a tv that will show it well, also worried about viewing angles, budget is under £1000 but cheaper if possible just in case i need a soundbar, only place i can view tvs locally is currys pc world. any help would be appreciated.
Go for a samsung stay away from OLED my screen goes green every six months. 1 more time they will have to write it off and give me vouchers. Got the 5 year cover from currys

Got a question if anyone can answer, on one of the other threads on this forum somebody said if you previously had a plasma you should go for a oled is this true or just an opinion as i currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma.
You just have to look at how the technologies work. OLEDs are similar to Plasma TVs because they each can dim every single pixel which LCD TVs cannot.

The similarities basically end there.

I like the panasonic one at the moment because i have read a lot of reviews saying that its good straight out of box, i like simple sometimes. Just wondering if what the panasonic rep at currys said is true that the lg is better for gaming and the Panasonic better for movies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom