New UMIK mic released November 2020

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted already, but minidsp are releasing an upgrade to their UMIK-1 mic.

I'll be getting one of these when Cross Spectrum release their version.

Do we know what the differences are between this and the old?

According to the marketing, lower noise, lower distortion and higher sample rates, so should be more accurate, or at least it's capable of being more accurate.

EDIT: Whether that matters for in room measurements and sub calibration, I'm not sure.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but minidsp are releasing an upgrade to their UMIK-1 mic.

When I looked at marketing material I saw that they plan to introduce auto EQ option for REW and both new and old Umik. That might be interesting option for noob like me.

If that’s this: Room EQ Wizard (REW) then that’s already available and is the primary way of using REW.

If that’s this: Room EQ Wizard (REW) then that’s already available and is the primary way of using REW.
That shows how much I have to learn about it :D

I have only used it so far to find optimal spot for my sub. But soon I will be doing more in depth dive with the need to deal with two subwoofers and minidsp and trying to align and to set crossovers on speakers etc.

The tooling available in REW now makes it significantly easier to integrate multiple subs (specifically duals). Make a thread or use the REW thread when you’re ready. Tag me if you want and I’ll help out.

The tooling available in REW now makes it significantly easier to integrate multiple subs (specifically duals). Make a thread or use the REW thread when you’re ready. Tag me if you want and I’ll help out.
That is great. Thank you very much. I will do that.

They have also released the Umik-X Multi Channel Microphone for those who can't deal with moving their measurement microphone to multiple positions :)

Jeez. In my experience, taking the measurements isn't what takes the time with MSO!

I'll be getting one of these when Cross Spectrum release their version.

I'll be interested to see how it compares when you do :) . Just a simple anbiant noiseeasurement with each microphone would be interesting.

My gut feeling is that for practical applications the differences won't make much of a difference but for things like distortion measurement the better performance could really help.

Not just the multichannel mic, there's a Pro upgrade for REW now.

Initially it's just the ability to take multiple measurements with a mic array, but there may be future pro only upgrades.

If that $100 is a lifetime pro upgrade them it might be worth jumping on it now while it's a relatively low price. It could well go up when more features are added. The flip is that no features are added in the pro only mode.

That said, for me at least (and many others I'm sure) $100 is amazing value for REW.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom