Newbie Advice - Recommend me a Projector

B4rrie H

Novice Member
Hi All
I am a newbie to this and looking for advice to install a 4k Projector into my Lounge area.
I have been looking at advice on ansi lumens, foot lamberts etc but getting slightly technical for me.

My parameters are below

Projector will be ceiling hung (I plan to connect a 4k Fire Stick to it)
Approx. 4.2m throw distance
Ideally 120 inch manual retractable screen (Ceiling hung)
Works well in mid level of light (shutting curtains in the day etc) - ideally 3000 Lumens or above?
Fan not too noisy but speakers adequate for a room approx. 25-30m2
Good Bulb life, hopefully not too expensive to run - what Bulb sort do yo think?
Budget - ideally no more than £750 plus the Screen

Any recommendations please let me know? I can provide other measures if you need them.
regards
Barrie

noob0101

Hi All
I am a newbie to this and looking for advice to install a 4k Projector into my Lounge area.
I have been looking at advice on ansi lumens, foot lamberts etc but getting slightly technical for me.

My parameters are below

Projector will be ceiling hung (I plan to connect a 4k Fire Stick to it)
Approx. 4.2m throw distance
Ideally 120 inch manual retractable screen (Ceiling hung)
Works well in mid level of light (shutting curtains in the day etc) - ideally 3000 Lumens or above?
Fan not too noisy but speakers adequate for a room approx. 25-30m2
Good Bulb life, hopefully not too expensive to run - what Bulb sort do yo think?
Budget - ideally no more than £750 plus the Screen

Any recommendations please let me know? I can provide other measures if you need them.
regards
Barrie
You're not going to get a 4K projector, not to mention a screen in that budget. Maybe used.

The most relevant part of projection setup is knowing what effect light has on the picture. Basically ambient light will have a negative effect on picture quality, particularly the dark parts.

Even if you have complete light control from windows and light fixtures the reflections from walls will still affect the image:

A screen size should only be chosen after being used for a few weeks on the wall.

What is the seating distance?

So it depends. If the room can be treated, if the budget can be increased, if you're fine with 1080p, if there is any gaming, etc.

B4rrie H

Novice Member
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Budget £ can be increased if needed.
The seating distance will be around the 10-15 feet range.
I can hold off on a screen for now and review once I have the projector working.
Its mostly going to be used for movie nights or maybe connecting an xbox console to it.
Where is best generally to buy a projector online?

noob0101

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Budget £ can be increased if needed.
The seating distance will be around the 10-15 feet range.
I can hold off on a screen for now and review once I have the projector working.
Its mostly going to be used for movie nights or maybe connecting an xbox console to it.
Where is best generally to buy a projector online?
What color are the walls? If they are light can they be treated?
Treating the room will benefit any projector, but most of all those that are capable of good black level.

What kind of games?

A very general ratio is 10-12" in diagonal for every foot in distance. You can do the math with what the seating distance is.

Without knowing exactly the seating distance a model can't be suggested since they have different specifications.

For example a Benq TK800M can't throw a screen up to 126" diagonal from 420cm:

It also has poor blacks.

The TW7100 has somewhat better blacks and can throw a screen of up to 144" from 420cm:

The TW6700 is the previous generation, but the calculator is still accurate.

The TW9400 can throw a picture of ~140", and has good black level.

The Epsons mentioned have lag in the mid 20's, the Benq mid 40's.

The Viewsonic PX747 4K is similar to the TK800M.

B4rrie H

Novice Member
The walls are a grey colour and white ceiling. The seating is 12 foot from the screen.
My son plays Star Wars Battlefront mostly on the Xbox one and maybe Fifa.

What minimum Ansi Lumens would you recommend?
What's the best option in HD options ideally up to £1k?

noob0101

The walls are a grey colour and white ceiling. The seating is 12 foot from the screen.
My son plays Star Wars Battlefront mostly on the Xbox one and maybe Fifa.

What minimum Ansi Lumens would you recommend?
What's the best option in HD options ideally up to £1k?
If you're looking for projectors by how many ansi lumens they claim to have, this is the wrong approach. Lumen value should be taken from tests/reviews. For example a DLP projector like the TK800M can claim that it has 3000 lumens, but the value that comes close to that is it's higest setting, which usually has a green tint, in most projectors.
The regular settings sit under 2000 lumens, ~1600 in TK800M's case.

The Epson TW6700 for 1080p or TW7100 for 4K. But the latter is over 1K.

Epson projectors are 3LCD and have a lag of ~20 and 30ms. But some people don't like the look of the kind of image they project. Right now I don't think you can go in a showroom to see.

Internet videos are not the best way to judge picture quality:

noob0101

Some people might recommend DLP projectors, but I don't know if they are bright enough.

From 12' the general ratio results in a screen from 120 to 144" in diagonal.

For a screen larger then 120" I don't think something like the Optoma UHD300x (4K, 50ms lag), Benq W1070/W1110/W1120/W2000 or other similarly bright projectors are bright enough.
These DLP projectors mentioned have an RGBRGB color wheel. DLP projectors with other types of color wheels claim they offer higher brightness in exchange for less color accuracy, but that is only for the highest brightness setting, which has a green tint. In regular modes they are sometimes dimmer then RGBRGB models.

For example the TW6700/TW7100 is twice as bright as a W1070 or Optoma HD27.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Amazon Prime Video in August 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom