MickEire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Building my first proper home theater setup, speakers I have so far are :

Q Acoustics 3050 for front left and right
Q Acoustics 3090ci for center
Q Acoustics 3010 for rear left and right
Q Acoustics 7000i for Atmos height

I've no AV receiver yet (roll on black Friday!), Probably go for the Denon 2700 or Sony 1080

My question is for the subwoofer, I'm not sure what to get, due to my less than ideal room layout it has to go in the corner behind the tv and I was looking at some options

Q acoustics SB 12
BK p12-300sb Downward firing
BK XXls400 Downward firing
Any opinions on these, is there anything cheaper and better, and would the p12 be fine and save some cash?

My last system was a computer speaker set up (Logitech z5500)! ,but it was fairly impressive for what it was and had a big subwoofer but I'm hoping for an improvement!
New to all this so any input would be very welcome !!!

Most people would definitely pick BK models over QA, not that it would be bad product just that you won´t get similar support as from dedicated manufacturer. If the amp fails you can repair it quite cheaply as we have seen from members who has 10year old BK subs, where as you will pay lot more for QA for new amp as i doubt they won´t repair them. After sale value with BK should be better also.

Don´t buy Sony 1080. It´s 2017 model where as X2700H is latest. Yamaha RX-V6A would be great alternative aswell, just released so hopefully BF time you see some offers. If you aren´t going to buy the new gaming consoles (PS5, XBOX Serie X) consider the 2019 model Denon X2600H for 469£ (Peter Tyson) as you don´t gain much from the HDMI 2.1 input.. 8K tv´s are far away. That price is still bit high so hopefully they have lot of stock and lower the price by BF!

346£ for brand new grade-b BK P12! These are in mint condition with full warranty. Seller is BKE, just different channel. This would be ideal for you, DF model and in satin black which looks nice. 356£ shipped!

Few XXLS400 too at 400£ mark.

The BK P12 has auto on/off feature which XXLS400 doesn´t have unless you ask them to build one which costs little extra. As you will be putting the sub behind tv i think the feature will be wanted, unless you keep the sub always on.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Another +1 for BK, I got the xxls400 with my qacoustic setup and more than happy with it. Also check out BK on ebay for grade B stock to save some pennies and still get warranty.
Edit: see @Gasp3621 has already recommended the grade b's from ebay.

That's great, thanks for the advice lads,I think I'll go for the bk. I had found the eBay page and liked the prices (sort of - it's the most expensive speaker I've got, why is it so pricey!) I'll probably have it for years so I don't want to get the wrong one, delivery to Ireland is reasonable as well. Am I right in thinking it is better with the downward firing seeing as it's going behind the amp and center speaker which will be on a TV stand ?

That's great, thanks for the advice lads,I think I'll go for the bk. I had found the eBay page and liked the prices (sort of - it's the most expensive speaker I've got, why is it so pricey!) I'll probably have it for years so I don't want to get the wrong one, delivery to Ireland is reasonable as well. Am I right in thinking it is better with the downward firing seeing as it's going behind the amp and center speaker which will be on a TV stand ?

So pricey? It´s deal of the century at 346£ as that model is beating many +500£ woofers, so you get amazing bang for buck! You won´t regret purchasing good sub that`s for sure, if you cheap out you will find yourself looking upgrade soon.. DF sounds ideal, driver not too close to gear then.

The price was a bit of a suprise as my 3050 floorstanders were £320, but I suppose the sub has a amp built in so it's good value :) ,now to look at AV recievers, I'll probably go for the Denon. Was going to go for the 2700 but I think the new denons/ Marantz have issues with the 8k and 4k120 that are hardware related - would I be losing anything going with the 2600 and using earc from the TV?

The price was a bit of a suprise as my 3050 floorstanders were £320, but I suppose the sub has a amp built in so it's good value :) ,now to look at AV recievers, I'll probably go for the Denon. Was going to go for the 2700 but I think the new denons/ Marantz have issues with the 8k and 4k120 that are hardware related - would I be losing anything going with the 2600 and using earc from the TV?

Not really, if you have hdmi 2.1 inputs on tv (LG, Sony?) then you could connect the new console to tv directly and with eARC you get sound from receiver.. This is bit silly year as the models came so late and the prices never drop as low as last year. Example X2500H went 299£ at lowest, now X2600H goes 469£ and X2700H 599£ i think. Dirty prices! Shame you missed 3600 cause that would have been worth the extra bucks (MultEQ XT32), but come January and X3700H will drop 2-300£ like the earlier model did. Not the best time buy receiver, but maybe black friday brings some better deals..

PS. Don´t think too long with the sub as they go usually so fast and then it sucks to wait..

Bk for the sub then ! , Is the extra for the 400 worth it?, I heard that the p12 leans towards movies and the 400 towards music, thinking about it it will be used for about 95 percent movies..., Does one sub go lower than the other or are the roughly the same? I have it narrowed down to these two !

Bk for the sub then ! , Is the extra for the 400 worth it?, I heard that the p12 leans towards movies and the 400 towards music, thinking about it it will be used for about 95 percent movies..., Does one sub go lower than the other or are the roughly the same? I have it narrowed down to these two !

That is just some forum talk.. With the XXLS400: we have added some LRC to electronicaly adjust the system Q to 0.7 and add some gentle lift to help it plumb the depth. In fact these tweaks makes the system act like a subwoofer twice it's size

That and the fact it has better driver and 100w extra power makes it slightly better for everything. For 50£ extra. So it´s really up to you. There is no real world measurement comparison for both to see is one clearly better than another. As i said you don`t get the auto on/off feature on XXLS400 unless you pay for it. So you would have to run click the sub off every time or leave it on which i did with my BK.. If you are kind of type to regret easily afterwards then pick the XXLS400.

They just added the light oak XXLS400-DF and then there is the black ash DF.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom