No details if the existing ethernet adapter will work with this stick. Can't see why it wouldn't though.

Clem

Given the low selection of 4K content on Amazon Prime, and the way much of the actual 4K content is buried on my TV, Xbox and other Prime apps it seems to be a bit pointless.

Amazon has a terrible system of giving users 4K. Netflix just has one copy of each show - which shows in HD on HD kit, and 4K on 4K kit. Amazon has two versions of each show, the HD and the 4K, and doesn't make it clear when the 4K one exists or where it could be found. They need to seriously look at this.

It undercuts the Roku 4K Stick and is priced similar to the new 4K Now TV Box, however both still falls short on the number of apps that are available compared to the Roku. (Although Dolby Vision is a plus point)

Bill

It undercuts the Roku 4K Stick and is priced similar to the new 4K Now TV Box, however both still falls short on the number of apps that are available compared to the Roku. (Although Dolby Vision is a plus point)

Bill
I use all of 10 apps on my Roku all of which are available on the Fire. The rest are pretty pointless or niche.

Problem with the new Fire is the lack of material in DV, Dolby Atmos or HDR 10+. Hardware is fine at a keen price.

I think where will be plenty of people on here that may not see Amazon Video as being that great... and plenty of others that do like it, for me, this announcement isn't about how good Amazon Video is... for me, it's where this is leading... Amazon is making it's move... and it's wants to win...

I have a BT UHD box... I am still waiting for the promised Amazon Video app, the box will also NEVER support Dolby Vision, and even though BT launched their UHD service 3 years ago, there is no HDR of ANY KIND... SKY, still no HDR, visit the SKY forums you can read the frustration of users waiting for SKY to implement it...

This for me is about how SLOW the UK telcos have been, Amazon have launched the Fire TV Recast in the US, and plan to add advert removal and content discovery features... and they will...

We know Amazon have started to acquire sporting rights, we know they have hired a head of live programming... right now it does not matter about how good Amazon Video is... the fact that they support HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG, and Dolby Atmos on this new hardware means that all the other apps can now start using the hardware...

...very different approach to the drip feeding of features from UK telcos... well maybe BT will get around to supporting HLG in 2019... but then maybe take another 3 years to add another HDR format...

Netflix and Amazon are running circles around the traditional telcos... who need to up their game, or in the same way that Amazon has pretty much destroyed the traditional high street, they will come to dominate the TV scene, why??? Because there is NO competition...

Rant over, now making a cup of tea...

Last edited:
Even more of a bargain on Black Friday week, probably half price.

It’s only released on 14 November so I’d guess a reduction is more likely on Black Friday 2019, or maybe one of the amazon prime days next year.

I think where will be plenty of people on here that may not see Amazon Video as being that great... and plenty of others that do like it, for me, this announcement isn't about how good Amazon Video is... for me, it's where this is leading... Amazon is making it's move... and it's wants to win...

I have a BT UHD box... I am still waiting for the promised Amazon Video app, the box will also NEVER support Dolby Vision, and even though BT launched their UHD service 3 years ago, there is no HDR of ANY KIND... SKY, still no HDR, visit the SKY forums you can read the frustration of users waiting for SKY to implement it...

This for me is about how SLOW the UK telcos have been, Amazon have launched the Fire TV Recast in the US, and plan to add advert removal and content discovery features... and they will...

We know Amazon have started to acquire sporting rights, we know they have hired a head of live programming... right now it does not matter about how good Amazon Video is... the fact that they support HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG, and Dolby Atmos on this new hardware means that all the other apps can now start using the hardware...

...very different approach to the drip feeding of features from UK telcos... well maybe BT will get around to supporting HLG in 2019... but then maybe take another 3 years to add another HDR format...

Netflix and Amazon are running circles around the traditional telcos... who need to up their game, or in the same way that Amazon has pretty much destroyed the traditional high street, they will come to dominate the TV scene, why??? Because there is NO competition...

Rant over, now making a cup of tea...

I have the standard BT Youview box and the Amazon app popped up about a month ago, so I would have thought the UHD box would also have got it.

Check in your settings to make sure apps are set to auto update just in case it got turned off for some reason.

Bill

There is an issue with releasing the Amazon App on the UHD boxes, release has been put back to mid-October... I'm expecting the date to slip again...

It is more about downward pressure on 4K HDR etc media players, streamers on price

Given the low selection of 4K content on Amazon Prime, and the way much of the actual 4K content is buried on my TV, Xbox and other Prime apps it seems to be a bit pointless.

Amazon has a terrible system of giving users 4K. Netflix just has one copy of each show - which shows in HD on HD kit, and 4K on 4K kit. Amazon has two versions of each show, the HD and the 4K, and doesn't make it clear when the 4K one exists or where it could be found. They need to seriously look at this.
I find it very bizarre that Amazon would release this and utterly dump all over their own UHD. There have been many threads on this, so I wont repeat too much, but if they release this without a better app with easy to find Amazon content? Ugh, it's the worst case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing of any tech company in the world. Ever. Their app is honest to goodness an unfathomably bad joke.

Fair play, the spec on this looks tremendous for the price!

YouTube HDR support at all?
Ah yeah they're still feuding with Google over YouTube so you have to use the Firefox browser.
I'll stick with my Roku SS+, although I have to use my UHD player to be able to watch Amazon UHD content (when I can find it).
It's a shame these companies can't sort their disagreements out as both the Roku and the Firestick are more than capable of playing the available apps in 4K HDR, but their bickering means something always gets hobbled and the customer ends up frustrated and having to resort to multiple devices to play back content.

I absolutely detest the UI on both the Prime Video app (regardless of platform) and the Fire Stick. Absolutley terrible experience.

It's a shame that there is no (in my view anyway) perfect streaming player that supports 4k, all the HDR formats, Atmos, all the main Apps (BBC, ITV/STV, All4, Demand 5, YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, NowTV etc) and has a user friendly/customisable UI.

I absolutely detest the UI on both the Prime Video app (regardless of platform) and the Fire Stick. Absolutley terrible experience.

It's a shame that there is no (in my view anyway) perfect streaming player that supports 4k, all the HDR formats, Atmos, all the main Apps (BBC, ITV/STV, All4, Demand 5, YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, NowTV etc) and has a user friendly/customisable UI.

Each service s trying to grab the market with what's called the walled garden, you have to have their device.

If any are interested this device is a Mediatek SoC . More hardware break down here
Amazon Launches $50 Fire TV Stick 4K Powered by MediaTek MT8695 SoC

Well I've pre-ordered for November 14th. The Cousins get theirs a couple of weeks before so can report if there are any issues.

So I take it the fire tv cube isn't coming to the UK?

Any idea how this compares to the amazon fire tv with hdr? Any benefit of getting the new fire stick and selling the fire tv?

Am I right in believing that none of these players supports Dolby Vision, HLG and Amazon Video (except NVIDIA Shield which is the only one AFAIK to have the official app).

Am I right in believing that none of these players supports Dolby Vision, HLG and Amazon Video (except NVIDIA Shield which is the only one AFAIK to have the official app).
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K specifications:

SoC – Mediatek MT8695 quad core Arm processor @ up to 1.7 GHz with Imagination PowerVR GE8300MP4 GPU supporting OpenGL 3.2 and Vulcan 1.1
System Memory – 1.5 GB DDR4
Storage – 8GB flash, no micro SD card
Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0b up to 4K UHD @ 60 Hz with HDCP 2.2, Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+ support.
Video Codecs
10-bit H.265 up to 4K @ 60 fps (35 Mbps max)
MPEG-2 up to 1080p60
H.263, H.264, VP8, MPEG4 up to 1080p30
VP9 up to TBD (but likely 4K60 + HDR support)
Audio Features – Dolby Atmos 7.1, Dolby Audio 5.1 pass through via HDMI
Connectivity – 802.11ac WiFi (i.e. WiFi 5) 2×2 MIMO + Bluetooth 5.0 via MediaTek MT7668, optional 10/100M Ethernet USB adapter
USB – 1x micro USB 2.0 port
DRM – Widevine L1/L3, PlayReady 3.0
Power Supply – External PSU
Dimensions – 90 x 30 x 14 mm
Weight – 53.6 grams

I've got the basic version of this stick and had rather lost track of what the 4K version does. Also didn't know about HDR10+.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom