My 4K stick is connected directly to a Yamaha receiver. I've suddenly started to get audible crackling when navigating around the Youtube top menu. Playing files is OK but crackles as I navigate the menu. The same app is fine on a Roku connected in the same way.

Anyone else with similar, or a solution, before I re-download the app?

Mine is also connected to the back of my RX-A1070 and navigating through the screens I do get an audible "click" because I haven't disabled this in settings. Any chance this is what you are getting?

Mine is also connected to the back of my RX-A1070 and navigating through the screens I do get an audible "click" because I haven't disabled this in settings. Any chance this is what you are getting?
No it is more of a staticky crackle. It's not the standard clicks.

How about using a different hdmi connection on your AVR?
Just using Roku instead now. Switching stuff around the back of my AVR is like a trek through the jungle.

Watching Jack Ryan season 2 at the moment and have had to switch back to the internal app in my C7. The lip sync is not right through the Firestick, only seems to affect this series and I can’t find a way to correct it. It’s perfect with the C7s app.
Its very odd. I don’t understand what’s going on.

Watching Jack Ryan season 2 at the moment and have had to switch back to the internal app in my C7. The lip sync is not right through the Firestick, only seems to affect this series and I can’t find a way to correct it. It’s perfect with the C7s app.
Its very odd. I don’t understand what’s going on.
Jack is ok in Atmos from an audio perspective to me. But I’m a bit brassed off with the cluttered interface and YouTube crackles so going to have another crack with ATV. Especially since they are bundling their TV service for free at the moment.

Jack is ok in Atmos from an audio perspective to me. But I’m a bit brassed off with the cluttered interface and YouTube crackles so going to have another crack with ATV. Especially since they are bundling their TV service for free at the moment.
Yeah, the interface is cluttered and gets worse depending on what’s in the recents row. It ends up as a jumbled version of the your apps and channels row for me. It’s annoying.
Apple TV+ is turning into a bit of a disaster on it too. I’m getting loads of noise and posterisation which I’ve never seen before with any 4K stuff and frame skips too. I’m told none of that is happening on the ATV, so I might be headed that way too.

Just installed the AppleTV app, it's useless, stuff can only be purchased on an Apple device, doh.

Just installed the AppleTV app, it's useless, stuff can only be purchased on an Apple device, doh.

the amazon prime app on Apple TV you can’t purchase anything just watch, so no different.

Yeah, the interface is cluttered and gets worse depending on what’s in the recents row. It ends up as a jumbled version of the your apps and channels row for me. It’s annoying.
Apple TV+ is turning into a bit of a disaster on it too. I’m getting loads of noise and posterisation which I’ve never seen before with any 4K stuff and frame skips too. I’m told none of that is happening on the ATV, so I might be headed that way too.
Apple TV is jerky on my tv too. Obviously the fire stick doesn’t like the encoding.

You can purchase via the itunes app on any windows device, don't need apple hardware at all

For Apple TV you need to manually change resolution to 2160p 50hz. If left on Auto it only outputs 1080p HDR.

For Apple TV you need to manually change resolution to 2160p 50hz. If left on Auto it only outputs 1080p HDR.
I‘ll have to believe you on that one. The Firestick is connected directly to the TV which says it‘s receiving 2160p with the auto setting
Anyway I’ve tried it and noticed two things straight away, even allowing for a bright room the title sequence for See still looks dreadful and at 2160p 50hz it now has masses of added stutter. Changing the output to 2160p 60hz seems to have cured the frequent stutter, I’m now getting just occasional stutters like before, but has done nothing to improve the picture noise.
Perhaps I have a faulty Firestick, the issues I see are very TV specific, or I’m very fussy. Don’t know which. :)

My Firestick 4k will only output 8bit HDR video whereas the Firetv Pendent I have outputs 10 and 12 bit.

The screenshots below are from my 2019 Philips Oled info screen which supports HDR10+ although any HDR has the same issue, not including Dolby Vision as I believe that is carried inside an 8 bit container. Both were playing Carnival Row

Both Fire TVs have exactly the same video settings and both were plugged into the same HDMI port on the TV alternately.

First pic is the FireTV 4k 2nd is the pendant and the third is for info from appleTV+ sideloaded to the Pendent.

I factory reset the Firetv 4k and still the same.

Can anyone explain this and if possible check their own 4k stick.

Could my stick be faulty although I don't see how?

The video on the pendent is far superior to the 4k stick even though there is no DV on it.

Firestick 4k
firestick4k.jpg

Pendent
pendent.jpg

AppleTV+
apletvplus.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. I am new to Firestick. One of my favourite websites will not work on Firefox because Ff operates an Adblocker, or so the message says. Can I disable this or perhaps install another browser?

Hi. I am new to Firestick. One of my favourite websites will not work on Firefox because Ff operates an Adblocker, or so the message says. Can I disable this or perhaps install another browser?
Try Amazon’s own browser, Silk. It’s your only other choice afaik.
Search will find it for you.

Thanks. My primary motive for getting Firestick was to have a browser that will play videos from a show jumping website. They have an app but its functionality is well stripped back.

Silk appears to work well, thanks.

Has the Netflix 24hz frame rate been resolved on the 4k stick yet? Only it's currently £29.99 if you order it through your Alexa speaker or phone app and been considering it so I can switch off the annoying ARC..

Has the Netflix 24hz frame rate been resolved on the 4k stick yet? Only it's currently £29.99 if you order it through your Alexa speaker or phone app and been considering it so I can switch off the annoying ARC..
I don't think so Paul, I was trying various programs and settings the other day on my 1080 TV and all I could do was change the motion issues from bad to worse. And that was on prime not Netflix!.

I don't think so Paul, I was trying various programs and settings the other day on my 1080 TV and all I could do was change the motion issues from bad to worse. And that was on prime not Netflix!.
Thanks, is it just the 4k Firestick or all of them? Only I have the 1080p Firestick but I rarely use it as I have the apps built into the TV now, so might have to try that out and see.. I was thinking of getting an Apple TV box but there's quite a price difference and if I can get 4k through the ATV+ app on the Firestick and get 4k with Disney+ when we get it I think I'll be happy, especially if I can switch off the ARC setting as my amp keeps defaulting to TV Audio everytime I switch it on which becomes annoying (I've even set a delayed input command on my Harmony which sometimes works and other times doesn't)

Thanks, is it just the 4k Firestick or all of them? Only I have the 1080p Firestick but I rarely use it as I have the apps built into the TV now, so might have to try that out and see.. I was thinking of getting an Apple TV box but there's quite a price difference and if I can get 4k through the ATV+ app on the Firestick and get 4k with Disney+ when we get it I think I'll be happy, especially if I can switch off the ARC setting as my amp keeps defaulting to TV Audio everytime I switch it on which becomes annoying (I've even set a delayed input command on my Harmony which sometimes works and other times doesn't)

you may not have any bother, a lot of people aren’t with4k, I only have the hd Netflix sub now so I can’t try anything 4k on the projector. most don’t seem to have any issues with 60hz, one program I tried that had judder with match frame rate on was 30hz according to the marantz video info page... it all seems so complicated but shouldn’t be!.

I was thinking of getting an Apple TV box but there's quite a price difference and if I can get 4k through the ATV+ app on the Firestick and get 4k with Disney+ when we get it I think I'll be happy, especially if I can switch off the ARC setting as my amp keeps defaulting to TV Audio everytime I switch it on which becomes annoying (I've even set a delayed input command on my Harmony which sometimes works and other times doesn't)
I think you'll be getting a Disney+ app in your TV's app store. Some info here.

Paul

Strangely, my AVR (Pioneer LX303) has recently started defaulting to TV audio when I switch it on. I also have the B8. I have always declined the LG updates when they pop up, so I assume my AVR must have updated at some point to cause this issue.

I think you'll be getting a Disney+ app in your TV's app store. Some info here.

Paul

Thanks, if the ATV+ app was on there I probably wouldn't bother with the 4k Firestick but it seems only the 2019 LG models are getting the ATV+ app, I still prefer the Firestick voice commands over anything else though.. much better than the LG voice commands that always end up doing web or Youtube searches, whatever you ask for lol

Strangely, my AVR (Pioneer LX303) has recently started defaulting to TV audio when I switch it on. I also have the B8. I have always declined the LG updates when they pop up, so I assume my AVR must have updated at some point to cause this issue.

It's a HDMI CEC ARC thing as far as I know, can be a right PIA for me sometimes, I'll be glad when I can finally switch it off..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom