NEWS: Apple iPhone sales in record fall

I can't imaging that it's only iPhones that's suffering, top end smart phone are very expensive now. No real innovation. Yes, they are getting a bit faster and a bit better but not ground breaking. The market is also now very saturated.
Example, I'm still using my Oneplus One and does everything I need, add a cheap sim only deal and voila. No need to upgrade yet.

I think market saturation and the fact that they are so fast and good has a lot more to do with it. I certainly don’t feel the need to update regularly. And further more, most markets are now covered.

I think that even Rs. 10000, we will get the mobile phone with good quality and apps. So people prefer that. And also the price of the iphone increases day by day.

I think that even Rs. 10000, we will get the mobile phone with good quality and apps. So people prefer that. And also the price of the iphone increases day by day.
You’ll never know until you’ve experience the difference. Been there done that and went back. Sure it works, but it’s not comparable.

I have just sold my technology funds oddly enough.
The changes in mobile phones are getting smaller and more expensive every year plus various websites are reporting drops in new phone sales.

Oh, and 5G won't make much difference to the average user.

Not a surprise, people are happier to hang on to their phones for longer so sales are dropping and I doubt this is only affecting Apple. People pay more for the phone then keep it longer either by buying the phone outright or because they are on longer contracts where the mobile provider has subsidised the handset.

Gone are the years where all of the manufacturers were dazzling us with feature after feature each year. As i've said before on other threads there arent that many things left to do currently until we maybe get a big jump in battery tech. Apple are always a little more conservative in only releasing things when its ready compared to some of the others like we've seen with the couple of Samsung disasters like exploding batteries or folding phones where the screens break.

I get the impression Apple know they have priced themselves too high but not sure how to compensate. I am keeping my 6s till it dies, I like the product, I like the software, I like the iCloud integration but by eck them prices on the new phones are eye watering enough that I will hold out till the last.

Obviously options for other makes but they have issues for me, one in particular is security but no amount of low pricing would get me on their platform.

Also emphasis nowadays seems to be on the camera and what software is used for it. I prefer a DSLR but go around tourist hotspots and it is phones everywhere. Great fun scaring people too engrossed or photo bombing. The only photo feature I like on my 6s is the panorama. The rest is OK for a quick snap but not as good as a DSLR.

On balance, I will get a new one, but at the prices they want, when mine dies. That is even after offering me a buy back at the moment that really is not enough.
Wait 'till the sales people big it up. It will be the new must have. The networks have spent a lot of loot on the licences and need payback.

Edit. 5g is using higher frequencies, that has issues.

Last edited:
Looks like Samsung have lost sales too , but Huawei have made massive gains (year on year figures) .

idc-q1-2019-smartphone-sales.jpg

source: Phone sales declined in 2019, though Huawei increased sales by 50%

Looks like Samsung have lost sales too , but Huawei have made massive gains (year on year figures) .

idc-q1-2019-smartphone-sales.jpg

source: Phone sales declined in 2019, though Huawei increased sales by 50%
Yeah saw Samsung's report. Big drops in profit, with Apples orders having an effect too. Not matter whether a phone is £1000 or £800 for Huawei P30 Pro, people just are not upgrading like they were.

Also, since now you can upgrade mid contract for next to nothing in the US and I think not much here, the usual two year cycle has dropped off the face of the earth too.

The only thing being improved is the camera and thats going to plateau soon as for most people, what we'll get this year and maybe next will be PLENTY god enough.

Even a folding phone (that works) is not going to set the world on fire (itself maybe huh huh)

Trouble is what Apple is going to do about it. I was very surprised how well the markets reacted to this as the slightest drop had them planning for the end of the world for Apple. Tim has been saying, wait for it, were going to be releasing products like you wouldn't believe, for the last two years.

Last edited:

I think it will in practice. The thing that most annoys me about my current phone isn't the lack of some headline feature (screen, cameras, face recognition, etc.), but that when I'm at an event with a huge number of people, even getting all the bars of 4G still leads to rubbish performance. So for example I can't listen to the radio commentary (via the internet) at a Premiership football match, plus pictures at other big events can take ages to upload to social media.

Apple no longer release sales numbers, these numbers have already been seen as misleading by another marketing firm which have apple at twice amount sold.

If I was Samsung, I would be more worried about xiomi, Hauwi, htc etc then apple.

when I'm at an event with a huge number of people
That would something worth working on - phones being able to play a local source without needing individual connections and the event could provide the source.
It would solve a lot of problems.

It is in LTE (Long Term Evolution) which covers 3G onward:
LTE Multicast
I don't remember anything in 4G so it must be new for 5G use at the higher frequencies.

Deleted. Talking cobblers.

Last edited:
Higher frequencies don't get through solid materials as easily and some have been chosen that are affected more so which lets contained cells be set up with reasonable ease.

I need to pay more attention to this. Orfski for a read.

Edit.
DOH!. Ignore previous. Fixated on 5g and translated to the wrong term. Work acronyms playing havoc. Really need to read up.

Don't worry, I got a load of this from a post in The Register by a buy who works on the standards.

I usually like to understand the tech details.

Good. Hopefully they'll continue to fall, and it *might* just spur them into realising £1000+ price tags for phones is ludicrous :facepalm:

I hate my 6 - by far the worst iPhone I've ever had (it's this particular handset rather than the in general though, I think) - but I can't bring myself to get rid of it as even second hand prices of X's are still silly. This was £450 (I think) second hand, from this site, back in 2016. But the 7 or 8 isn't enough of a jump to warrant paying out again the X is just too much. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're great phones, but they don't do THAT much more than a 6/6S does to warrant to change (and lose the headphone socket, which is still useful)

I've never been an Apple fan, they've pushed prices of phones upwards, and unfortunately other manufacturers have followed, £1000 plus for a phone is ridiculous and it appears the general public agrees as phone sales are dropping, of course that lack of newer features, lost of the headphone jack for example probably plays a role but I bet price plays the biggest part.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom