NEWS: Apple iPhone SE available for preorder

I’ll be there at 1pm on Friday to order. Two, in fact. One to replace my original SE bought just after release, the other to replace my wife’s phone, which is my old 16GB iPhone 5s, which is barely still going.

Would love an 11 but don’t like the size and no way can I justify the price of the smaller Pro, so the new SE is perfect as far as I’m concerned.

PS: Anyone else remember the days when you couldn’t move for posts in here whenever there was a new iPhone launch?!

I've been waiting a while for this phone and will get one - also to replace my original SE (8GB!). It still seems too much to pay for a phone, but I'm bought into the Apple eco system and the old phone ran out of RAM a few years back. I guess it will sell well, time will tell.

Do you mean as in online?
In common with most other shops aren't all the Apple stores closed?
Yes, ‘there’ as in logged on and ready to click ‘buy’. Wouldn’t dream of queuing up outside a shop for anything.

Looks great for the money, never have you been able to buy a brand new iPhone at launch for such a cheap price!:thumbsup:

At half the price it would be great, however as per usual you have to pay for the Apple name thus making it way overpriced for what’s on offer, so it will only be for Apple fans (Or those that have been coerced (Without them knowing it) into the Apple eco system) who will lap it up. (Never understood why people buy brands when they could get the same at a much better value price with all the same perks and support)

Bill

@Abacus I run a tight ship, name comparable models please so that your post contains actual useful buying advice. With the UK retail pricing also (none of that import from 2000 miles away). Otherwise your post is just noise :cool:
PS: Anyone else remember the days when you couldn’t move for posts in here whenever there was a new iPhone launch?!
The peak was iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 generations

@Abacus I run a tight ship, name comparable models please so that your post contains actual useful buying advice. With the UK retail pricing also (none of that import from 2000 miles away). Otherwise your post is just noise :cool:

Be a long post, just look at any android phone at half the price and you will find the same or better specs. (BTW: you do know where the iPhones are made)

Bill

Be a long post, just look at any android phone at half the price and you will find the same or better specs. (BTW: you do know where the iPhones are made)

Bill
The place of manufacturer is not the point. Any product sold within the UK - and EU while we remain a member - has to conform with higher standards of consumer rights and consumer product safety laws than many parts of the developing world

I have a zero tolerance policy and ban members trolling Apple owners the sake of it.

Signed, owner of a five year old Android model ;)

Probably the best value for money phone Apple has released in years. It just goes to show we are really paying the extra £600 for the OLED screen/Notch/secondary cameras.

This phone will sell well.

I was going to wait for this, but took plunge and went back on contract to get 11 pro, don't regret it for a minute, the latest camera trickery is very good. Though I do miss touch id/home button still find face id a but annoying. I think this would of been even better if the kept the home button but had a notch at top with screen to edge like.

I was going to wait for this, but took plunge and went back on contract to get 11 pro, don't regret it for a minute, the latest camera trickery is very good. Though I do miss touch id/home button still find face id a but annoying. I think this would of been even better if the kept the home button but had a notch at top with screen to edge like.
I was thinking the same but knowing Apple that would have rocketed the price by another £100 or so. lol

That's the thing they need to keep a difference to charge more!

Fantastic price for the spec if you can live with the screen size. The last time I had a phone that small was an old HTC. *However* we should all be thinking very carefully about privacy right now and our smartphones are going to be the primary area of concern for government surveillance.

I'm not an iPhone fan, don't like iOS but you cannot deny they make excellent hardware. My wife has been rocking her original SE for about 3 years now, doesn't like huge phones, and it's her birthday next month. I was going to get her a new iPad to replace her Air 2 but might get one of these instead, though her current SE does all she needs it to and the iPad gets a lot more use.

I went back to an old iPhone 7 end of last year and have been happy with it since. Camera is rubbish but I don’t really take pics. Otherwise, does everything I need, works great with streaming music in car and the size is great for me personally.

Based on that I would actually have gone for this SE if work hadn’t dried up for me at the moment as can’t really justify non essential purchases. Will probably look into this at some point in the future.

Bill

I’ve had a quick look, and it seems to contain the fastest mobile phone processor available from any manufacturer, so the other phones with “the same or better specs” seem to cost almost double what this does. Sounds great value to me.

Before this announcment I was determined that my iPhone 8 did not need replacing. But it would be around £300 or less to swap for a 2.5 year newer phone With more storage.

I’ll wait for a hands on review, hopefully containing some real photo examples/comparisons to the rest of the lineup (and maybe the 8).

Negatives for me are:
No white front.
No 3D Touch. This seems to have been scrapped forever which is a shame. One of the best innovations in phones of the past few years.

This phone is going head to head with the upcoming pixel 4a. Difficult choice...

A brand new iPhone for £419 is going to be pretty tempting for all those people rocking iPhones going back to the 5. My missus has an 8 (works phone) and an 11 pro (personal), the 11pro replaced a 5s that died very recently. If the SE had been out when the 5S died I think she would've gone for that.
I'm not a fan of the Apple eco system, purely because you're tied into their (expensive) phones all the time. This is certainly a (reasonably) economic way into Apple and I'm sure it'll sell oodles and oodles.
It's certainly not a budget priced phone by any means, there are oodles of cracking Android phones out there for less than £250, I'm currently rocking a Huawei P Smart that cost me £130.

Bill
Sounds amazing! Why haven’t I found an Android phone with the same or better processor than this for half the price?
Could you link it please as I’d love to buy one, don’t have to post loads, one will do.

(Never understood why people buy brands when they could get the same at a much better value price with all the same perks and support)

Bill

I could have agreed up the last part.
Their phones do tend to be overpriced. Some people do buy them for the iPhone badge.
I haven't bought into the "Apple" thing. In fact i'm slightly embarrassed to be seen sporting Apple gear.

But the thing is, every time i try to break away, there is nothing out there that compares overall.
Yes i would save a few quid initially, but the overall user experience wouldn't be the same.
There is one reason i buy Apple. It is because their stuff just works. The support and backup is second to none. Software updates and security patches are rapid. Apps just work.

So you are not really paying just for the hardware in itself, rather you are paying for the whole user experience/software.
I have other gear (watches and tablets) from Samsung/Android/Amazon which was cheaper, but it is so fragmented to use, it becomes a pain to actually maintain and use long term.
If somebody else got their act together tomorrow, and offered the same as Apple. I would jump ship at the first opportunity. Until then, this is a great phone at the right price for my wife and three children! :smashin:

Happy to see this released, about time I replaced my old 5S!

I don’t like large phones but wanted something to last a few years with a decent processor as I don’t upgrade often. Was starting to be concerned that they would delay this with all that’s going on right now :)

Black 64GB ordered for me and my wife’s gone for the same in white. Looking forward to next Friday.

Checked and I’ve had my original SE nearly four years. My wife’s been using my old 5s since then, and I got that in 2014. So it’ll be a massive improvement for her. If they last as long we’ll get more than our money’s worth.

Need to order a case and wireless charger now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom