NEWS: BBC licence fee to be scrapped?

I'm sure that at the next Notting Hill Carnival the BBC journalist reporting on it will also reference the colour of many of those there. ;)

False balance fallacy. Or are you suggesting the Notting Hill Carnival is equivalent to that Brexit... thing.

You do, don't pay for it and don't watch it. Simples.

Andre

Fine... but why should they face prosecution if they want to watch Channel 4 news or a streaming football game on Amazon?

How is that simple or fair?

Fine... but why should they face prosecution if they want to watch Channel 4 news or a streaming football game on Amazon?

As far as I know, the British TV Licence fee system is for watching any live TV broadcast in the UK, via any medium (including if it eventually comes via the internet, cable, etc). It is not a 'BBC Licence fee' or a 'BBC subscription'. What it does do though is to fund our entire public service broadcasting infrastructure, independently of government influence and/or commercial/sponsorship pressure, including BBC programming.

While I don't like everything that the BBC produces (nor would I expect to, that's the point) it is still overall far superior to any alternative we currently have. I'd be happy to pay the licence fee just to ensure the BBC continues to show programmes without adverts and without stupid channel ident logos, and to avoid crass rubbish like Love Island, etc.

Andre

As far as I know, the British TV Licence fee system is for watching any live TV broadcast in the UK, via any medium (including if it eventually comes via the internet, cable, etc). It is not a 'BBC Licence fee' or a 'BBC subscription'. What it does do though is to fund our entire public service broadcasting infrastructure, independently of government influence and/or commercial/sponsorship pressure, including BBC programming.

I'm afraid you're misinformed.

As stated previously

The UK broadcast network is maintained by Arqiva, a private commercial company.

The BBC pay Arqiva for its services just as ITV, C4, Sky etc etc do

Andre

if its that simples how do you also stop the Harassment letters they non stop send you for years and years .....
and they do !!
with prosecution threats , courts , criminal record and jail threats its not nice for so called a young mother to receive with a young child she may leave behind .
and so much waist of letters / paper .......

Simples i dont think so .

False balance fallacy.
Wrong. This was the politically correct BBC with an agenda. Does the BBC bring up the ethnicity of terrorists? Those doing knife crime? Child grooming? The Notting Hill Carnival?

So why do it here then? And they were also wrong in that there was only white people present. There was black people on the stage let alone in the audience.

Andre
If I stopped paying for Sky, Netflix, anything else, will I get letters every few months for ever?

I'm afraid you're misinformed.

As stated previously
Yes we would pay some kind of broadcasting fee even if we do not pay the BBC. I would be happy with that. I am abroad at the moment and vigorously avoid the BBC news programming because of its content. I have already seen a comments on a news programme here in Thailand about the BBC already using the word Pandemic in relation to the Coronavirus and spreading that around like a virus. They were even quoted during an interview with President Trump yesterday about using the word pandemic. They always quote the worst scenario no matter what the effect on people's mental well being. My hope and the hope of everybody that they are wrong, but I also wish they would keep their mouths shut just for once

Having a tv license is an annoyance. However, my worry would be that BBC programming would either disappear or go advert based.

If not liking license fee then you could watch just on demand with no ability to get live tv from an aerial. I know of people who do this so only on demand and not BBC or iplayer.

If you want live tv then is it not worth the cost?

I have already seen a comments on a news programme here in Thailand about the BBC already using the word Pandemic in relation to the Coronavirus and spreading that around like a virus. They were even quoted during an interview with President Trump yesterday about using the word pandemic. They always quote the worst scenario no matter what the effect on people's mental well being. My hope and the hope of everybody that they are wrong, but I also wish they would keep their mouths shut just for once
Every major media source is talking in these terms, because there is a real possibility of this becoming a pandemic. The World Health Organisation have stated that it could reach most if not all countries. Don't shoot the messenger springs to mind.

Why is that a worry? Someone else would make the programmes if there was a demand for it.

That's the whole problem - there is a lot of demand for Love Island for example.

There are some things that are worth making because they are worth making, while others are worth making because they attract large audiences and thus advertising/sponsorship money. The BBC should concentrate on the former.

Andre

That's the whole problem - there is a lot of demand for Love Island for example.

There are some things that are worth making because they are worth making, while others are worth making because they attract large audiences and thus advertising/sponsorship money. The BBC should concentrate on the former.

Andre
But Disney make outstanding documentaries. I choose to fund them.

Netflix make outstanding dramas. I choose to fund them.

Why should anyone fund the BBC?

I've never liked having to pay for a TV license but am worried fornthebcontent they produce and it all going advert based.

When it was just the 2 channels it was less of an issue but with all the on demand channels, the one annoyance I have is adverts on on demand itv channels

I’d be happy if I didn’t need a license to watch live tv on the subscription platforms. eg sky Sports. :)

Even with Sky, the only thing I watch live is football, everything else is recorded so I just skip the adverts.

Looks interesting. The BBC are I am sure trying to string it out and expect big changes. References to articles they have to take down I am sure is so true. I am in Thailand at the moment and I look at the press headlines regarding the coronavirus, none of which are good but the BBC top them all on alarming people with headlines like 'What are the chances of dying?'

i do not care what they think or how they justify their headlines something like this is really not acceptable. Apologies for the bold print, i cannot find a way of turning it off

Last edited:
the BBC top them all on alarming people with headlines like 'What are the chances of dying?'

Sounds like a very sensible piece of information, which a lot of people would like to know the answer to.

Now if it was the Daily Express, their clickbait headline would probably read "Public shocked as scientists reveal most people are going to die..." and the body text (after several meandering pages of adverts) would clarify "... before they reach the age of 110".

Andre

I thought i would get this one going again. Here is a link to BBC salaries. Not only are many of the presenters paid huge salaries but even people like Dan walker on the breakfast news is earning £260,000 a year. Naga Munchetty who is a relative newby to BBC breakfast seems to have grabbed a mouth watering £190,000 a year. The BBC breakfast programme produces the most biased and aggressive level of questioning that I have witnessed other than US news programmes and I fail to see how they earn this money. Gary Lineker and Zoe Ball obviously take the prize,Gary earns 1.7.million and Zoey 1.3 million. It seems by publishing the salaries it is OK??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom