NEWS: Black Water: Abyss Movie Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
How was the cinema experience?

No, nope, no way. Tenet, maybe. Although I'd probably prefer it next year, without masks. There's NO way I was making my return to the cinema for Black Water: Abyss. PR Screener "thankfully".

Sounds a winner cant wait , not to see it! Black Water: Abysmal.

Thanks for the Review Cas. I feel that it could have been cut down a bit. The Trailer, I mean. It was about 2:08 too long.
Will avoid it like a coughing Drunk with no mask on.

No, nope, no way. Tenet, maybe. Although I'd probably prefer it next year, without masks. There's NO way I was making my return to the cinema for Black Water: Abyss. PR Screener "thankfully".

That’s a relief! I was thinking as I read the review - “He went out for THIS?!l”. I don’t think even Nolan will be enough to get me back to the cinema right now, but not in a million years for this junk.

Last edited:
I wont be watching this film, I don't like primal fear movies much anyway, though I did like the original Jaws.
Let's not forget that there is always a potential cult following category for these type of low budget horror films, especially after they have been panned to death but not put totally into obscurity.

I have limitless card....feel bad not using it.

Hard to believe that the makers don't appear to know just how bad a product is, about this film, or indeed anything else submitted for consumption. Or is it a case of "You should be grateful for anything we dish up, plebs". I'm increasingly thinking it's the latter.

Hard to believe that the makers don't appear to know just how bad a product is, about this film, or indeed anything else submitted for consumption. Or is it a case of "You should be grateful for anything we dish up, plebs". I'm increasingly thinking it's the latter.

So, given the director's track record, I think it's safe to assume that many might have expected this to turn into a watchable effort in post-production.

The reality is that his first film definitely worked out that way (he spent weeks getting real crocodile footage in advance, then spliced that in), but this one just appears to have been thrown together from dailies with little structure, editing or finesse. Without all of those elements, I'm sure even Crawl would have ended up feeling like watching a character crawl around the same basement area for an hour worried about what would come out of the shadows; it's the work done in post-production that can turn that kind of a simple shoot into something that at least looks like a whole not more.

So, in a way, I can see why - based on his track record - they greenlit this, hoping he put something watchable together in the editing suite rather than got drunk and pressed a few buttons.

Where I'd have raised an eyebrow is with the casting. You need somebody you're going to get behind, and these were just z-list nobodies who made the even worse error of not being in the least bit invested in the production. So if they're acting like they're swimming around a pool repeatedly, nobody is ever going to be able to transform that into feeling like they are trapped in a cave with crocodiles in the water.

Of course, when they looked at the finished product and went 'let's send that to theatres' they were almost entirely banking on the fact that there was literally nothing else to watch, so somebody was going to chump up and see it.

Around 1:24 / 1:27.... "what ever you do don't splash".... hmmmm :rolleyes:. They're in a cave with lots of water. 😐

Around 1:24 / 1:27.... "what ever you do don't splash".... hmmmm :rolleyes:. They're in a cave with lots of water. 😐
They missed a chance - they could have had them doing the Classic Ninja Movie "Running across water without sinking" thing, & renamed it "Leaping Caver, Crouching Croc"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom