News: Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2020 - What to expect

Thanks for the update, unfortunately its 4 plus hours from were I live, so sadly wont be attending, shame there isn't a northern event.

Finally attending after years of debating!

Looking forward to it :)

Who says there's a North South divide?

Who says there's a North South divide?

It's less about a north/south divide and more about targeting the larger customer base - the UK has a much larger population in the south, and so for companies trying to get as many people to view their new products as possible, it makes sense to host it where most people are :)

There is a Hifi Show in the north, it’s called the North West Audio show. There are loads of audio/Hifi shows round the country, they just don’t advertise on here.

Also Bristol is in the South West - very different the the “south” and I don’t just mean the accents ;):rotfl:

It will be interesting to see if "Denon" or "Marantz" will announce replacements for their top of the range AV amps (AVC-X8500H / SR8012) as it's been approximately two years or more since they come onto the market.

If it was about getting a large volume of people close by wouldn't London have been better?

There is a Hifi Show in the north, it’s called the North West Audio show. There are loads of audio/Hifi shows round the country, they just don’t advertise on here.

Also Bristol is in the South West - very different the the “south” and I don’t just mean the accents ;):rotfl:
Found it, in Cheshire.

If it was about getting a large volume of people close by wouldn't London have been better?

Then you have to consider transport costs, ease of access, venue costs, hotels costs - you're trying to attract customers to pay out of their own wallet. I've paid 79 for a hotel with parking included, which wouldn't have been possible in London :)

Having worked for a company that hosts events in London, I can tell you it's immensely expensive.

We had sponsors such as Microsoft who paid 15K just to have their name there and do a short presentation.

Will give this show a miss for the second successive year. I live in the Midlands and not prepared to waste another day with a 200 mile round trip ( not fun getting into Bristol during the rush hour ) viewing a lot of equipment that is frankly fanciful and out of my budget. If they moved the show to somewhere more central, then I would make the effort.

Will give this show a miss for the second successive year. I live in the Midlands and not prepared to waste another day with a 200 mile round trip ( not fun getting into Bristol during the rush hour ) viewing a lot of equipment that is frankly fanciful and out of my budget. If they moved the show to somewhere more central, then I would make the effort.
im with u

It will be interesting to see if "Denon" or "Marantz" will announce replacements for their top of the range AV amps (AVC-X8500H / SR8012) as it's been approximately two years or more since they come onto the market.

I highly doubt it ! X8500 is still as future proofed as an AVR can be ! the only 13 channel (in 1 box) of amplification offer for consumers, all object based audio formats supported, All HDR flavours supported, an upgrade program for HDMI2.1 when the SoC lands. Frankly that's already a phenomenal offering, if only they could add Roon support but again they will be competing against their own Heos.

I highly doubt it ! X8500 is still as future proofed as an AVR can be ! the only 13 channel (in 1 box) of amplification offer for consumers, all object based audio formats supported, All HDR flavours supported, an upgrade program for HDMI2.1 when the SoC lands. Frankly that's already a phenomenal offering, if only they could add Roon support but again they will be competing against their own Heos.

I thought that myself Sky watsher. I'm not one of those AV/Hi-Fi enthusiasts who change their equipment on a regular basis by any means. In fact I have a forty five year plus Thorens TD-125 turntable with an SME 3009 fixed head arm and a Shure V15 mk111 cartridge, and my Kef 104.2 floorstanders are about the same age. But as I have a "Denon" AVC-A11XVA AV amp which whilst is in "as new" condition (twelve plus years old now) it obviously doesn't have Atmos / DTS:X .

I bought four over head speakers which are now in place when KEF were offering their purpose designed Atmos / DTS:X speakers at 20% off with keyhole fittings for downward firing application which is how they're positioned. I was just wondering when the price of those two AV amps might start to lower. Recently the "Denon" went down to £2,799 from quite a few dealers (although for a short period some time ago it was down to £2,579 which I didn't know about) but it's now going back up in price again as with the "Marantz" SR8012.

It was just a matter of when those two AV amps might be replaced, and whether going for one of these existing AV amps with a (considerable) price drop which tends to happen to pave the way for their newer models. Also seeing what benefits there might be regarding (any real) advancements on the eventual new model(s) over the outgoing ones, and whether the price difference, with the resultant drop on the older models, is worth paying the premium for the replacement(s).

I realise two years is not very long but these two companies, going by past history, do tend to change their receiver / amps on a fairly regular (two year or so) basis. I'm in no hurry to replace my present AV amp by the way as it's still a cracker and great with two channel reproduction. Also both of these present AV amps got very good reviews with reference to their two channel audio as well which is very important to me. My present setup is 7.1 and ready for 7.1.4 when I eventually replace my venerable "Denon" AV amp, and yes I do need a one box solution. Also if one is paying cash rather than by card there may even be room for a little bit of negotiation who knows. If one doesn't ask one doesn't get, the worst that can happen is "sorry no can do".

Last edited:
...and lets be fair it is NOT £12.50 for an advance ticket, it's £13 - because they then have the cheek to charge a 50p booking fee...it's not a concert guys...
So £1 reduction - woohooooo

Looks like the Arcam AVRs will finally be ready for sale in the UK market rather than the pre-production rubbish that current owners have to put up with.

Bill

I’ve really enjoyed the Bristol Show in previous years. Taking the usual caveats into consideration of listening in hotel rooms at shows with lots of other people in far from perfect acoustic spaces, it’s certainly flagged up to me brands and products of interest that I wouldn’t have otherwise considered: Quad, Neat, Dali, PMC being standouts.

And it’s also warned me off combinations and house sounds that were so shrill it felt like they were making my ears bleed. And there were surprisingly plenty of rooms that for this reason I only lasted a few seconds. It wasn’t always the volume either - just screechy plate-scraping treble.

It was listening to an Anthem demo a few years ago that eventually led me to purchasing an Anthem amp. It was the most musical impressive demo I heard that day and it was coming from an AV amp!

So even if you’re not in the market now to replace any component, it’s handy to hear a few things that you might try later on the used market, but a little better informed than buying blind, or just creating a mental shortlist to take a closer look at later.

And as far as being central is concerned, spare a thought for those in Cornwall. For them, Bristol IS ‘up north’!

If anyone fancies going and is in the Peterborough area or en-route to Bristol, but would prefer not to drive, give me a shout. I kind of would like to go but as yet undecided.

Cheers :)

The South has the Windsor show, usually in the Show Ground which is always well attended and offers big venue rooms. The Midlands tried the NEC years ago, not well attended, this was followed with one at a Hotel next to Silverstone GP circuit. Bottom line is that they are there, you need to watch out for them; maybe Bristol is better promoted than some of the others. And if you are after second hand kit the Tonbridge Audiojumble in September is well worth the trip, even if you do live the other end of the country, (see the March hi-news for a look at last years event offers eg 2 complete Quad 33/303/FM2 systems for £600!).

I go most years but then again I am only a 25min train journey away. But if you are looking to buy something don't forget you can often get 15% off in the Audio T shops on site.
I got my B&W speakers a few years back so 15% off well paid for the day out.

Just a few quick questions for those of you that have attended the event before. Because of my health and certainly that of my wife's I cannot pre-book tickets. So, are the queues long to get in? Is there good car parking close. I cannot walk far and queuing would take it's toll on this particular old fart.

The main queues are before the 10am start and take a while to go down. The Marriott has its own multi storey style car park IIRC. Not sure it has a lift and the ramp up is quite steep. There is another parking structure around the corner but there is a short uphill walk. Parking for more than five hours was more than I’m willing to pay. It’s right close to the city centre shops and Cabot Circus.

I use the park and ride from Brislington which drops off just before the hotel. Pick up is in the same road to go back. Probably other P&Rs available. Inside they prefer visitors to use the stairs but there are lifts available. Sometimes a bit of a wait.

Hope that helps :)

I use the park and ride from Brislington which drops off just before the hotel. Pick up is in the same road to go back.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for that info. I was going to go by train from Reading, but the P&R looks like a great option, so I'll probably just drive now.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom