NEWS: BritBox streaming service goes live in UK with Channel 4 now on board

Is there anywhere I can see what the current lineup is on britbox UK? I don't want to even take on the free trial before I can view what shows it has. Even the britbox website doesn't mention content.

The best way is to sign up for the trial, it does offer a large library from different decades. Far better value than Apple TV+ . It’s just the question whether you’re happy paying for something that was/is available for free.

Last edited:
So what platforms can you access this on? There didn't appear to be a Roku channel when I looked last night.
The website is particularly sparse on details and just shows Samsung, Apple TV, iPhone and Android. It also looks like you can stream on browsers as well.

So what platforms can you access this on? There didn't appear to be a Roku channel when I looked last night.
The website is particularly sparse on details and just shows Samsung, Apple TV, iPhone and Android. It also looks like you can stream on browsers as well.

Good point. I looked last night on my NowTV box (Roku) my Amazon Prime stick and on my Sony Android TV's Play store app with no britbox apps on either. I don't really want to watch it on my PC connected to my TV as the screen settings on my TV are for PC only and are to bright etc.

According to the news it will be rolling out to most devices over the next few months, so you will need
to keep checking if you want to try it out.
NowTV although using a Roku box/stick has a very limited number of apps available, so may not even get it at all. (Fingers crossed though)

Bill

Interested but only if the app is available on my 2017 QLED set. I’m not going to spend additional money to get access to this.

Well I signed up for their 30 days free trail. Took a look for 10 minutes then cancelled my subscription.
Yes there is a fair amount of stuff on there but most of the stuff I would be interested in I already have (Only Fools, Life on Mars, Fawlty Towers etc) I guess they will be adding content in time but at the mo, for me, its just not worth the extra £5.99. So I have it still till Dec 8th when my sub expires. I'll hold out till next spring when D+ starts here.

The wife was always watching Dr Who on Netflix and never seemed to tire from repeatedly watching. Guess now if she wants keep continually watching will have to put her hands in her purse to continue, BritBox has nothing to offer me to pay £5.99.

Yes originals aren't everything but I would really appreciate rare examples of 70s TV such as the original series of Thriller from the early 70s. I admit that this show was produced by ITC but it was shown on ITV. when I searched the 70s section of britbox it was limited. It actually had Life on Mars made in the noughties but set in the 70s.

Get some more 70s and 80s shows, The Professionals, The Sweeney, Robin of Sherwood, Dempsey and Makepeace etc and it would pretty much be a no brainer at the price

I’d be semi tempted by classic doctor who to be honest.

Interested but only if the app is available on my 2017 QLED set. I’m not going to spend additional money to get access to this.

just checked and it’s already available on my set. Gonna binge watch One Foot in the Grave.

Subscribed as soon as I could. I used to use the BBC Store and it was disappointing it closed. And it’s disappointing to note that the store had more content than Britbox !

At launch it’s a big let down. OF&H ( in their edited versions I believe ) Fawlty Towers.....stuff like this that Netflix has had for years.

for me, some shows are more obvious than others for being on there, but are missing, for example;

Minder

where the hell is Minder ?

My problem with this service is that there is so much new content to get through that the last thing I want to do is go back and watch Minder or even OF&H. I loved both shows, but for me personally there is way too much great new stuff for me to get through, to make time to re-watch those except on an occasional basis. I'm certainly not paying for it.

but for me personally there is way too much great new stuff for me to get through, to make time to re-watch those except on an occasional basis. I'm certainly not paying for it.
Hi,
I'm struggling to find good new stuff, just wondered what you are watching.
Regards,
Paul

Hi,
I'm struggling to find good new stuff, just wondered what you are watching.
Regards,
Paul
Hi

My definition of good might not be the same as yours. Mostly US stuff like the Mandelorian and Watchmen with other bits & pieces thrown in on UK catchup or Youtube. Add to that the backlog of iTunes rentals & films plus discs and other stuff ;)

Hi

My definition of good might not be the same as yours. Mostly US stuff like the Mandelorian and Watchmen with other bits & pieces thrown in on UK catchup or Youtube. Add to that the backlog of iTunes rentals & films plus discs and other stuff ;)
Hi,
Mandalorian, get 9.1 on IMDB so you are not alone in liking that one, Watchmen, not so good at 7.1 but we'll try a couple of each and see how we get on.
We usually watch "low brow" US series, crime stuff, and a bit of Syfi, my wife is well into US political dramas, but we'll try anything once.
I find a lot of my series by looking at Sidereel reviews, don't know if you've seen it Sidereel
Regards,
Paul

Hi,
Mandalorian, get 9.1 on IMDB so you are not alone in liking that one, Watchmen, not so good at 7.1 but we'll try a couple of each and see how we get on.
We usually watch "low brow" US series, crime stuff, and a bit of Syfi, my wife is well into US political dramas, but we'll try anything once.
I find a lot of my series by looking at Sidereel reviews, don't know if you've seen it Sidereel
Regards,
Paul
Hi

Nope. I tend to pick up new series from here and Youtube. Watchmen is probably better than Mandalorian right now but Mandalorian is still new. Both are great. As much as I am a disc person (especially 4k), I can definitely recommend iTunes for access to a lot of stuff for excellent prices. Especially as they are constantly cycling their reductions. I've picked up 4K HDR/Atmos films for a fiver while watched curiosities (things that sound interesting or I've heard of) for 99p. I've discovered some great stuff that way like the film called "The Endless".

Hi

Nope. I tend to pick up new series from here and Youtube. Watchmen is probably better than Mandalorian right now but Mandalorian is still new. Both are great. As much as I am a disc person (especially 4k), I can definitely recommend iTunes for access to a lot of stuff for excellent prices. Especially as they are constantly cycling their reductions. I've picked up 4K HDR/Atmos films for a fiver while watched curiosities (things that sound interesting or I've heard of) for 99p. I've discovered some great stuff that way like the film called "The Endless".
I'll take a look at The Endless and iTunes, and of course keep my eyes open on here (I've mainly used AVForums for buying advice ) but now I've got my 4K TV I'll be looking for good stuff to watch.
Regards,
Paul

Signed up to this as Samsung are offering a 3 month free deal. Have to say initial impressions very disappointing. Where's the likes of Tenko, George & Mildred, Bad Girls, Civvies, Our Friends in The North, The Lakes, etc., etc?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom