NEWS: Cineworld Cinemas to reopen by 10th July and then close again

I don’t know the specifics for each concession item but FWIW multiplexes keep around 84% of revenue from the sale of snacks but less than 50% of ticket price.

Doesn’t surprise me with their own stuff and the sweets and drinks because they are marked up so much anyway - like bags of sweets that sell elsewhere for between £1 and £1.50 but £2.50 in the cinema.

But I was asking specifically about Baskin Robbins ice cream. That seems to be sold at the same price as BR stands. I get 20% off. There is the cost of the ice cream (whereas the cost of popcorn is minimum I suspect the cost of the ice cream is significant). Then you get BR’s take. I doubt there is that much left for Cineworld. Same goes for the Starbucks in the cinema.

Cheers,

Nigel

This is clearly a gamble on Cineworld's part. As has been noted earlier people have to get to their seats and also be free to leave them to visit the toilets if they need to. The ongoing ticket price battle between the 3 major chains putting seats as low as £5 has already cut into their profits. The cinema has to have a reasonable capacity in order to recoup the price the distributors charge for allowing their film to show. This is carefully monitored and each performance is protected by a code to enable the distributor to know when, and where, the film is shown.

Cinemas depend heavily of food and drink income to balance the books, hence the ridiculously high prices they charge for warmed-up precooked popcorn and such. Mooky Greidinger has already pulled out of a multi-million dollar deal to buy a major Canadian cinema chain which was proposed before the virus hit the business. His purchase of the Regal chain in the USA has not been a total success. I would suspect that the film making industry will step in to help relaunch the business for the major chains by offering subsidies. If this doesn't work there is a chance that cinemas will close for good. Some of the smaller cinemas, namely the Picturehouse part of the business, might have difficulties with smaller auditoriums and distancing.
Perhaps multiplexes should reintroduce mid movie intermissions 🤔 As that would allow everyone to exit the auditorium en-masse to go toilet and get some fresh air plus potentially double their profit per film when audience gets refills.

The last time I recall a movie having an intermission was when my local indie showed 70mm print of 2001 A Space Odyssey, which had this going into intermission. I’m sure an auteur like Nolan wouldn’t mind mind doing things like this which hark back to the golden age of cinema.

I think it's great they're opening again, we really need to start getting things back to normal, well as normal as they can be i guess. With that being said, my closest Cineworld is 50+ miles away and while i do usually go there for a big release, it's simply too much money and effort with all the social distancing, a shopping trip to Asda is enough to wind me up these days.

theres always those with a small bladder who need to get up and squeeze past everyone on the row. How are they supposed to social distance?

how long before all the delayed movies get new release shedules. All well and good the cinemas reopening but if theres nothing new to draw you in the numbers will be low.

It’s an interesting gamble for the big films with July release dates. I can imagine it being a fine balance between “it’s a smash because people were desperate to get back to the cinemas” and “it’s a flop because audiences are still too apprehensive to return”.

Cheers,

Nigel

how long before all the delayed movies get new release shedules. All well and good the cinemas reopening but if theres nothing new to draw you in the numbers will be low.

I think we will see a very different cinema for a while. With separation rules limiting the numbers in each showing and increased cleaning times between each showing I suspect it is going to be a small number of films being shown across multiple screens. Where normally a big multiplex might be showing 8-10 different films I reckon they will be down to 2 or 3.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think we will see a very different cinema for a while. With separation rules limiting the numbers in each showing and increased cleaning times between each showing I suspect it is going to be a small number of films being shown across multiple screens. Where normally a big multiplex might be showing 8-10 different films I reckon they will be down to 2 or 3.

Cheers,

Nigel
its rare that ive been to the cinema and its been packed, even event movies. Maybe Saturday night at 8pm but earlier showings and the place feels deserted.

The first confirmed film out of the gate on 10 July is Proxima (delayed from 8 May), a low key astronaut drama starring Eva Green and Matt Dillon.

There are a few theories (scientific not social media) that this virus is now in the eco-system and is here to stay, much like the flu. I've also been surprised (and shocked) to learn how many people die from flu every year, stats that I've only seen since this virus hit the world.

Seasonal flu (not at all the same as a cold) can be very serious, and can lead to pneumonia which is usually the killer. Flu kills thousands of people every year.

Like COVID-19, the elderly and people with respiratory illnesses are most likely to suffer serious consequences from flu infections if they catch it. However, the different is that the vaccine process is understood, and as the flu virus mutates, new vaccine variants are released annually to counter the most widespread strain. Seasonal flu is typically present during the winter months, and fades away during the summer months. It moves across the world affecting the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere as the seasons change.

Some years, the Seasonal flu vaccines are more successful than others. But, the biggest different to COVID-19 is that flu is far more difficult to catch (I don't know the science as to why this is the case). Every now and then, new and unpredicted stains immerge (sometimes they jump from other animal species) for which there is no vaccine (Bird flu, Swine Flu for example).

I got Swine flu back in 2009 and developed pneumonia (I was a fit and healthy and in my 30s at the time). The pneumonia flawed me for a couple of week, and it took me a year to fully recover.

Incidentally, pneumonia is a bit of a catch-all word for any condition when the lungs are infected and its difficult to get oxygen into the blood - there are various different causes and types, and reasons for developing pneumonia - it can be bacterial or virus based. Often after flu, when the body is week, you develop a secondary (bacterial) infection. I had bacterial pneumonia, which fortunately responded to antibiotics.

Other than vaccines, even now, there's not much that can be done medically to fight a virus once a person is infected. Hospital treatment can provide breathing assistance & can support other organs that are infected to give the patient the best chance of recovery, but hospitals can't 'cure' virus infections. It's the body's own immune response that (hopefully) kills the virus, and allows the person to recover.

Research suggests that COVID-19 may well have an active and less-active phase, just like Season flu does, which is why there is so much concern about the second-wave.

I don't know how I feel about going back to the cinema. I really want to see Top Gun Maverick and Tenet on the biggest screens possible...

Regards,
James.

opening now moved to 31st July, Same as AMC in The US.

opening now moved to 31st July, Same as AMC in The US.

Just noticed this. Was looking to contact them because my wife, my son and I had decided we are going to freeze our unlimited memberships.

We had decided this mostly because we do not feel comfortable with the safety just yet but also because there is not much on and the releases are being pushed back to August at the earliest.

With US states going back into lockdown, cinemas in the US aren’t opening as quickly as expected and I can’t imagine many would want to release their $200m films without the US market.

Cheers,

Nigel

I got Swine flu back in 2009 and developed pneumonia (I was a fit and healthy and in my 30s at the time). The pneumonia flawed me for a couple of week, and it took me a year to fully recover.

similar story to me without the swine flu last October , distinctly unpleasant and that's before you start talking about chest drains , its taken me until now to get even a semblance of normality and then covid blows up , between the both I've pretty much written off a year of my life ........

and there's no way in hell would you catch me in a cinema any time soon , and I wanted to see topgun as well !!!!!

similar story to me without the swine flu last October , distinctly unpleasant and that's before you start talking about chest drains , its taken me until now to get even a semblance of normality and then covid blows up , between the both I've pretty much written off a year of my life ........

and there's no way in hell would you catch me in a cinema any time soon , and I wanted to see topgun as well !!!!!

Yes, agree. I'm not even going to the pub this Saturday. No chance. I've only bumped into 3 of my mates during lockdown and I've missed all of them, but I'm still not going to do it. Heck,the supermarkets are bad enough.

Last edited:
Slightly relevant to this conversation , just heard that a pub near where we live is limited to 39-40 people including the beer garden , at a guess I would say that’s not even a third of what it normally could hold ....

Slightly relevant to this conversation , just heard that a pub near where we live is limited to 39-40 people including the beer garden , at a guess I would say that’s not even a third of what it normally could hold ....

Yes that kind of thing and those kind of measures are true. And people will be encouraged to sit in a beer garden in the open air, not in the pub, which makes sense. But cinemas don't have that luxury.

My local chain has just announced they'll reopen on the 17th. All screens will operate at 35% capacity, with every other row empty and with empty seats either side of each booking.

I don’t know the specifics for each concession item but FWIW multiplexes keep around 84% of revenue from the sale of snacks but less than 50% of ticket price.

I used to work at my local cinema years ago, usually the film studios take anywhere between 50-90% of the ticket sales and the rest to the cinema.
I remember with Skyfall, it was 90/10% split which they even prevented staff free tickets for the first week (we didn't restriction for staff during other films that year e.g. Dark Knight Rises/Avengers or Hobbit). For films like Skyfall the Cinema would make a larger return in week 4/5/6 where they may have a 30-50% cut of the ticket sales.

All in all, if you truly want to save the cinema then buying food is the only way. The Cinema's go out of their way to allow you to bring your own food which most people don't take granted for and still complain.

I used to work at my local cinema years ago, usually the film studios take anywhere between 50-90% of the ticket sales and the rest to the cinema.
I remember with Skyfall, it was 90/10% split which they even prevented staff free tickets for the first week (we didn't restriction for staff during other films that year e.g. Dark Knight Rises/Avengers or Hobbit). For films like Skyfall the Cinema would make a larger return in week 4/5/6 where they may have a 30-50% cut of the ticket sales.

All in all, if you truly want to save the cinema then buying food is the only way. The Cinema's go out of their way to allow you to bring your own food which most people don't take granted for and still complain.

Yes, sometimes distribution takes almost 100% of ticket sales for the first week on big movies, with the cinema venue having to rely on profits from snacks & drinks.

If the film is popular and stays in the cinema, Then each successive week the cinema retains more of the ticket sales.

Seems completely unfair to the cinema chains and a broken business model. It’s not going to be sustainable after the pandemic.

It does explain why 7UP and a bag of Revels are so expensive.

Regards,
James.

My local chain has just announced they'll reopen on the 17th. All screens will operate at 35% capacity, with every other row empty and with empty seats either side of each booking.

I'd be comfortable with that.

Tenet now pushed back to 12 August due to worsening COVID-19 situation in several US States and other locations around the would.

WARNER BROS. say they continue to monitor the situation and will only release the film when it’s safe to do so - so it could be delayed further.

Regards,
James.

Scientists are now saying this virus may never go away and is now in our eco-system. So going forward everything we do will be a risk.

I got a message saying Cineworld opening now gone back to July 31st.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom